Thread: After Antibiotic Use on Infants, Disease-Causing Bacteria Are The Dominant Population

Default After Antibiotic Use on Infants, Disease-Causing Bacteria Are The Dominant Population

After Antibiotic Use on Infants, Disease-Causing Bacteria Are The Dominant Population In The Gut, Even After Eight Weeks Recovery

by EDITOR
    Nov 9, 2012

Eight weeks after antibiotic treatment of infants, the diversity of gastrointestinal flora remained diminished, although the number of individual bacteria was back to normal, according to a paper in the November 2012 issue of the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Additionally, the potentially disease-causing Proteobacteria were now the dominant population in the treated infants.
    "This is the first sequencing-based study to demonstrate the negative effects of short-term antibiotic treatment on the beneficial gut bacteria populations in infants," says coauthor Catherine Stanton of the Teagasc Food Research Centre, Fermoy, Cork, Ireland. Many studies have shown that treating infants with antibiotics seems to increase their risk of developing childhood diseases like eczema and allergic asthma.

Read more: http://preventdisease.com/news/12/11...m_medium=email
    Last edited by Islander; 11-11-12 at 10:34 PM. Reason: italicize journal title

Default Re: After Antibiotic Use on Infants, Disease-Causing Bacteria Are The Dominant Popula

I would guess that that outcome is not limited to infants. My question: if one MUST take an antibiotic (and I submit there are times when it's necessary), is there any point to taking probiotics simultaneously? Or should you wait until the course of antibiotics is over?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: After Antibiotic Use on Infants, Disease-Causing Bacteria Are The Dominant Popula

Islander, it might depend on the probiotic. The very knowlegeable lady at the health store once recommended one that you could take at the same time. Other types you have to finish the antibiotic first. Even if I could remember the name it would be no help, as brands are different in Oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I would guess that that outcome is not limited to infants. My question: if one MUST take an antibiotic (and I submit there are times when it's necessary), is there any point to taking probiotics simultaneously? Or should you wait until the course of antibiotics is over?
    I believe you should take them simultaneously. The key is to take far apart from the antibiotic. For example, if you are taking one every 12 hours, take probiotics at about the 9 hour mark. The antibiotic level in the gut would be very low at this point and gives the probiotic a few hours to do its thing. Another method of helping the gut after antibiotic treatment is to use high dose for 5 to 6 days. In other words, buy a bottle of a very high quality, high colony count probiotic and take 10/per day for 5 or 6 days. I've done this a few times and it definitely helps. Be sure to continue fermented foods also. Try to time the same way you would a probiotic but the good yeasts in ferments will not be affected and may help the gut.

Thread Information