Thread: Is Fibromyalgia Due to a Mineral Deficiency?

Default Is Fibromyalgia Due to a Mineral Deficiency?

Emily Deans, M.D.
    September 11, 2012 in Evolutionary Psychiatry

Using supplemental magnesium to treat fibromyalgia symptoms

Many thousands of people, mostly women, suffer from fibromyalgia. It’s a poorly understood disorder to some extent and can be quite debilitating. Musculoskeletal pain and fatigue (along with poor sleep) are the primary symptoms, but those afflicted are more likely to have depression and anxiety symptoms as well. There are no definitive biomarkers and no X-ray findings, and the correlation with depression and anxiety leads to some doctors and lay people thinking that fibromyalgia is “all in the head.”

I tend to wonder if conditions like fibromyalgia are related to immune dysfunction and inflammation. After all, often the first symptom when you catch a virus is a horrible aching and fatigue. The virus is not typically the agent causing the symptoms—often it is your immune response to it. I also tend to think that we modern humans, given our chronic stress and suboptimal diets, might be somewhat micronutrient deficient, particularly among the minerals.

Read more: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ral-deficiency
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Is Fibromyalgia Due to a Mineral Deficiency?

Dr. Dean has written an excellent article — magnesium malate does improve fibromyalgia symptoms in many patients. The chart in the article showing the symptoms of fibromyalgia is also very good.
    Gluten intolerance can cause the same symptoms, and with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia many patients do much better going gluten/grain and dairy free.

Very interesting article. Fibromyalgia is one of the most misunderstood human conditions. The researchers link it to "oxidative stress," and tout magnesium as a much needed mineral. If a magnesium deficiency plays a role in fibromyalgia, it is a good bet that other minerals, like manganese, zinc, etc., are also key. In addition to minerals, the fat soluble vitamins, like A, D, E, and K, also act as antioxidants, and would assist in the treatment of fibromyalgia. Better yet, add some vitamin C along with the fat soluble vitamins and they will receive an electron recharge from the vit. C. This fights the fatigue and pain associated with fibromyalgia. Also, if fibromyalgia is linked to oxidative stress, then one must get plenty of all the B vitamins, especially B6 & B12. They are needed to reduce harmful homocysteine levels that otherwise attack bloodvessels and bones, which contribute to the muscle and bone pain associated with fibromyalgia. In short, if one suffers with fibromyalgia and if it is indeed linked to oxidative stress, then one needs a lot more than just magnesium. A good overall diet, including lots of the vitamins and minerals mentioned above, and exercise--with lots of heavy oxygen intake are paramount in fighting this condition.

Mr. Wizard, you listed most of what a person fighting fibromyalgia needs!
    I am pretty sure many if not most persons with fibromyalgia have underlying gluten/grain and other food sensitivities, which set up malabsorption problems and lead to malnutrition and oxidative stress. Dr. Wahl's protocol addresses this, and helps rebuild the mitochondria and reverse oxidative stress with Paleo diet and nutritional supplements.
    For more information on Dr. Wahl's protocol, see:
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...r.+terry+wahls

Reesacat, Dr. Wahl's protocol is essential if malabsorption is the problem. Quality nutrition and supplementation is not useful if the body cannot absorb it. I am glad you mentioned the mitochondria (the cell's power plant) because Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALC) is really great for regenerating the mitochondria. Occasionally, I take about 150 mg. of ALC before working out and receive a tremendous energy boost. As fatigue and lethargy are common symptoms associated with fibromyalgia, I would recommend making ALC part of the nutritional regimen.

I started with Acetyl-L-Carnitine based on your experience and recommendations about 8 months ago. I do very well on it (I take 500 mg/day but I am severely depleted of flipping everything due to 50 plus years of undiagnosed grain/dairy/soy sensitivity) and can't thank you enough for sharing this information!

Oh, great, Reesacat. So happy to hear ALC is working for you. I wouldn't be without it.

Thanks for the ALC reminder, Mr Wizard. Perhaps I should work this one back into my supplement array.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    I started with Acetyl-L-Carnitine based on your experience and recommendations about 8 months ago. I do very well on it (I take 500 mg/day but I am severely depleted of flipping everything due to 50 plus years of undiagnosed grain/dairy/soy sensitivity) and can't thank you enough for sharing this information!
    After a discussion on ALC quite a while ago, I also added it to my regimen. After further learning when and how to take it (I believe Maurya...morning and with fish oil) I was able to successfully increase to 1000mg/day. It definitely does help with energy and alertness. So, I want to add my thanks to Mr. Wizard and Maurya!

Thread Information