Thread: How Food Companies Exploit Americans with Ingredients Banned in Other Countries

Default How Food Companies Exploit Americans with Ingredients Banned in Other Countries

Vani Hari, aka Food Babe
    February 11, 2013

Thoughts of outrage, unfairness, disbelief, and ultimately grief consumed me while I was doing this investigation. A list of ingredients that are banned across the globe but still allowed for use here in the American food supply recently made news. While I have written about some of those ingredients before, this list inspired me to look a little deeper and find out how pervasive this issue is for us. Could these banned ingredients be contributing to the higher mortality and disease rates here in the U.S.?…

http://foodbabe.com/2013/02/12/how-f...her-countries/
    Last edited by Reesacat; 02-14-13 at 11:37 AM.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Default Re: How Food Companies Exploit Americans with Ingredients Banned in Other Countries

99% of the time, if it needs a label and comes in a package, you shouldn't be eating it!

Default Re: How Food Companies Exploit Americans with Ingredients Banned in Other Countries

Yikes — I didn't realize they were selling better products outside the US. Ms. Hari goes on to state:
    "The point is the food industry has already formulated safer, better products, but they are voluntarily only selling inferior versions of these products here in America."

Better, but still garbage in IMO. I see among the ingredient lists of UK products: Flavoring, which is pretty wide open as to what it is. Palm oil, which is supposed to be healthy but has controversy surrounding it's method of harvesting. I also saw rapeseed oil, which I understand is supposed to be toxic. If I remember correctly rapeseed is used to make canola oil and is also used to make agent orange. I was torn about sharing this on FB. If we got these foods with their "improved" formulations would it really help people here, or should focus remain on getting people to eliminate these foods all together?
    Timing.... I see there is a post on canola oil today.
    Last edited by bmc65; 02-14-13 at 01:17 PM.

Most of these products are things that I have not used in years, and I'm sure most on this site feel the same way. Somehow, though, I get the feeling that in a round about way, that were all paying for the toxic effects of these products.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

I don't use any of these products, but I'm saddened by this info. because many of my friends and relatives still eat this stuff.

Thread Information