Thread: Reduce Your Risk Of Painful Gout By 75% With Cherries

Default Reduce Your Risk Of Painful Gout By 75% With Cherries

Dr. Robert J. Rowen
    February 6, 2013
    Health Alert E-Mail

Reduce your risk of painful gout by 75% with this tasty treat

Gout used to be fairly rare. It was a disease of the rich, because higher-priced foods tend to cause it. But now I'm seeing a lot more cases. Unfortunately, gout can be a vexing problem. There are drugs, but they have toxic effects. The good news is a wonderful food may dramatically help.

Researchers recruited 633 people with gout and followed them online for a year. They represented a reasonable cross section of demographics.

They questioned the participants about their gout, symptoms, risk factors, drugs, and whether they ate cherries and for how long. The researchers considered one serving of cherries as a half-cup, or 10-12 cherries. The researchers compared the incidence of gout among those eating cherries to those not eating cherries for two days prior to an attack. The results were promising.

Those eating cherries had a 35% decreased risk of getting symptoms over the ensuing days. Furthermore, when combined with an old allopathic standby for gout, Allopurinol, cherries reduced the risk by 75%. The cherries progressively reduced risk with up to a total intake of three servings over the two days. More cherries did not provide additional benefit.

In most cases, I prefer the whole food over the supplement. I do here as well. But the equivalent cherry extract provided the same protection. The researchers controlled for sex, obesity status, purine (the precursor chemical for uric acid) intake, alcohol use, diuretic use, and use of anti-gout medications.

The FDA hit the cherry industry for telling the public truthful information about the wonders of this superfood. Imagine the carnage if cherry producers labeled cherries as a gout remedy!

If you have gout, consider adding cherries regularly to your diet. If you can't find fresh or frozen cherries, this encouraging report tells us that equivalent cherry extract will help protect you as well. You can find an extract in most health food stores.

You can get acerola cherries in Advanced Greens Formula. Acerola cherries contain the highest amounts of vitamin C of any of the cherries. And they can help treat gout if the fresh/frozen produce isn't available.

Yours for better health and medical freedom,
    Robert J. Rowen, MD

Ref: Arthritis Rheum., 2012 Dec;64(12):4004-11.

www.secondopinionnewsletter.com

Default Re: Reduce Your Risk Of Painful Gout By 75% With Cherries

We have a wild tart cherry that grows well here in northern NM. People ignore them because they're too sour. I hang cheap, blank CDs to scare the birds, and collect the harvest in July. I then remove the CDs and let the birds have the remainder. Birds like them because they apparently can't taste sour.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

That's interesting about the acerola cherries, as they are not even related to the more familiar cherries. The first is Malphgia family, the second is Prunus - same as plums and many other stone fruit.

Acerola needs a much warmer climate.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Tart cherries are great for all kinds of inflammation. Studies have snow them to be as effective, at least, as ibuprofen.

They aren't easy to find, so i generally use tart cherry juice.

Unfortunately, most of last year's cherry crop failed. Tart cherry juice, when you can find it, has skyrocketed.

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    They aren't easy to find, so i generally use tart cherry juice. Unfortunately, most of last year's cherry crop failed. Tart cherry juice, when you can find it, has skyrocketed.
    I like to use it in my water kefir. Last time I saw it at Publix the price was $9.99 for a 32 oz bottle of the juice. It had been running $5.99. I didn't realize that's why the price had jumped like that.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I don't think the crop failure made the news. I know about it because Duane has family in Wisconsin, and they mentioned it. I think they said that the crop was only 10-15% of what they normally harvest.

I immediately went to stock up on my favorite juice, but it had already doubled in price.

The same occurred for olive oil and the price can be expected to take a leap, if it hasn't already. I thought I was being smart, buying a couple of gallons ahead of the curve... then read later (probably here) (Oh, right, on that EVOO site I posted myself)
    :: slaps forehead ::
    that EVOO is best used as fresh as possible.

Duh.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I stocked up too Islander - with 1 litre bottles, not gallons. I have managed to squeeze them into the refrigerator -just.

Yes, I moved mine to cold storage down cellar. 50˚ F.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Now that I found out that I had arthritis, I have been reading a lot about natural cures, and what-have-you. So, it appears that gout, and arthritis are "...the same thing, only different" (Cheech and Chong).
    Whole Foods sells a lovely array of organic frozen fruits, and veggies, and I stocked up on these little red gems (along with wild blueberries).

Thread Information