Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

Default Re: 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

I get very ill from plain Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as I have a damaged gut and almost immediately get cramps and loose stools with a dose over 100 mg. I do fine with the LivOn Labs Liposomal Vitamin C at the dose of 1000 mg — no GI problems at all. I have even taken 2-3 doses when sick and not had any GI symptoms.

When I tried the Mercola Lipsomal Vitamin C product I was getting ill on the 500 mg capsule with the same GI symptoms as I did non-lipsomal ascorbic acid. I thought I was having a stomach bug or something when in answer to prayer Mellow came across these reviews. I stopped the Mercola product, got more LivOn Lab Lipsomal Vitamin C and haven't had a problem since.

Veteran Member

Thanks, Reesa. That's interesting information. As Mr Wizard pointed out, no company is perfect. Mercola has many unquestioning followers who think he can do no wrong. Granted, he gives out some good common-sense advice, but he's also making a ton of money from people who blindly buy anything and everything he sells.

Veteran Member

Thank you, Reesacat. My husband just sent me these links. Sorry to have caused you extra work.

This is pretty outrageous of Dr. M, in my opinion. He ought to refund every penny anybody ever spent on it. How has he not addressed this problem? If it was an honest mistake, it could be easily fixed--at his expense, but I'm guessing he can afford it. Very disappointing.

No problem Pattypans! I was very upset myself.

I have purchased Mercola's Liposomal vit. C....lots of it. The LivOn analysis of Mercola's liposomal vit. C product is truly disturbing. I don't like being duped out of my hard-earned money, and will not take this matter lightly. The best I can hope for is Mercola made an honest mistake, relying on his experts who misled him. If he engaged in false advertising, this is a crime. I for one will not hesitate to take action. @Reesacat, thanks for sharing the LivOn analysis and your own personal experience with the Mercola liposomal vit. C. This goes a long way with me because I trust you.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 11-01-13 at 08:47 PM.

Mr. Wiz, since he has been advised of this situation, and since no product recalls or immediate actions were taken, I stand by my original statement that his products are no more reliable than any peddler of merchandise on the 'Net. He is a marketer par excellence and could sell oxygen to fish. If you search out online reviews of his products, you might get an education. When I order supplements, I prefer to do so from trusted sources. The same is true for hard goods, e.g. cookware. Oh, and another common complaint is that money-back guarantees are never honored. Read the reviews.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Whole food C complex does not need to be liposomal. Ascorbic acid C doesn't have to be either, so long as a huge enough dose of it is taken that enough of it is taken that it simply overwhelms the stomach acids to the point that some of the molecule shell gets through for absorption. Mercola's vitamin C is composed of ascorbic acid and uses sunflower lecithin to protect the weak ascorbic acid shell. I would use caution because it is a synthetic C protected by a seed lecithin, but I would still call it a liposome. At LivOn's prices, they would have a hard time convincing me that dropping my Mega Food Complex C in favor of theirs would be a better choice.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

wr, I can't agree. To equal the impact of a liposomal dose, your oral C dose would be so high that you would immediately reach bowel tolerance... and lose any cost advantage. Also, the body is only able to absorb a limited amount of an oral dose to begin with. I wonder whether you understand the concept of the liposome. Yes, the price is higher but often one dose is all it takes. And you can make your own. Instructions in a sticky on the vitamin C forum.
    Last edited by Islander; 11-01-13 at 03:20 PM.

Veteran Member

I've been told it's very important that the water you make your own with be very pure, because, just as the vitamin C will be powerfully delivered to your cells, so will any toxins in your water.

Update: Today, I spoke with Mercola customer service. Here's what I was told...verbatim..."There are no liposomes in the product. However, when taken as directed with water, liposomes will form in your body providing you with the benefits as listed on the web page." In response, I said: "so you're telling me that Mercola's liposomal vitamin C contains no liposomes...why is it called liposomal vit. C? Also, if the benefits are derived from taking with water, why are directions to take with "food and water?" Response: "The formula uses the liposomal technology. The ingredients in the formula will form liposomes in your body once combined with water, making it liposomal vit. C. Food sometimes help if there's an upset stomach." Bottom line: I told the customer service rep. that none of this made any sense to me and requested a refund for every bottle I ever purchased. She responded that Mercola policy only allowed for a store credit for products purchased longer than 60 days ago. I vehemently protested the policy. I was told that an exception could be made in my case (no reason was given why I was granted an exception). I was sent a return authorization via email for $12.32 for each bottle I return. Downside: I have to pay shipping for return of products. I don't care. I consider this somewhat of a victory over a large company that sold me a product that did not meet its advertising claims. I've not been this perturbed in a long time. This does not close the book on this saga. I'm far from being done with this matter!!

I am speechless -- what a load of bullshit they told you!

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    I am speechless -- what a load of bullshit they told you!
    Yeah, I know. But, I'm far from done with them!!

Mr. Wizard -- you are awesome!

Wiz, you go guy!

Wiz, you ROCK! You are my new superhero!

Mercola has a team of lawyers on retainer, surpassed only by Monsanto, Bayer, Syngenta, Dupont etc. If they dodged the LiveOn assault, well... I'm waiting with bated breath!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information