Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

Default Re: 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

Go Mr. Wizard! I can't say it any better than Reesacat did! Considering the amount of mechanical force or ultrasonic vibration it takes to form a liposome, you would have to have either a very strong immersion blender or ultrasonic jewelry cleaner residing in your stomach for what they said to be remotely possible. That would be just to get the home made stuff which is lucky to be 50% liposomal, lol.

Reesacat, thanks heaps for finding that! Reminds me why I refuse to buy any of his crap (not that any of it is affordable, not even with my birthday discount). I did buy my Omega juicer because a) he didn't manufacture it, and b) nobody else was offering free shipping at the same (or lower) price.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Islander, I'm mystified. What post by Reesacat are you responding to?

I think that might have been meant for the current thread: http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ad.php?t=15206

Yes, sorry, I should have used the "quote" function. I meant the above post, linking us to this thread discussing the faulty product Mercola was peddling. It's a crossover from a topic a day or two ago on what supplements the experts recommend.
    Last edited by Islander; 09-11-14 at 08:36 AM.

I'm a heavy supplement user, about 20/day in between gulps with my morning breakfast. Four of those supps come from Mercola; astaxanthin, krill oil, ubiquinol, and his probiotic. My vit E has recently been upgraded to mixed tocopherols, d-alpha tocopherol, d-gamma tocopherol, d-delta tocopherol from Vitacost. However, this product has soy bean oil in it's ingredients. Will have to look for a better mixed tocopherol Vit E. I use sodium ascorbate, recomended by a good source, for my Vit C, by Source Naturals, also through Vitacost. I will have to learn more about rotating probiotics. Anyone familiar with Brenda Watson's line of probiotics.

grulla, I have grown to like a supplement site called Pure Formulas. The products they carry are from manufacturers you may have never heard of. The bottles aren't necessarily pretty, you know, setting suns or something like that. I was seeing an N.P. who carried some of the lines of products on this site. She was a great practitioner, until she had to leave town due to family matters.
    The point I want to make is that supplement sources and fillers play an important part in the effectiveness of a supplement. Common allergens such as corn and soy are found in many low cost supplements. It leaves me to wonder if the reason some people who have taken a supplement that is supposed to help for a given condition, and is halted from further use by that person due to a bad reaction, isn't due to an allergic reaction. And all the while, I'm thinking it was a detox reaction.
    Now, while I believe a high quality, effective supplement is going to cost more, we still have to do our homework. It helps to have a food allergy test to filter out what you should omit. The good supplements will cost more. Don't fall for the extravagantly priced ones though. Ohhiras probiotics, for instance, are priced to break the bank, so why do they include carageenan and caramel color? There is no reason to have this thickener or this coloring in a capsule, unless it was required for some kind of approval.
    So, here's a link to my new favorite supplement website, and a link for food allergy testing for about 200 bucks. Do it if you can swing the funds.

http://www.pureformulas.com/#.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Suppleme...lood-Test.html
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Grulla, it's none of my business, but you appear to eat sensibly and organically and lead an active lifestyle, so it puzzles me why anyone in your good health should require so many supplements, especially Merc's overpriced items. I've found through trial and error that I need 4g of C a day, and at my age and location I need to supplement with D3 and its co-factors to keep my level at 80 ng/mL. I take half of Life Extension's 2-Per Day mullti-vite-mineral per day just for insurance. Beyond that? I do keep a few, like cod liver oil and magnesium malate, on hand, but other than that, I think merchandising has convinced us to buy buy buy unnecessary and costly adjuncts like green-lipped mussel oil and krill oil. Eat more fish!

Hello "WR"; "She was a great practitioner, until she had to leave town due to family matters." That's the third time I have heard that similar story. We had a wonderful lady ND here in SC NM who left to go back to SD for the same reason, which makes me suspicious that the local allopathic establishment gangs up on these practitioners and pressures them to leave town...hmmm?

In my case, I believe the soy oil is in the capsule material, but either way, it is good to rectify that situation, and if nothing else, send a message to these supplement producers, by going to an organic supplement product.

