Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Achieving Simple Weight Loss with Oregano Oil

Default Achieving Simple Weight Loss with Oregano Oil

Elizabeth Renter
    3 Sept 2012

Looking to lose weight? New research shows that oregano oil could be a promising solution to help reduce the chances of obesity and weight gain. According to Wellness Resources, the study involved feeding mice a high fat diet to induce obesity. But, the mice who were also given oregano oil saw a smaller weight gain than those who weren’t.

The active component of oregano oil, carvacrol, was given to half of the mice. They were fed 0.1 percent carvacrol as part of their diet while the other mice received none. The mice not receiving the carvacrol saw significantly more weight gain. In addition, those who did receive the carvacrol had lower levels of blood lips, including cholesterol and triglycerides.
    Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/achieving-...s-oregano-oil/

Default Re: Achieving Simple Weight Loss with Oregano Oil

I was curious about what kind of fat the rats were fed. The "normal diet" rats were given a standard rodent formula but the study doesn't specify the ingredients. The rats fed a high fat diet received an extra 170g of lard and 30g of corn oil and the rats receiving carvacrol also got the high fat diet. Of course, these were rats but the results were interesting. The scientists concluded: "Carvacrol prevents diet-induced obesity by modulating gene expressions involved in adipogenesis and inflammation in mice fed with high-fat diet"

The entire study, in a very lengthy PDF, can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/cy7fhfm

I wonder whether eating fresh oregano would have the same effect.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I wonder whether eating fresh oregano would have the same effect.
    Yes, if you could eat enough oregano/day to get the quantities suggested (3 to 4 caps/day) One site said to cram a saucepan full of oregano, cover with water, boil etc etc and you will end up with 1 tsp of oil (and that isn't pure). To get pure OOO you would need distilling equipment.

I've also read that it is much better to take wild oregano oil because it is higher in carvacrol. However, I don't know if that is true or marketing hype. The other difference is standardized vs non-standardized. If you standardize carvachol then the natural balance of the 4 active compounds is theoretically thrown off by the addition of added carvacrol and overall action might actually be less. Again, I have no idea of how accurate these statements are. Sorry, got carried away answering a simple question

Well I have perfectly good oregano, and perfectly good oregano oil, and no need to lose weight, so I guess I'll just continue adding fresh oregano to stuff I cook, and save the oil for emergencies. Thanks for looking into it!

Banned

There are many products available in the market which works as very effective naturally and there are many best green coffee beans available of some famous brands which works really good for becoming slim.

yelejao, your post links to a site that offers pricing on a weight loss product. This is very close to spam. I will delete it after you reply that you have read this comment.
    Linking to a product for sale is spamming and will result in your immediately being banned from this site forever. New members please take note. I advise you to read the introduction to the site at the top of the homepage for details.

That said, welcome to Hawkes' Health!

I'm using oregano on some of the foods I cook, would that count?

Havana, this question has been answered above - read Mellowsong's comprehensive post. I'm not personally needing to lose weight, but I do keep wild oregano oil on hand should I get sick.

On the topic of oregano oil, it is anti-viral. So, it's a smart addition to the diet during these times of influenza and coronavirus.

Is it wise to take it every day? I guess I regard it like an antibiotic - only used when strictly necessary. Your thoughts please, as I'm not too clear on this.

Julieanne, you raise an excellent question. Based on my research and my own use, it is not wise to take oregano oil every day. Oil of oregano, oregano essential oils, wild mountain oregano oil, and oregano oil extracts are all anti-pathogens, killing bacteria, viruses, and other microbes. And, that's a good thing, especially when sick. However, oregano oil also kills "friendly," beneficial bacteria and viruses that the body needs to keep us healthy. So, unless someone is sick, it is generally recommended that any type of oregano oil not be used every day, and no more than 10 days in a row, if sick. With the advent of the coronavirus, I've been taking wild mountain oregano oil every 3 days or so, just as an immune booster. It's actually one of several ingredients in a supplement I take that combines organic ginger, garlic, onion, horseradish, oregano oil, habanero peppers, and liquid zinc. To be clear, fresh or dried oregano as a spice used in cooking can be used daily. And, it contains carvacrol & thymol like the oils, but at much less concentrations. Oregano, as a spice, is very beneficial to the gut microbiome.

I hope that mixture is in a capsule Mr Wiz - it sounds extremely hot!

Lol. It's actually a liquid, with apple cider vinegar as a base. Has more of a vinegary taste, with a "kick" for sure but not really hot. I ordered a lot of it in early February, anticipating it would sell out as more people became concerned about COVID-19. Shared a bottle with every member of my immediate family. A few days ago, I checked the website, and NOT to my surprise it was all sold out indefinitely.

Sounds very like a recipe I had (now lost) for 'Kickagerm' juice. I guess it's possible to mix all the ingredients at home? Or attempt something near to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information