Thread: Organic Tomatoes Accumulate More Vitamin C, Sugars Than Conventionally Grown Fruit

Default Organic Tomatoes Accumulate More Vitamin C, Sugars Than Conventionally Grown Fruit

No author
    Febraury 20 2013

Tomatoes grown on organic farms accumulate higher concentrations of sugars, vitamin C and compounds associated with oxidative stress compared to those grown on conventional farms, according to research published February 20 in the open access journal PLOS ONE by Maria Raquel Alcantara Miranda and colleagues from the Federal University of Ceara, Brazil.
    In their study, the researchers compared the weights and biochemical properties of tomatoes from organic and conventional farms. They found that tomatoes grown on organic farms were approximately 40% smaller than those grown by conventional techniques, and they also accumulated more compounds linked to stress resistance.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...Environment%29

Default Re: Organic Tomatoes Accumulate More Vitamin C, Sugars Than Conventionally Grown Frui

I'm going o try growing tomatoes again this year. I hadn't had much luck in the past. It's funny that I can tolerate organic heirlooms.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Default Re: Organic Tomatoes Accumulate More Vitamin C, Sugars Than Conventionally Grown Frui

But but but...don't you know that nutritionally there is no difference between organic and conventional???

Seriously, this is really good confirmation of what we know. I currently have seedlings of Prudenc heirloom, Sungold (both thanks to Islander) and also an heirloom Roma tomato growing. Hopefully they will survive transplanting outdoors. I'm really excited.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

No matter what the studies show, i know this to be true. We can TASTE the difference.

Recently, at my ILs, Duane was using the organic ketchup we keep there, and my ILs were using conventional. I encouraged them to try the difference between the two. My MIL refused (she's been very resistant and critical of our food/choices recently), but my FIL added some to his plate.

He did not comment, which in itself is unusual. He generally is very vocal on his opinions. If he didn't taste a difference, i think he would have said so. Maybe he didn't because he didn't want to irritate my MIL. On the other hand, maybe he really didn't taste a difference. It is hard for either Duane or me to imagine, but maybe they really can't taste the difference. Does eating crap for years change your taste buds?

My FIL bragged to me recently the HE bought some organic milk. Still ultra-pasteurized and homogenized. He said he likes it better than the conventional stuff they usually have. It was Horizon brand, of which i have a very poor opinion. Still, i didn't want to be critical, and said something supportive. I've noticed since then that everything in their fridge is the poorest quality of milk possible. (MIL usually does the shopping, and she believes in cheap food.)

Sadly, the U.S. has role-modeled the cheap food concept, and I think we lead the world in this regard, even in those places where beans and rice comprise the main diet. By that I mean we spend the smallest percentage of gross income on food of any country. It simply reminds me of the old adage, "You get what you pay for."
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Too bad the researchers didn't compare the pesticide load of organic versus conventional tomatoes. The Environmental Working Group ranks conventionally grown tomatoes at #18 on a list of fruits with the highest pesticide load. I'll take the 40% smaller organic tomatoes over the pesticide-laden conventionally grown tomatoes any day.

Ahem.
    My heirloom organic tomatoes are huge, many of them easily over a pound each. Offer to send seeds still good, just need your SASE.

Would it be considered rude if I posted "Duh!" as a response to the article? Since when we stopped doing stuff that has been done for generations until it has been "scientifically proven"? How can we so quickly forget the fresh and natural? Has it even been 50 years?

I would take those researchers and put them to do some real work in my backyard... Sorry for being cross, but in my mind those studies are such a waste of human effort, time and money. (That is AFTER we waste effort, time and money on developing all of them chemicals that would be sprayed on, injected, seeped from the ground, etc., into perfectly good produce).

Reminds me of an old (Russian) army joke - "In the spirit of keeping our soldiers busy and well trained, the battalion #1 will be digging 1000 holes in the dirt around our barracks today. Battalion #2 is to follow them with a 20 minutes delay putting the dirt back in".
    Last edited by ndtobe; 02-25-13 at 12:34 AM.

ndtobe, far ruder things have been said here!

We call that sort of study "Bubbah research" — conclusions your grandmother could have told you. It mystifies me that someone still pays grant money to prove what's already well known.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post

It mystifies me that someone still pays grant money to prove what's already well known.

Yet still many disagree. I'm beginning to think you can't prove this often enough - keep saying it over and over till the right people listen.

Agree with ndtobe!

Thread Information