Thread: Top Reason For Soldier Suicides

Default Top Reason For Soldier Suicides

AmenClinics
    August 7, 2012

A few months ago the Pentagon reported an upsurge in suicides among America’s troops, averaging nearly one a day this year – the fastest pace in the nation’s decade of war. The 154 suicides for active-duty troops in the first 155 days of 2012 far outdistance the U.S. forces killed in action in Afghanistan – about 50 percent more – according to the Pentagon statistics. This recent surge in suicides raised an important question that needed to be answered, “why are these brave men and women choosing to take their own life?

A recent study asked 72 soldiers at Fort Carson, Colo., why they tried to kill themselves. Out of the 33 reasons they had to choose from, all of the soldiers included one in particular — a desire to end intense emotional distress.

“This really is the first study that provides scientific data saying that the top reason … these guys are trying to kill themselves is because they have this intense psychological suffering and pain,” said Craig Bryan, co-author of the study by the National Center for Veterans Studies at the University of Utah that will be published in the coming months.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.amenclinics.com/?p=5973&o...ess&Itemid=204

Default Re: Top Reason For Soldier Suicides

The article went on to say:

"The Marines in particular established a counseling service dubbed “DStress line,” a toll-free number that troubled Marines can call anonymously. They also can use a Marine website to chat online anonymously with a counselor.
    The Marines arguably have had the most success recently in lowering their suicide numbers, which are up slightly this year but are roughly in line with levels of the past four years."

The Marine DSTRESSSLINE:
    http://www.dstressline.com/
    1-877-476-7734

EFT BATTLE TAP:
    https://battletap.org/Home.aspx

Thank you for posting these valuable resources, Reesacat.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

War is hell.

My mom said that my grandpa who was in WWII, and The Korean Conflict became an alcoholic after having served his time in war. He worked as a pharmacist in the MASH units, and would sometimes "help out" with grotesque tasks. He would tell stories of American soldiers who would go crazy, and rape/ sodomize children.
    He would often sew these children up. I too, would become an alcoholic.

My dad became an alcoholic and was pretty violent, especially to one of my brothers. He had extreme fascination with any books/ TV programs having to do with World War 2 but he never ever would discuss his experiences during the war. These are great resources and I know the VA is doing intense research into PTSD including EFT and other therapies. At least it is recognized now and talked about.

Many of my relatives have spent time in various branches of the military. Pretty much the same story. Perhaps craziness does not "run in the family", but rather might be a consequence of the military experience. It's worth thinking about, anyway.

Agree. My father served in WW 2, my brother in 'Nam, and my fiancé was an ABC bureau chief in Saigon. One uncle was in the invasion of Normandy; I knew about it only because his name appeared in a Time magazine story. None would talk about it, ever.

I submit that not all of these suicides are "war related." The study was very careful not to specifically state this. The desire to end "intense emotional distress" relates to, not only the stress of war, but other stresses military members endure on a daily basis. Here are few facts that adds to the stress of military members today. 1. Most are now married, with dependents. Prior to the advent of the "All Volunteer Force," in the mid-1970s, this was not the case. 2. About 20 percent of married military members with dependents recieved "food stamps" until the military increased subsistence allowances for these families several years ago. 3. The number of "single parents" is on the increase, and in 2006, there were about 85,000 single "Fathers" in the military. My point is the U.S. military today consists of an ever increasing number of people who not only have to deal with the stress of more frequent and longer deployments, but people who have to deal with stress of divorce, cheating spouses, single parenting, etc. Our all volunteer force is no longer made up of young kids coming out of high school looking to serve their country until they can figure out what to do with the rest of their lives. Our force is older, more married with families, and who must deal with all the same problems (mortgages underwater, bankruptcy, etc.) we civilians deal with. Not at all surprising that some find it all too much to handle.

Those are excellent points, Mr. Wizard. Thank you for the thoughtful analysis.
    I think all of us know someone in active duty service or who has come home recently from active duty and I wanted to get this information out so we can help those who served.

Reesacat: Thanks for posting this very thought-provoking study. I've done extensive research on military personnel issues and came away with a new-found respect for what military members deal with daily. Few Americans realize just how much the profile of the military has changed since the advent of the "All Volunteer Force." As I mentioned earlier, they tend to be generally older, better educated, more married and with more dependents than their predecessors a few decades ago. Another little known fact that creates stress for military members are "financial issues." They are more subject to being duped by "predatory lenders" and thousands of members have filed for bankruptcy and experienced foreclosure on their homes.

Argh...trying to remember book I read and subsequent film made from the book about service in Afghanistan. Began with an "A," or maybe an "R," I think, named after their CO who was KIA. Anyone?

Don't know the book Islander, but I can recommend Billy Lynn's Long Half-Time Walk by Ben Fountain. Savage satire of the war and Americans support for it. Black humour - someone compared it to Catch 22 .
    Last edited by Islander; 08-09-12 at 08:03 AM.

God bless Google. Restrepo. I'd recommend the book over the film.

Thread Information