Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forget Minty Toothpaste - Coconut Oil Fights Tooth Decay

Default Forget Minty Toothpaste - Coconut Oil Fights Tooth Decay

Coconut oil fights tooth decay and could find its way into toothpaste and mouthwash, research suggests.

No author
    3 Sep 2012

Scientists found that when the oil was treated with digestive enzymes it became a powerful killer of mouth bugs.

The bacteria it attacked included Streptococcus mutans, an acid-producing microbe that is a major cause of tooth decay.

Researchers were following up earlier work which showed that partially digested milk made S. mutans less likely to stick to tooth enamel.

Further studies will look at how coconut oil interacts with the bacteria at the molecular level, and what other microbe strains and yeasts it may combat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...oth-decay.html

Default Re: Forget Minty Toothpaste - Coconut Oil Fights Tooth Decay

I wonder if one could make their own toothpaste by pouring a capsul of enzymes into coconut oil.

mellow has posted a recipe for making your own toothpaste using coconut oil.
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ght=Toothpaste

Saliva has digestive enzymes such as amylase in it. Oil pulling with coconut oil for 15 minutes would mix the coconut oil with the salivary digestive enzymes and might account for the reports of improved dental health from daily practice.

Thanks Reesacat. I thought about amylase, but since the article mentioned adding digestive enzymes to the coconut oil, I figured amylase alone wouldn't be sufficient. That would be great if it is.

Reesacat, you have just explained to me why oil pulling might work. I always thought it was rather a weird practice. But what do I know?

Having obtained a large jar of coconut oil recently, I just may have to give this oil pulling a try. As has been said, without any reasonable description as to how and why it might be effective, I have been reluctant just to jump right in with this practice.

Veteran Member

I'm probably going to get chided for not going back to the dentist, but here goes. I had some tooth pain in a molar, with a cavity diagnosed and a root canal suggested (if I'm remembering correctly; for some reason my 'dental memory' is atrocious.) Didn't want a root canal and still can't afford the necessary overall treatment of a biological dentist who truly knows the score, so I decided to start oil pulling with coconut oil, which my husband had been doing for a while. In a short time, the pain was gone. I assume the best, that the problem is at least under control. I confess I still don't eat on that side because I'm worried about the pain returning.

P.S. Unless I'm negligent for a very long time (which I sometimes am) with the oil pulling, I am pain-free. Then I oil pull a few times and it goes away again. Of course, I should do it every day, but I am woefully inconsistent with it.

I've seen research showing that toxins are removed with oil pulling, though I believe it used sesame oil.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 09-13-12 at 06:53 AM.

Sesame oil seems to work just as well - I use it because my husband had accumulated several bottles and I did not want to waste my delicious coconut oil. Remember, Pattypans, that if you have a definite dental problem, you should oil pull 3 times a day until it is resolved. I posted my article on this subject on HH before but here is a reminder if needed. http://www.amoils.com/health-blog/oi...e-your-health/

I'm going to do my best to start oil pulling at least once a day. I found out that what I was told 2 years ago was a tooth abscess, was in reality, a gum abscess. Started having problems recently and to make a long story short, they felt that bacteria under an ancient filling was keeping the gum inflamed and infected. I opted to get the filling replaced and everything cleaned but want to try oil pulling. Other than the gum around that one tooth though, the periodontist was marveling at the condition of my gums/mouth. in 2004, I had huge, deep pockets and had lost several molars due to bone loss and gum disease. The bone has actually regenerated and absolutely no gum disease. This is with no dental care except one cleaning in last 7 years. So...all this through diet and supplements I've tried oil pulling a few times and just can't do it for more than a few minutes. I did make and use one batch of the coconut oil toothpaste (minus glycerine) but, it plugged up my sink. Took several days of hot water and baking soda and vinegar to get it running again. Not sure what to do about that except maybe brush over a trash can, lol.

Maybe spit into some kitchen paper? I mean, how much oil is there? Thanks for the warning - my bathroom sink is not draining quickly, so this would probably completely stuff it up! Need a plumber, but I know it would cost heaps, so I'm putting it off.

Try pouring down bicarb (baking soda) and boiling water to see if it clears it or use a plunger, Julieanne, for your bathroom basin.

Not sure how they plumb drains in OZ, but if the drain contains a P-trap or and S-trap, the piece that looks like a U at the bottom of the drain piping usually can be removed and can be cleaned out. After shutting off the water supply to the sink (just as a precaution), and placing a bucket under the drain piping to catch the drips, look for a union at each end of the U that can be unscrewed with a wrench (gently). When this U shaped piece comes off, and the excess water has been dumped into the strategically placed bucket, take the U shaped piece outdoors and squirt some water from a garden hose through the U shaped piece, until it looks clean and clear. Then replace the U shaped piece, preferably using pipe dope or Teflon tape wrapped around the male end of the threads. Tighten both joints (gently) with the wrench, turn on the supply piping valves, and run some water to test your work. If no leaks appear, remove the bucket, dump the waste water outdoors, and move on smartly, living happily ever after.

We could all do with a Maurya as a neighbour - better than a handyman!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Chitty View Post
    Try pouring down bicarb (baking soda) and boiling water to see if it clears it or use a plunger, Julieanne, for your bathroom basin.
    Did that Jane - used bicarb and vinegar, usually very effective. I suspect the blockage is caused by roots from the ivy growing on the wall. (There is gurgling from the kitchen sink too). If so, it will be a very expensive job, which is why I'm putting it off. Thanks for the tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information