Thread: Midwives Say Birthing Centers Could Cut C-Section Rates and Save Billions

Default Midwives Say Birthing Centers Could Cut C-Section Rates and Save Billions

Bonnie Rochman
    Jan. 31, 2013

If more pregnant women delivered their babies at midwife-led birth centers, the nation’s C-section rate would go down and cost savings would go up, reversing the current twin trend of rising health care expenditures and numbers of cesarean deliveries.

That’s the conclusion reached in a study conducted by the American Association of Birth Centers and published in the Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health. Researchers tracked 15,574 births and found that birth centers saved the health-care system $30 million in facility fees alone. Women who deliver vaginally avoid the cost of surgery and the extra time in the hospital spent recovering.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2013/01/3...save-billions/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Default Re: Midwives Say Birthing Centers Could Cut C-Section Rates and Save Billions

Midwives delivered my babies. One wasn't even "certified" or whatever. I'm all for midwives.

Default Re: Midwives Say Birthing Centers Could Cut C-Section Rates and Save Billions

Yet, another "Amen!" from me.

Unfortunately this is a commonly established "slippery slope" in most major hospitals:

1) Induction for one reason or another, or no reason at all , which leads to
    2) Disproportionaly strong uterine contractions when neither Mom nor fetus are ready, which causes
    3) Fetal distress and uterine exhaustion which then leads straight into the
    4) C-section.

Followed by longer healing time for the Mother and possible compromise of the baby's health.

Not to mention - no release of Oxytocin (the "love hormone", majorly responsible for bonding) and Epidural use due to far more painful uterine contractions.

There are absolutely times when C-sections are life saving for both Mom and the baby, but majority of them are simply unnecessary.
    Last edited by ndtobe; 02-01-13 at 09:56 PM.

Not me, man! If it weren't for the talented physicians I had at the hospital, I wouldn't be here today. Oddly, Cipro was my best friend at the time.

My first was born at home. Would have preferred all of them done that way had it been possible. Hospitals and their OBs are toxic to babies!

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    My first was born at home. Would have preferred all of them done that way had it been possible. Hospitals and their OBs are toxic to babies!
    One of mine was born at home, too, the other in the midwife's tiny, but clean and well-run "clinic" which she ran for women with little money. (She was a nurse, nun, and midwife all rolled into one.)

I think this is an area that could use better balance. I'd like to see more hospitals incorporate birth centers that put midwives in the drives seat so to speak, yet have the medical staff readily available for emergency back up. To me, in the unique situation of giving birth, this would marry the best of both approaches of delivering babies. I cringe when I ask women her delivery date and she gives me her induction date instead.

Induction is a crime against nature! It totally eliminates the possibility of a woman's having a natural, pain-free birth!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Induction is a crime against nature! It totally eliminates the possibility of a woman's having a natural, pain-free birth!
    Well, one of my kids was over 2 weeks overdue, no sign of labor, then water broke, still no labor. If they had not induced at that point, things would have been even worse than they were. OK, so definitely was an incredibly painful experience as, even when I decided I wanted meds, they didn't give me any because the baby was in trouble, but sometimes, it's necessary. On the same note, same thing happened with 2nd child except she was 2 weeks early, not late, water broke, no sign of labor. I was induced again but this time, no pain and had her within about 3 contractions, lol. Of course, I'm the exception to almost any rule!

Two of my four kids were late — one 3 weeks, one a full month and no, I did NOT mix up the dates. That last kid was born covered with meconium. In both cases the docs' attitude was, the baby knows when it's ready and I concur. (Not that I was thrilled with a 10-month pregnancy!)

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    Well, one of my kids was over 2 weeks overdue, no sign of labor, then water broke, still no labor. If they had not induced at that point, things would have been even worse than they were. OK, so definitely was an incredibly painful experience as, even when I decided I wanted meds, they didn't give me any because the baby was in trouble, but sometimes, it's necessary. On the same note, same thing happened with 2nd child except she was 2 weeks early, not late, water broke, no sign of labor. I was induced again but this time, no pain and had her within about 3 contractions, lol. Of course, I'm the exception to almost any rule!
    Mellow, you illustrated exactly why I'd like to see the birthing center, with midwife in the charge housed within a hosp. It's nice to have the emergency back up. Also I think emergency induction should not be lumped with scheduled induction. Your water broke because the baby was ready, and for whatever reason your body glitched in following through with labor.

Veteran Member

My first was 17 days late and weighed almost almost 9 lbs., but everything was fine. She was the one born at the tiny clinic. One of the good things about having such a big baby: in her case, that little angel slept through the night from 2 weeks old on!

Thread Information