Thread: Selenium, A Cancer And Detox Mineral, Also Improves Brain Function

Default Selenium, A Cancer And Detox Mineral, Also Improves Brain Function

Dr. Robert J. Rowen
    August 1, 2012
    Health Alert E-Mail

Cancer and detox mineral also improves brain function

I’ve been using large amounts of selenium to treat my patients for 25 years. I use it for both heavy metal detox and cancer prevention. It’s one of the most valuable minerals I’ve seen for these treatments. But now I have evidence that it’s extremely valuable for your brain as you grow older.

A study on 1,024 participants aged 65 or older looked at selenium levels and cognitive function. They found an inverse relationship between plasma selenium levels and the participants’ performance on time-based tests (assessing motor speed and coordination). In other words, the less selenium you have in your blood, the longer it takes to perform the tests. The more selenium you have, the faster your brain functions.

The obvious conclusion is to take more selenium for better coordination and motor speed. Most high potency supplements (like Healthy Resolve) contain about 200 mcg of selenium. I designed Advanced Detox Formula to deliver 200 mcg of selenium as well. This is especially effective at targeting heavy metals, which can hinder brain function.

I’m often asked if I have concern about someone using both, which delivers 400 mcg daily. Well, after 25 years of continuous observation, I’ve not seen any sign of selenium overdose at those levels. Aside from your brain, selenium also offers strong protection for your thyroid (including in thyroiditis) and liver.

A popular form of selenium is selenomethionine. However, in my clinical experience, sodium selenite is far better. This is the form used in Advanced Detox Formula. I’m probably the only one you read who suggests this form. That’s because it’s the original form of selenium I used with great success for years. I know it works.

But even more, I’ve recently done an exhaustive review of selenium literature, especially as related to cancer. The inorganic form of selenium, shunned by many, is the only form that your body can shuttle into a multitude of both organic and inorganic pathways it needs. Your body can convert it into organic selenium as needed. The organic form cannot go backward. They are already committed, omitting one key benefit of the inorganic selenite.

My interest in selenite has grown considerably. Incredible emerging research suggests that it can act as a powerful oxidant within cancer cells. Selenite can deplete cancer cells of glutathione, which they absolutely need to keep their abnormal redox (oxidation/reduction) balance. I’ve reported how selenium can protect against prostate cancer. Now we know it also protects against cognitive decline. You can find selenium in Healthy Resolve and Advanced Detox Formula. I think everyone should be taking supplemental selenite in today’s toxic world.

Yours for better health and medical freedom,
    Robert J. Rowen, MD

Ref: Mov Disord, 2010; 25(12): 1909-15.

www.secondopinionnewsletter.com

Default Re: Selenium, A Cancer And Detox Mineral, Also Improves Brain Function

OK, so who do you believe, Robert J Rowan or Sayer Ji? Which one is the better researcher?

In this instance, with all respect to Sayer, I tend to side with Rowan. For one thing, he's a doctor, by which I mean he has training and actual experience with patients which Sayer lacks. Secondly, his explanation makes sense (i.e. the difference between organic and inorganic, and that the body needs both) and that was something Sayer did not explore. After reading this item I have renewed faith in my LEF Two-Per-Day multivitamin/mineral...because it contains both!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Just a thought or two...
    Dr. Rowen might not be seeing toxicity in 25 years of using 400 mcg sodium selenite/day because so many Americans have heavy metal toxicity from vaccines, water sources, mercury amalgam fillings, etc.

When in doubt eat food sources

Very informative! I've used selenomethionine for prostate health for years. However, if I'm reading this article correctly, sodium selenite is the form that Dr. Rowan equates with brain protection. Is this correct? So, the selenomethionine does not afford the same protection for the brain? Am I overreading this?

It's confusing, all right. The way I read it, selenium ("generic") protects against cancer and improves cogntive function. The question then becomes, which form is preferable — selenomethionine or sodium selenite? Rowan seems to see a role for both. Hs argument, if I understand it correctly, is that selenomethionine is organic, which the body needs in this form and which cannot be converted to inorganic. Sodium selenite is inorganic, which the body also requires, but that can be converted to the organic form...which is why Rowan prefers it.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I don't put a lot of stock into what Dr. Rowen says and even when proven wrong refuses to change his mind. I can't remember specifics but a few years ago, I wrote to him about something glaringly wrong and got a nasty response back. I quit subscribing to his newsletter. With that said, why deliberately put something NOT found in food and known to be highly toxic into your body? I found a pretty good article comparing forms of selenium:

I have been using various forms of selenium in my animal studies for thirty years and find that the selenium-containing amino acids (selenomethionine and selenocysteine) and the methylated selenides are far superior to the inorganic forms of selenium (selenite and selenate) in terms of overall health, longevity and freedom from cancer.

In studies in New Zealand, it was found that selenomethionine was at least 75 percent bioavailable, compared to 59 percent for sodium selenite. Blood selenium levels rose more quickly and didn't plateau as early with selenomethionine than with sodium selenite. [30-32]

In a Finnish study, again selenomethionine raised blood selenium levels higher and remained in the blood longer than inorganic selenium. [33] In a later Finnish study, it was found that as much as 3,500 micrograms of inorganic selenium had to be given to raise their blood selenium levels to match that of typical Americans. The long-term safety of such a high dose of inorganic selenium is not known.

In 1984, a MIT study determined that organic forms of selenium are able to increase the body pool size about 70 percent more effectively than inorganic selenite. [34]

Inorganic selenium, at low doses, is better than no selenium at all. However, larger doses of inorganic selenium has an oxidative effect that increases undesirable lipofuscin production. [36] The selenium in inorganic selenite is in the plus four valance state which is very oxidative. The selenium of selenomethionine is in the minus two valance state. The lipofuscin accumulation in the liver can be accounted for by the fact that in order for selenium to go from the inorganic plus four valance state to the plus minus valance state, six electrons must be obtained from liver cells. The safety of inorganic selenium is about one-third that of selenomethionine. [37]

Inorganic sources of selenium do not find their way to muscle protein to an appreciable extent. If laboratory animals are fed selenomethionine, selenium soon increases in all organs, muscles, GPX and hemoglobin. When inorganic selenium is fed to animals, it accumulates in the liver, kidneys and GPX.

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.aspx?Id=577

Thank you Mellow. That certainly clarifies things for me and strengthens my resolve to avoid selenite.

Thanks Islander for clearing things up for me. Also, thanks Mellow for the info. on selenite. I think I'll stick with the selenomethionine, which I've taken for years with apparently great results. My PSA readings have ranged between 1.0 and 1.5 for the past 5 yrs. I haven't had my brain tested so I'm just going to assume that the selenomethionine is also helping my brain.

Thread Information