Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helpful addition to foot soak?

Veteran Member

Default Helpful addition to foot soak?

Since I usually soak my feet in hot water before putting my bunion splint on, I thought there might be some natural thing I could add to the water that might be helpful, whether for a gentle detox action, or against what seems like an athlete's foot-type fungus affecting 2 of my toes, or even to help further limber up the bones to enhance the bunion splint's effect (which is the purpose of the hot water soak.) Or maybe even for something else, who knows? I've read that our feet can be pretty good absorbers.

Do any of you have any ideas of an innocuous but helpful addition to my foot soaking water?

Default Re: Helpful addition to foot soak?

Epsom salts. Good way to get magnesium into foot muscles to relax them

Also essential oils — lavender and peppermint are fun. Peppermint might be a bit stimulating right before bed.

Veteran Member

Thank you, Reesacat. Now I just have to find out where to find epsom salt here. I know you can get a prescription from a natural practioner for capsules, but it's unnecessarily expensive in capsule form. I'm going to try to find it though; it sounds like a great idea and confirms what I'd thought even though I didn't realize it would relax the muscles. That's perfect! An my body will absorb magnesium from the soak, too, won't it?

Epsom salts are great Pattypans and as you mentioned a good way to get some magnesium but just be aware that they are magnesium sulphate therefore are contraindicated if you are sensitive to sulphates. Use small amounts and soak only for a short time at first if you are not sure and build up slowly. I tried an epsom salts foot bath to try and build up my magnesium levels before I found a supplement I could tolerate and ended up with a nasty reaction to the sulphate component. Sensitivities and allergies to sulphates are relatively common.
    If you know you are OK with sulphates then go for it but otherwise take it easy at first and stay aware of this possibility as the exposure could cause you to develop an allergy or sensitivity

How about baking soda?

Baking soda is a good idea, Highlander.
    Baking soda is good for fungus; also tea tree oil.
    You can add salt also for infections.

Veteran Member

I apply tea tree oil sometimes. Thanks for that caution about epsom salts, Aaltrude. I never would have made the connection between sulphates and epsom salts.

I like the baking soda idea, too, and I know where to get it--almost just around the corner. I always have some on hand. But what I get there may or may not have aluminum; it's impossible to know. We get the Bob's Red Mill (aluminum-free) for tooth brushing and deodorant use, but since we have to rely on friends who visit the US to bring it back for us, I don't think we could spare it for regular foot-soaking too. Would you suggest using it even if it's possible it contains aluminum?

Generally baking powder can contain aluminum, rather than baking soda. Does that help?

Veteran Member

Maurya, that's what I always thought until a year or so ago, when I checked it out and found that a lot of baking soda also contains aluminum. I was surprised.

I would go along with baking soda containing aluminium. The bags we buy from the supermarket are free flowing yet a large 12kg bag of commercial baking soda we bought a while back is very clumped.

Veteran Member

Oh, maybe that's a way to perhaps tell whether or not it has aluminum--if it clumps, maybe it's a good bet that it doesn't! Thanks!

So: life is complicated, but not that complicated!

Ok, I don't have the sites or the letter from the Arm and Hammer company, but a few years ago, I embarked on a research project regarding aluminum in baking soda. To make a long story short, baking soda derived from Trona ore does NOT contain aluminum. Arm and Hammer is made from this ore and is aluminum free. However, most of the generics and cheaper stuff you buy in the grocery store, dollar stores etc are chemically derived using the Solvay process. This process does impart small amounts of aluminum into the baking soda. So, you can spend big bucks to buy "aluminum free" baking soda, or you can buy Arm and Hammer.

Mellowsong, you are a genius researcher! Thanks!

Good FYI mellow.
    My hub-type buys epsom salts at the drug store. They come in a container that looks like a gallon milk carton. I may have to give them I try. I had no idea about he mag factor. Could be really helpful after a work shift.
    What about a touch of apple cider vinegar for fungus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information