Thread: Food Saver Vacuum System

Default Food Saver Vacuum System

This isn't a book but it's a new toy I've been playing with a few weeks and I think it's great.
    I hate to waste food but some things just don't freeze well like lettuce and cucumbers. Another problem is no matter what, things I've dehydrated get soft (except tomatoes for some reason). So, I decided to try this and love it. I paid 20 bux for the handheld and bought some bags...probably an initial 40 dollar purchase. However the bags are reusable. I rinse them with soapy water, then spray with colloidal silver, then let them air dry.

You know those Spring and herb mix lettuce packages? That's the only organic lettuce I can get. With this, I've kept the lettuce fresh as the day I bought it for a week. Usually it is slimy within 3 or 4 days of opening regardless of expiration date. Cucumbers were going bad on me so I put the whole cukes in a bag and they are staying crisp. Chopped up 2 heads of cabbage etc. It really works, takes up little space and is easy to use. I don't have the room for a heat sealer nor the energy to deal with one.

I've seen them at Target and WalMart and of course online:
    This is what I got. They have fancier ones but this works just fine. http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FSFR...saver+handheld

Default Re: Food Saver Vacuum System

Both my local market & WalMart carry organic romaine. Three heads to the package, and even just me, I can finish them before they spoil...just leaving them in the plastic bag they come in.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

We have a similar unit but the vacuum pump is manually operated. It is part of our preparedness plan. The brand we have is ZipVac. Their NZ site lists quite a few uses. One more that I can add is to evacuate the air from sealed coffee packs that have an evacuation port.
    http://www.zipvac.co.nz/
    Last edited by Aaltrude; 08-27-12 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Both my local market & WalMart carry organic romaine. Three heads to the package, and even just me, I can finish them before they spoil...just leaving them in the plastic bag they come in.
    For some reason, they carry organic baby romaine in those plastic boxes but not the romaine hearts...not in organic :( I really would LOVE those. WalMart only carries the plastic box organic lettuce mixes too. WalMart here and in SC has almost no organic anything.

Thread Information