Thread: Why Is Birth Defect-Linked Vitamin A Used In Prenatals?

Default Why Is Birth Defect-Linked Vitamin A Used In Prenatals?

Sayer Ji, Founder
    January 28, 2013

Unknown to the public at large, many vitamins today are produced through total chemical synthesis – a process whereby a complex organic molecule is synthesized from simpler, petrochemical-derived precursors, usually without the aid of a biological process.

What this means is that many vitamins are essentially being produced from oil. Despite sharing certain chemical resemblances with the nutrients they were designed to be technical facsimiles of, these pseudo-vitamins are being consumed at the rate of millions of lbs annually – and often sold to the consumer as "all natural." .

One of the more disturbing permutations of oil-derived "vitamins" is retinyl palmitate (also known as vitamin A palmitate), a synthetic vitamin form of vitamin A. It has been linked to birth defects in a wide range of animal studies. Some of this research you can view first hand on GreenMedInfo.com. For additional verification the Environmental Working Groups' website Skin Deep lists a wide range of scientific references and has determined that it has a high risk for developmental and reproductive toxicity.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/why...m_medium=email

Default Re: Why Is Birth Defect-Linked Vitamin A Used In Prenatals?

So what is a good form of vitamin A in a supplement? Other than what I get in food I don't add any vitamin A.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    So what is a good form of vitamin A in a supplement? Other than what I get in food I don't add any vitamin A.
    I look for a Vitamin A that comes from fish oil as this has not been synthesized. I do take a low dose supplement because of dietary limitations.

My understanding is that the best food source for vitamin A would be cod liver oil. This is not such a rich source for vitamin D, although it can have a bit of that, but it is a rich source for A.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    My understanding is that the best food source for vitamin A would be cod liver oil. This is not such a rich source for vitamin D, although it can have a bit of that, but it is a rich source for A.
    There is a controversy about most brands of cod liver oil having too much vitamin A to vitamin D. This skewed ratio can cause vitamin A to inhibit the action of vitamin D. The best ratio of A to D is no more than 10:1 and preferably 5:1 or less. I know there are some brands of CLO meeting this but not sure which. The other problem is that many companies have now substituted the synthetic vitamin A for the natural vitamin A in CLO. You have to know what you are getting.

Thread Information