Thanks for all those links and connections, as I will check into them. Some of the supplement products mentioned and recommended by above posters, such as Dr's Choice, can be gotten through economical Vitacost. And another example is the NOW products, such as the MSM I purchase at my local Silver City Food Co-op. Finding better products is a never ending task.

Veteran Member

I have to agree with Islander regarding supplement overkill. I dislike taking numerous capsules of this and that, which never made me feel any better and often (I suspect) made me feel worse. My homeopath pointed out that I was likely upsetting the natural chemical balance of my body with too many isolates.

For a while I stopped taking all of them, except for D3. These days I limit my supplementation to D3, magnesium (without which I tend to get muscle spasms), fish oil on the days I don't eat sardines or salmon, and once or twice a week I have a "cocktail" consisting of a high-quality powdered green drink (Garden of Life or Amazing Grass) and Great Lakes gelatin. That's it. I get the rest of my nutrients from my food, which I've NEVER been convinced is lacking in what my body needs. I'm far more comfortable with this regimen than I ever was gagging down a daily handful of gelcaps, pills, and capsules. I feel better physically and my bank account is healthier as well.

As a side note, although I've never tried Ohhira's supplements, I did buy a bar of the Ohhira facial soap containing probiotics. After using it for several days I developed very itchy eyelids, particularly around the lashes. What sounded like a good idea, wasn't. I ended up throwing it away.
    Last edited by Lovemywesties; 09-12-14 at 12:39 PM.

Hi "Islander": "...so it puzzles me why anyone in your good health should require so many supplements..." Which came first, the chicken or the egg? I contribute that good health, in great part, to those very supps that you mention which I take, as well as all my outdoor activities. Also, as I recently posted here, my first ever July blood work showed my 25HydroxyD level to be at 61ng/ml. That is the result of taking just one combination capsule of Vit K2 MK7 45 mcg with D3 2000IU, each and every day, plus I tan 20 minutes per day, weather and season permitting. I was real happy about those results but hope to raise that level in the future like your high D level which I believe is up in the 80s...no? Hey guess what, we are having fish (salmon) today, Friday, and I'm not even Catholic. :-) (No offense intended).

Good for you (I am Catholic and thought it was funny )

Apologies, Grulla. I didn't mean to lecture you (though on retrospect it may have sounded that way) but it seemed to me that a healthy person with no chronic conditions needs little beyond a wholesome diet. The very word "supplement" means something extra to supply an unmet need. I fear you (and others who buy into the need for yet more of this 'n' that) are throwing away hard-earned money as a result of someone's convincing sales pitch. Ask yourself what evidence you have that your body needs X, Y or Z. Remember Sulfur Dude? Before he was banned for spamming, he scared a lot of people into dropping $60 into his pocket.

Sorry, I'll shut up now....

BTW, Vitacost now carries the NOW brand. More savings!

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Apologies, Grulla. I didn't mean to lecture you (though on retrospect it may have sounded that way) but it seemed to me that a healthy person with no chronic conditions needs little beyond a wholesome diet. The very word "supplement" means something extra to supply an unmet need. I fear you (and others who buy into the need for yet more of this 'n' that) are throwing away hard-earned money as a result of someone's convincing sales pitch. Ask yourself what evidence you have that your body needs X, Y or Z. Remember Sulfur Dude? Before he was banned for spamming, he scared a lot of people into dropping $60 into his pocket.

Sorry, I'll shut up now....

BTW, Vitacost now carries the NOW brand. More savings!
    Jeepers "Islander", no apologies necessary. And I understand your concerns. But even I don't know which came first, the chicken or the egg, so I will err on the side of caution, as my vitamin doses are minimal lifestyle quantities, and are only increased to a remedial level if the need should appear. In that way, I feel that I am getting at least a minimal dose of nutritional value, rather than none at all.

Oops,I forgot to mention that with my erratic routine I also include a daily detox: MCP (Modified Citrus Pectin), and cilantro after meals. I sometimes do chlorella as well, on days when I have the patience to fosssick around with the powder.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information