Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need info to convince friend

Default Need info to convince friend

I have a friend who is also a health nut, but he is a low fat guy. I have told him that healthy fats are good, especially saturated fats. He still believes sat fat leads to heart disease, and high cholesterol. I know better, but can't convince him no matter what.

Can anyone help me here?? Do your friends think your nuts when you tell them you eat sat fat ?

He tells me I'm going to be sorry eating grass fed beef, and the horrible fat it contains.

He keeps mentioning Japan who has the longest life span, and swears their diet low in fat makes this possible.

I need some ammo please help me out.

Mark

Default Re: Need info to convince friend

Mark, go to
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...iet+depression for starters.
    I am going to move this to the Question and Answer Forum

Found what I was looking for — article by Dwight Lundell, MD Heart Surgeon

Dr. Dwight Lundell states:
    "Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine."

More in great article at:

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/03...-Disease.shtml

Also this is a good article and discussion:
    High-Fat Diets Lower Blood Sugar, Cholesterol, Reset Metabolism and Prevent Obesity
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ight=high+diet

There are a lot of threads here with links to information. Here's a few more: The cholesterol myth: http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...t=cholesterol; Heart disease (and diabetes) is a sugar disease: http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...t=cholesterol; Medical Mavericks and heart disease: http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ht=cholesterol.
    Also, the Weston A. Price Foundation is a wealth of information on this. http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-.../health-topics

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Found what I was looking for — article by Dwight Lundell, MD Heart Surgeon

Dr. Dwight Lundell states:
    "Let me repeat that: The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine."

More in great article at:

http://preventdisease.com/news/12/03...-Disease.shtml
    I already tried Dr. Lundell, but he's on quackwatch so my friend dismisses it and states he just wants money for his book.

He really might be impossible to convince...

Stephen Barrett could not possibly be qualified to speak as an expert about the thousands of subjects he targets for demonization on his Qwackwatch site. Nor is there enough time in the day to research the few, and weak at that, supporting evidences that he provides. I wonder who supports his website? Enough said, other than it would be an honor to the subject of one of his witch hunts.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

'He really might be impossible to convince... ' No amount of information you give him will get through if he is not ready for it. The fat myth is well and truly entrenched.

But keep trying!

Here's a rebuttal of Stephen Barrett: http://www.quackpotwatch.org/quackpo...ts/barrett.htm
    Barrett, in the Canadian case, has formally admitted, according to Canadian law, to a number of situations put to him by the Plaintiff, including:

"The sole purpose of the activities of Barrett & Baratz are to discredit and cause damage and harm to health care practitioners, businesses that make alternative health therapies or products available, and advocates of non-allopathic therapies and health freedom."

"Barrett has interfered with the civil rights of numerous Americans, in his efforts to have his critics silenced."

"Barrett has strategically orchestrated the filing of legal actions in improper jurisdictions for the purpose of frustrating the victims of such lawsuits and increasing his victims costs."

"Barrett failed the exams he was required to pass to become a Board Certified Medical Doctor."
    As Julieanne said, if he's not willing to learn/change his mind, nothing will. I have several acquaintances like that.

You are all great, thanks for the info. I agree with the quackwatch site being bs. I have already sent my friend info on the owner of the site to no avail.

We have been debating for 2 days now via text.

I was hoping there was a study out there that was proven to be cherry picked that someone had access to. He is a smart guy, but he refuses to see the truth.

My egg yolks, grass fed beef, and raw dairy are killing me according to him. I really just want to shake some sense into him.

Frustrated, but not giving up, now I need to get my lipid profile done.

He isn't ready to hear what you are saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    He isn't ready to hear what you are saying.
    Unfortunately reesacat this seems to be the case. He is also very stubborn which does not help one bit.

I have found that agreeing to disagree and then let it drop often helps. (The more you you try to convince a stubborn person the more they go in the opposite direction, especially a young man. I'm a grandmother ;-)..)

And don't forget the power of living a good example — without saying a word what you are doing is improving your and your family's health. Results speak for themselves! Many of us on Hawkes Health have family and friends that do not want to hear what we have to say, but as they watch us change doors have opened.

I think also the low-fat diet is just now starting to get challenged. When I went gluten free a few years ago no one had heard of it, now it is being talked about in mainstream media. Sometimes the seeds you plant now will be watered and later bear fruit.

Veteran Member

Mark, your friend may never be ready to hear what you're trying to tell him. He's just as convinced he's right as you are convinced he's wrong. I learned a long time ago that trying to convince others of anything, healthwise, is a waste of breath unless your name has a lot of impressive titles attached to it. Best bet is to just let things be and quit mentioning it. If and when your friend is ready for a change, he will likely insist on finding his own way--as he does now. You need to understand that we each have our own journey in this life, right or wrong, and you can't be responsible for anyone but yourself.
    Last edited by Lovemywesties; 02-22-13 at 01:32 PM.

Mark: As you noted, perhaps the results of your lipid profile may be enough to convince your friend--perhaps? May I suggest that if you really want to blow your friend's socks off get the verticle auto profile (VAP) lipid panel analysis, rather than the standard lipid profile analysis. VAP provides the standard info. on LDL, HDL, Triglycerides, etc., plus 15 additional subfractions. For example, in addition to the overall LDL number, VAP provides readings for your LDL-1, LDL-2, LDL-3, & LDL-4. Also, most important, VAP determines the size of your LDL. In pattern A, the LDL molecules are larger and less dense, making them easier for the body to remove. In pattern A/B, there is a combination of light and dense molecules. In pattern B, smaller, high-density molecules predominate, which indicates a four-fold greater risk of developing heart disease than people with LDL size pattern A. The VAP test cost twice as much as the standard lipid panel and not all insurances cover VAP. However, IMHO, I think the extra cost is well worth it, given the detailed info. provided by the VAP. Your friend will not be able to ignore the indisputable analysis of the VAP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information