Thread: What is a pure, effective eye support supplement?

Veteran Member

Default What is a pure, effective eye support supplement?

Does anybody know of a high quality, truly natural, pure, and helpful/effective supplement to support eye health?

The only supplements I take are vitamin C and a marine oil with some antioxidants added. I also eat 3 or 4 Brazil nuts most days, which have selenium which is good for at least some aspects of eye care and eye disease prevention. (I don't think that's too many, as the organic ones we get at our coop aren't nearly as large as the Brazil nuts you see in the U.S. They must export the big ones!) I feel the need to do something more to strengthen my eyes, and figure I might as well do what I can to prevent eye diseases while I'm at it, such as age-related macular degeneration, glaucoma, etc. Any ideas?

Default Re: What is a pure, effective eye support supplement?

I do know that greens (kale, collards, spinach, chard, dandelions etc) help prevent macular degeneration. Google lutien, which is another eye support that I don't know enough about.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Patty, zeaxanthin is the most effective antioxidant you can get for the eyes. The best eye health supplent is made by Dr. Grossman called Natural Eye Care. Here's the link.

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/shop/d...o-special.html

I don't know about the other supplement, but this is good eye support. Vision is important to pilots and at 48, I still have 20/20 even with MS.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I do know that greens (kale, collards, spinach, chard, dandelions etc) help prevent macular degeneration. Google lutien, which is another eye support that I don't know enough about.
    Thanks, Islander. I eat 4 raw eggs daily, so unless the lutein in egg yolks in unavailable raw (and I'm pretty sure that's not the case and that raw is in fact better, but I may be remembering wrong), I'm hoping that pretty much takes care of lutein. (My chiropractor suggested I needed more animal protein for my muscle tone, and when he heard I usually ate one raw egg, he brightened up, and said, "Really? Could you eat more, say, 6?" So I told him I could manage 4, and he thought that was great.)
    Last edited by Pattypans; 02-03-13 at 01:52 PM.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wr7476 View Post
    Patty, zeaxanthin is the most effective antioxidant you can get for the eyes. The best eye health supplent is made by Dr. Grossman called Natural Eye Care. Here's the link.

http://www.naturaleyecare.com/shop/d...o-special.html

I don't know about the other supplement, but this is good eye support. Vision is important to pilots and at 48, I still have 20/20 even with MS.
    Wow, thanks, wr7476. That's a good customer recommendation! I looked it up immediately and it looks very good, very natural. I do have a concern about radiation in the few ingredients that come from Japan, though. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask about that.
    Last edited by Pattypans; 02-03-13 at 01:51 PM.

Omega 3 is critical for optimal eye health and vision. Sounds like you're getting plenty from the 4 egg yolks you eat daily. Zeaxanthin--already mentioned by wr7476--and lutein--mentioned by Islander--are both very critical for eye health. The other absolutely necessary nutrient for eye health is the antioxidant--anthocyanins. The very best food source for anthocyanins are the berries...any type of berries, like blueberries, cranberries, rapsberries, strawberries, etc. So, any supplement taken for eye health should contain some source of anthocyanins.

Haha, my source for all 4 of those anthocyanins is my deep freeze!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Thanks, Mr. Wiz. I'll definitely keep that in mind. And Islander, those anthocyanin sources in your deep freeze are definitely one of the perks (okay, four of the perks) of living in Maine. But, make no mistake, there is no room for envy in my heart when I can walk on over and enjoy the beach (my source of vitamin D and grounding, close contact with nature...) almost 365 days a year. Come to think of it, there would barely be room for a deep freeze in my little apartment either.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Omega 3 is critical for optimal eye health and vision. Sounds like you're getting plenty from the 4 egg yolks you eat daily.
    And on top of those, my marine oil supplement of course is a source of omega 3.

Thread Information