Thread: Fish Oil Heilped Save Our Son's Life

Default Fish Oil Heilped Save Our Son's Life

Stephanie Smith
    19 Oct 2012

(CNN) -- Time seemed to slow as Marjan Ghassemi saw her 17-year-old son, Bobby, lying in a hospital bed after a car crash. He had a thick band of gauze wrapped around his head and a tangle of tubes protruding from his body. A hole was cut into his windpipe, and the hollow-sounding hiss of machines helping him breathe filled the room.

At that point, there was no telling whether he would live or die, but Marjan was determined not to cry. "From day one, when we got there, I didn't want him to know we were crying, that we were upset," she said. "I wanted all positive energy in the room.
    Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/19/health...ies/index.html

Default Re: Fish Oil Heilped Save Our Son's Life

I am glad the father was able to get the docs to let his son have fish oil. What did they have to lose at that point?
    The medical community didn't have any other options....

The omega-3 fish oil made the difference in the brain's ability to recover from trauma. This is great news...at least until Big Pharma decides to market an omega-3 pill and charge us an arm and a leg for something already available from mother nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    The omega-3 fish oil made the difference in the brain's ability to recover from trauma. This is great news...at least until Big Pharma decides to market an omega-3 pill and charge us an arm and a leg for something already available from mother nature.
    It's already here and has been for quite a while: It is called Lovaza (Omacor in Europe) and is super expensive. Lovaza provides 840 mg of EPA and DHA in about one gram of fish oil per capsule, of which approximately 465 mg is EPA and 375 mg is DHA. Although I can't find specific information on how it is made, I found this description: purified, chemically altered, concentrated. That should give you pause for thought. One of the main marketing ploys is that there is no risk of contamination from mercury, dioxin etc. I explained molecular distillation and the importance of where the fish is from to a doctor and he was stunned. He was certain I had to have high mercury because I'd taken so much fish oil for so long but the blood test (which I realize is NOT accurate) was zero. I love to educate docs, lol.

A new prescription fish oil was recently approved but not sure it's actually on the market. It is called Vascepa and it's supposed advantage is that it doesn't raise LDL-c which Lovaza does. Both (and plain ol' fish oil) significantly reduce triglycerides.
    Last edited by mellowsong; 10-20-12 at 10:37 AM.

Mellow you are absolutely right!! Silly me, how could I forget about Lovaza. It's been around for several years, but it is very expensive. A family member, who thrives on prescriptions, told me her co-pay alone for this stuff is $150 for a month's supply. She takes it for her triglyceride levels. As far as mercury contamination in fish oil, I think this is way overblown by manufacturers to promote the superiority of their product over their competitors. As I understand it, most fatty fish, like salmon, contain sufficient levels of selenium, which actually counters the mercury. Still, I order my omega-3 salmon oil from VitalChoice, which certifies its fish oil as pure and safe. Thanks for reminding me about Lovaza and bringing to my attention Vascepa...never heard of this until I read your post.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 02-06-13 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information