Thread: Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at All Costs

Default Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at All Costs

Mark Hyman, MD
    August 23, 2012

Based on the research and my experience practicing medicine, I typically advise most of my patients to avoid dairy products completely. I like ice cream just as much as the next person, but as a scientist I have to look honestly at what we know. In today's blog I will explore many of the documented ill-effects of dairy, and give you six reasons you should avoid dairy at all costs.

The Reason I Have Problems with the USDA Food Pyramid

I'm aware that my advice to avoid dairy flies in the face of the new, "up-to-date" food pyramid from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA's pyramid recommends drinking 3 glasses of milk a day. What's wrong with that? Well, for one thing, it's not a recommendation that's based on strict science.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_558876.html

Default Re: Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at All Costs

I agree with you, my friend.

I like a little organic yogurt now and then. For the most part I shun milk. Milk is for baby cows, not humans. The protein in cows' milk is mostly casein (80%); as compared to 20 to 45 % in human milk. Casein makes great glue and a base for paint; but it is difficult, if not impossible, for many people to digest. Cows' milk also has a poor Ca/Mg ratio. Soy milk is no better. I prefer hemp "milk" for my baking and cooking needs. Akita mani yo!

From 2010? That "pyramid" is now a plate, and it hasn't improved in terms of healthful food recommendations. And his advice to take 2000 IU of vitamin D daily has since been raised to 8000. Other than that, good case.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I was a little confused by the his referral to the hopeful changes of the 2010 guidelines. I had to scroll up to check the date of the HuffPost article and it was current. I was also perplexed that he didn't mention casein which is supposedly more problematic than lactose is. That aside I was amazed the HuffPost allowed the mention and recommendation of raw milk.
    I will try to go dairy free soon. Funny this article showed up today.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I guess i will never understand why meat is considered a natural, healthy animal product, but that milk is not. By that reasoning, eggs would be unhealthy, too.

As i posted elsewhere, the raw milk diet helped me quite a bit. I also had the chiro i work with do muscle testing on the raw milk i was drinking, and he said my body was fine with it.

We are all very different depending on ancestry and what the peoples ate depending on the regions of ancestry. People from northern Europe seemed to depend on milk products much more than those from the tropics. Some people seem to handle dairy well and even thrive on it, others do not. The same could be said of various different components of diet.

We also develop differently as we age. I used to be able to tolerate raw apples very well. My body does not like them at all now.

I know Hyman means well, and i have his book, but his pronouncements irritate me considerably.

While i agree that pasteurized (especially non-organic) milk should be avoided at all costs, i don't agree with him that raw milk is just as bad. It is bad for some, maybe even a majority of, people, not everyone.

My guess is that Dr. Hyman is writing for the general population who uses conventional milk/milk products and maybe also is avoiding discussion of raw milk so the FDA doesn't shut him down.

Katee I have to agree with you on what you've said. Many many people can tolerate raw milk just fine and do very well on it. @Reesacat: He specifically mentions raw milk as bad. He cites that most humans don't make lactase after age 2 to 5 but seems to forget that raw milk just happens to contain lactase! So, he's not avoiding a discussion, he's dissing it.

But at the end of the article he recommends if you can tolerate dairy use raw mlk organic products occasionally focusing on kefir and yogurt......

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I guess i stopped reading at this: Due to these concerns, many have begun to consider raw milk an alternative. But that isn't really a healthy form of dairy either ...

Yes, raw, whole, organic milk eliminates concerns like pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and the effects of homogenization and pasteurization -- but to me, these benefits don't outweigh dairy's potential risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    I guess i will never understand why meat is considered a natural, healthy animal product, but that milk is not. By that reasoning, eggs would be unhealthy, too.

By what reasoning? You don't specify. We humans evolved on organ meat, muscle meat and animal fat...mammal, bird and fish. Throughout our history we consumed eggs as well. Milk was never part of our ancestral diet. By that line of reasoning, it's not surprising that many people are not well adapted to it. But as you point out, some cultures are exceptions. The Masai, for example, thrived on a diet consisting in large part of blood and milk.

We are all very different depending on ancestry and what the peoples ate depending on the regions of ancestry. People from northern Europe seemed to depend on milk products much more than those from the tropics. Some people seem to handle dairy well and even thrive on it, others do not.
    I'm one whose tolerance seems to have changed with age. I never drank fluid milk, and only rarely used it in chowders...despite have owned dairy cows for years. I did enjoy cottage cheese and yogurt. Recently I went on a kind of cottage cheese binge, buying gallons of raw organic milk...making my own cottage cheese and sour cream...and using the whey in smoothies. The result: inflammation in the joints of my hands so severe that the pain kept me awake nights. I have to admit, Reesacat warned me that the guten-intolerant often react to the casein in milk. So mote it be. Except for butter, I removed all dairy from my life, and the pain and inflammation are nearly gone. In fact, what's left is merely what always comes from pulling weeds etc. in summer. So as you say...our bodies can change.

(I'm really mad at my body on this one, because I adore homade cottage cheese!)
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I had to go back and re-read the article Katee as I didn't remember the last bit where he says to use raw organic if you do tolerate dairy but only sparingly. My take-away from the first time I read it was dairy is bad, even raw.

Mellow and I often say giving up grains was easy — giving up cheese was Hell.

Thread Information