Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions regarding 89 year old Mom

Default Questions regarding 89 year old Mom

Hi all,
    I have posted about my Mom's health problems before- but these have come to a grave pass at this point. She had a series of falls in December and early January- 5 in all- 2 of them involved bone breaks- she broke several ribs in a fall trying to get off a moving walk at Menards in December and she broke (cracked) her sacrum and pelvis in a fall earlier this month. Most of these falls (except the one at Menards) involved her getting up quickly from bed to go to the bathroom about 8 ft away. She got dizzy either in the hall or the bathroom and fell.

At the time the only drug she was on was Lisinopril 5mg. Now she is on a vast number of drugs. These include 10 mg Lisinopril, 20 mg timed release dose of oxycontin, percocet (oxycodone/acetominophen 7.5/325 mg)and 25 mg metoprolol (another beta blocker for high blood pressure- which has been elevated since her week in the hospital.) She is now in a subacute rehab facility (nursing home). I have stopped in nearly every day here and the first day she was wearing someone else's clothes (a short sleeved shirt in the middle of a very cold spell of January in WI) Every day I go in she tells me she is freezing. She needs help getting to the restroom since she is a fall risk and I don't think they are giving her very much water either. She stays in a wheelchair in the dining room so they can keep an eye on her all the time as she tries constantly to get out of the wheelchair and walk around. I tried having her at home for a while (really about 20 minutes) and maybe because of all the high powered pain medication, she was constantly trying to walk around here- no matter how many times I told her not to do this without me present. She fell again and I took her to the rehab center. During her hospital stay, I got a call from the hospitalist (not her regular doctor) telling me that an abdominal aortic aneurysm that they knew about from 2010 but never mentioned to us before- had increased in size from 4 cm to 6.5 cm.)

I stopped in at the rehab facility today and she has a cold which immediately went to her lungs- she has had pneumonia 3 times in her life- I had to call the nurse's attention to this and questioned whether they were getting her up and moving at all other than her scheduled physical therapy sessions- I got stonewalled on this. I went in tonight intending to pull her out of this hellhole and found she doesn't really want to leave. So I left her there. I have VERY bad feelings about what has happened here- maybe the medical folks care even less about the elderly than they do about the rest of us - life being a terminal illness and all. Sorry if this seems a bit discombobulated- probably more of a vent than a question. But I really could use any input you guys can give me.... I really would like to have her back home again soon.

Thanks
    Laura

Default Re: Questions regarding 89 year old Mom

Do you have a social worker that you worked with in placing her in the rehab facility? Is there a nursing supervisor you can address your concerns to? Has the restlessness started since she is on the pain medication?

No Social workers on the weekend. I spoke to the Nurse manager and got blown off- I left VM with the Nursing Director, but she is not there today either. Yes, the "sundowning" as they refer to it, has started since she has been in the hospital and on the pain medication- whether this is the fact that she is away from home or on pain meds I don't know.

The Nursing Director is probably the next step.

Side Effects oxycontin which include confusion, dizziness:
    http://www.rxlist.com/oxycontin-drug...de-effects.htm

Side effects percocet which include confusion, dizziness:
    http://www.drugs.com/percocet.html

Side effects metoprolol which include confusion, dizziness:
    http://www.rxlist.com/lopressor-drug...de-effects.htm

I probably would talk with the Nursing Director about her being cold, dressed in wrong clothes, not getting to the bathroom, and side effects of the medications perhaps contributing to restlessness, dizziness, weakness.

I would also see if I could talk with the social worker. Sometimes they know who you need to talk to within a facility.

My heart breaks for you — you and your Mother are in my prayers.

Reesacat put it all in a nutshell for you in the links she provided. Oxycontin is highly addictive and may be the reason your mom doesn't want to leave. I think it is a very dangerous drug. You're in my prayers bormal.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Bormal,
    Is she in a nursing home, a SNF, or a Rehab? Rehabs have a limited time frame.
    In any case, I think you need #1 interview another facility #2 move her and then once you have moved her, call the Joint Commission.
    There is NO excuse for that treatment. And BTW, something seems off with the oxycontin, and percocet- that seems a bit over kill. Although I have never broken a bone, I have had major surgery a couple of times, and I have never had oxycontin in my life.

I got a call back from the Nursing Director this morning (having left a message on VM for her yesterday afternoon) She was a good person to talk to- better than the doctor (who I didn't like at all) She seemed more open to the idea of changing the medication- a friend of ours suggested Tramadol (Ultram) as an option here for pain relief and I passed that info on.

Sam, this is a sub-acute rehab facility with a nursing home on the upper floors. She seems to be one of the oldest patients they have on the rehab floor. Now we will see whether they act on the promises the nursing director made. I will be watching closely and will pull Mom out at a hint of these changes not being made.

Thanks all for the well wishes and the information- we really need all the help we can get.

On a lighter note- I have taken the collies to this rehab facility-and they are of great comfort to most of the residents. The Social worker told me after Mom comes home I should bring them to see the other patients. We may do that, if I can spare the time.

Thank you for the update! Bless the girls — they are opening doors for you to help your Mother!
    Sometimes God sends us angels wrapped in fur.....;-).....

Yup- {{{{{Hugs}}}} Reesacat!

Bormal, I had nothing to suggest but I'm so glad you got some answers & are moving forward now!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Bormal, came to this late but so happy you have some promises. Keep us posted and you and your mother are in my prayers!

Veteran Member

I've come late too, but echo the promises of prayers for you and your mom. My heart goes out to you both. I've only recently begun to realize the wide range of good 'service dogs' can do in people's lives. I'm glad yours are a blessing to those in need. "Big hug" as they say here!

Bormal, so sorry to hear of your mother's poor health. She is at least lucky to have you looking out for her!

I took Tramadol once, around three years ago, when I could barely walk with painful bursitis in my hip. It took for ever to work, then I still had the effects about 14 hours later. I told the pharamacist, who checked to see if it was a long-acting/delayed reaction pill, but it wasn't. It made me feel a bit queasy and light-headed. I would never take it again.

I hope you can resolve your mother's issues with the home, and wish you the best of luck.

Hi All- I just got a call (5:42 am CST) from the nursing home and Mom passed away "peacefully" in her sleep. I wish I had never taken her there.

Thanks for all the well wishes and great suggestions. You guys are the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information