Thread: Baked Eggs — How To Bake Eggs In The Oven Instead Of Hard-Boiling Them

Default Baked Eggs — How To Bake Eggs In The Oven Instead Of Hard-Boiling Them

Thank you Kathleen for this great tip!

Easy to peel eggs — baked instead of hardboiled.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Place eggs in muffin tin (1 egg per muffin cup) and place in pre-heated 325 F oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool and enjoy!

I tried this and used a mini-muffin tin I had and it worked just fine. They are so easy to peel! I keep hard-boiled (now baked) eggs on hand for quick protein snack when my blood sugar gets a tad cranky.

Default Re: Baked Eggs — How To Bake Eggs In The Oven Instead Of Hard-Boiling Them

Great idea, but I am wondering if it would end up being a more expensive way to cook eggs: greater fuel cost for 25-30 minutes in the oven vs 10 minutes on top of the stove. Just wondering.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Re: Baked Eggs — How To Bake Eggs In The Oven Instead Of Hard-Boiling Them

I try to bake multiple things together: Meatloaf for Duane, sweet potatoes for me. If i'm really planning ahead i do several other things as well. Add in the eggs when everything else is baking. If the oven is already going, why not pop in the eggs? Then there is no additional cost of heating the stove.

This doesn't work quite as well for baked goods that need to rise, because they need the airflow, or something.

I had the same thought. I give eggs a mere 5 minutes of actual boil, then turn off the heat and let them cool at their own speed. But then, I'm infamous as Queen of Frugal!
    A little-known fact: freshest eggs are hardest to peel. I think it has little to do with cooking method. Eggs a couple of weeks old (e.g. supermarket) peel pretty easily. That's what I buy for my parrots.

And like Katee, The Queen of Frugal tries to plan in advance (not always very good at this but I try) and if I must turn on the oven, I plan to assemble several things that will thrive at that temp, regardless of time required. Sadly, a sweet potato awaiting the opportunity is now sprouting in the vegetable bin....

ops:
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

There is more to this than cost of energy for oven. If you have damage to neck/arm/hand lifting a big pot, carrying water to fill it to boil eggs, etc. hurts.
    I can't take pain medicine. Popping a mini-muffin tin with a dozen eggs in it didn't hurt. The eggs were from Farmer's Market and very fresh and when baked, peeled easy.

I have to agree with Reesacat that it is safer for some of us to do it this way. I get my eggs fresh from the Farmer's Market. Maybe using the oven wastes a bit of power, OTOH, you lose about 1/2 the egg trying to peel it. Yes, if I can, I will do it while baking something else. I also plan to try this in the NuWave oven. @Islander. I've been buying fresh picked sweet potatoes at the Farmer's Market. After they cured, I baked all of them, let them cool, then froze. Defrost one and heat up in a skillet or something and it tastes fresh...at least to me. I've got another batch curing and I'm either going to do baked chips or sweet potato leather with them.

Peeling eggs can be a pain. Try this: crack the egg, then slip a teaspoon or dessert spoon under the shell. Slide the spoon around (hard to describe) gradually removing the shell. I find eggs shell easier when they are still hot. Cover with water and refrigerate till needed.

A trick I was taught for peeling eggs that always works well for me is to roll the boiled egg on a hard surface to crunch up the entire shell while it is still on the egg. Once it is well broken up on the egg, it comes off easily. I always dunk the egg in cold water as soon as it has been boiled and wait until they are at room temperature before peeling. This may also be a factor in making them easy to peel.

I can guarantee...at least for me...that there isn't a trick out there I haven't tried to nicely peel boiled eggs, lol. When they are fairly fresh from the farm (and even 3 weeks seems too fresh) they aren't going to cooperate. I tried the oven trick today. The eggs were about a week and 1/2 old yet peeled beautifully.

I am egg-peeling impaired. I cannot peel the flipping things well no matter what I did — shock in ice water, add salt to boiling water, etc. etc. etc. Aaltrude's trick of rolling and crushing the shell helped the most, but I still made a mess and lost a lot of egg.

The baked eggs are the first ones I can peel and just the peel comes off and I am not wasting 1/2 egg.

Gee Mellow, egg-peeling impaired abilities must be sign of genius......;-)..........

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Gee Mellow, egg-peeling impaired abilities must be sign of genius......;-)..........
    Definitely!!! Cyber twins!

Same here, have tried every trick mentioned for boiled eggs, also tried adding vinegar to the water and nothing worked. Some eggs peel ok and some don't. My DH is much better at peeling eggs than I am, he has a lot more patience, but I hear him complaining about them all the time. I'm going to pass the baked eggs idea on to him. Maybe I can put some muffins or something in with them to help with wasting energy on just eggs.

Wonder if altitude makes a difference when boiling eggs? We are at 6200 ft. Water boils at about 198 degrees if my memory of the temp test I did is accurate. So maybe it is the temp difference?

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    Wonder if altitude makes a difference when boiling eggs? We are at 6200 ft. Water boils at about 198 degrees if my memory of the temp test I did is accurate. So maybe it is the temp difference?
    You may be on to something there sollyb. 6200 ft is 1890 m above sea level. We are 285 m above sea level. Water here still boils at or very close to 100 degrees C. 198 F is 92 C.

Thread Information