Thread: Sun Exposure Can Protect Against Skin Cancer, Study Says

Default Sun Exposure Can Protect Against Skin Cancer, Study Says

Elizabeth Renter
    February 8th, 2013

If you make your living off of treating people with melanoma, you might (really, might) know a thing or two about skin cancer. Dr. Angus Dalgleish says he used to advise people slather on the sunblock and avoid the sun like vampires. But now, his tune has changed and he has started advising his patients differently. The crux of his advice: reduce your cancer risk by increasing your sun exposure.

It all boils down to vitamin D.

Our body requires the sun to produce vitamin D; that’s why it’s called the sunshine vitamin. The sun is the absolute best source of vitamin D. And, Dalgleish says, vitamin D is one of the best weapons against skin cancer.

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/study-conf...m_medium=email
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Sun Exposure Can Protect Against Skin Cancer, Study Says

I am due to have several skin cancers removed from my right arm. Don't have them anywhere else, just that arm.

I did spend too many hours at the beach when young, and was proud of my lovely tan (it was OK in those days) but the right arm must be from driving. How else? BTW, we drive on the left where I live.

The sunscreen manufacturers will not be happy with Dr. Dalgleish's "about face" on advising sunblock for his patients. Well, good for him....many more will follow....eventually!!

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I am due to have several skin cancers removed from my right arm. Don't have them anywhere else, just that arm.

I did spend too many hours at the beach when young, and was proud of my lovely tan (it was OK in those days) but the right arm must be from driving. How else? BTW, we drive on the left where I live.
    Did you usually wear sunscreen? Was your right arm ever sunburned? I'm looking for alternatives to simple sun exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Did you usually wear sunscreen? Was your right arm ever sunburned? I'm looking for alternatives to simple sun exposure.

We didn't use sunscreen years ago - coconut oil was the thing, but didn't use that either. I'm sure my arm was sunburned, along with the rest of me! Haven't used it for years.

Not sure what you mean by 'alternatives to simple sun exposure'.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    Not sure what you mean by 'alternatives to simple sun exposure'.
    There are so many clearly documented benefits to sun exposure that it's distressing to think that the sun could actually cause harm. Yet I know several people who had carcinomas on face and hands, and two who had a melanoma. One of the former gardens in Maine all summer and messes about in boats all winter. I'm always looking for explanations as to how the sun could be implicated in causing harm. Sunlight reflected off the water? Melanoma has been associated with sunburn up to 20 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    There are so many clearly documented benefits to sun exposure that it's distressing to think that the sun could actually cause harm. Yet I know several people who had carcinomas on face and hands, and two who had a melanoma.ions as to how the sun could be implicated in causing harm. Sunlight reflected off the water? Melanoma has been associated with sunburn up to 20 years earlier.
    iI grew up in NW FL on the Gulf Coast. I am extremely pale and can burn in 15 minutes. That didn't stop me. I suffered serious sunburns from age 4 til about 25 or so (now in my late 50s). When I say serious, I mean often requiring medical attention and swelling severe enough I couldn't walk etc. At various points, I tried sunscreens but they all caused problems for me, even back then. One time the Air Force even threatened to court martial me for "abuse of government property". In 1993 I developed a sore on my upper lip. I was in nursing school and ignored it until an instructor told me that I had better get it checked. To make a long story short, turned out it was a squamous cell carcinoma. I was still very blase' about it until the doc informed me that a squamous cell on the lip had a good potential of metastasizing. I had it removed, yet it has recurred on and off. Usually the biopsy comes back as actinic keratosis but twice it came back as more squamous cell. The last time it recurred, I was a few years into my alternative journey and skipped the dermatologist. I have discovered that orange oil and oregano oil will remove these lesions. Painfully and slowly yes, but no docs, lol. The lesion has not recurred in at least 2 years. Not recommending that others do this, but it has worked for me. I am careful about sun exposure now but I still don't use sunscreen.

Nothing to do with me, but I just wanted to extend some sympathy for those who have had skin problems. This sounds more than just annoying. My skin does not sunburn, and no problem spots ever have appeared on my skin. I never have used sunscreen and never have avoided the sunshine, at any time of the day. And, yes I do live in the tropics, some days spending all day outdoors with very little clothing. Just fortunate, I guess.

Thread Information