Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

Default 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

Anthony Gucciardi
    February 28, 2013

In a world where health consciousness is increasingly more popular each day, major corporations have entered the health supplements marketplace under new ‘health’ brands in an attempt to soak up some of the profits. In doing this, these corporations that truly do not have any concern for the actual quality of their products tend to cut costs by using dangerous fillers and additives that pose a serious risk to your health. A risk that is particularly concerning when considering that these supplements are supposed to enhance your health.
    Enabling cheaper production at a quicker pace and utilizing cheap materials (such as GMO-containing corn to extract vitamin C), these 4 common fillers are your worst nightmare and mega corporation’s dream come true:

http://naturalsociety.com/4-common-d...h-supplements/
    Last edited by Islander; 03-03-13 at 10:48 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Default Re: 4 Common Dangers Lurking In Your 'Health' Supplements

I hope this alerts the folks who think all supplements are equal or that cheap is beautiful. Chances are the vitamins and other supplements you pick up at the supermarket, drugstore or chain store are synthetics at best...and at worst, contaminated with pollutants from China. You won't see "China" on the label, though, because the law does not require that the sources of all ingredients be listed.

If you care enough about your health to buy supplements, please buy from a trusted source or order online.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Good article....thanks. I've always avoided supplements with those ingredients. Another additive I've run into is magnesium stearate. I've looked into it, it seems pretty benign. I, myself prefer the NOW brand of supplements. I've always had good results with them. I always avoid supplements in drug and grocery stores...cheap and nasty!
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

@Stephen X: I used to use NOW brand all the time too. However over the last year they started putting rice flour in and maltodextrin in a lot of their supplements. I don't tolerate rice very well at all and maltodextrin is almost always from GMO corn besides being a hidden source of MSG. So I now use a variety of brands depending on inactive ingredients.

Mellow...thanks. I do not blindly use any brand. If I order a supplement and it has questionable ingredients, I'll never buy it again.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Navigating the health supplement industry these days is quite the challenge. I've decided that "generally" the best supplements are made by companies that specialize in producing supplements only. As the article noted, numerous corporations, that engage in other lines of products, have started to enter the health supplement marketplace to capitalizie on the profits. So, my first rule of thumb for purchasing supplements is to buy from only companies that are in business solely to sell supplements. These companies stand to lose everything if they produce inferior products. Also, I don't deal with companies that don't offer "live" customer service. If I have inquiries about a product, I don't want to leave a message on a website and wait several days for a response. A supplement company that values its customers will provide live customer service personnel to handle inquiries and concerns. These are just a few ways I attempt to assure myself I'm dealing with a reputable supplement company.

Quite astute, Mr Wizard. Care to offer any examples? PM me if you care to do. I for one am really tired of getting ripped off.

@Maurya: No company is perfect, but I've had fairly positive experiences dealing with Solgar, Life Extensions, Wellness Resources, and Mercola.

I used to buy many products made by New Chapter. But how can I trust them now that they sold out to Procter and Gamble, the same company that sells Pringles chips?
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Mercola must have improved recently, then. I used to get loads of complaints from members, back when my level was "Moderator." Evidently people thought either that I had become one of the staff, or that I had some mysterious power to make the world right, because they used to drop their hideous experiences with Customer Service at my feet.

Veteran Member

The Huldah Clark store seems invested in producing top quality supplements, and many are reasonably prices. For mostly herb-based tinctures, etc., Dr. Schultz has good stuff, it seems to me. I also use a variety of suppliers, and look very carefully into whatever I'm thinking about buying.

I see that this is an old thread that has been re-activated, so it;s an opportunity to confirm that nothing at mercola.com has changed. He's currently peddling a liposomal vitamin C that is simply flat-out not liposomal. This is a major problem.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I see that this is an old thread that has been re-activated, so it;s an opportunity to confirm that nothing at mercola.com has changed. He's currently peddling a liposomal vitamin C that is simply flat-out not liposomal. This is a major problem.
    Oh, dear! That is a problem, and it's a problem for me, because that's what we've been using! Can you elaborate, please, Islander?

I got really sick (GI irritation) from it. I am away from computer right now -- will get info on it and post later.

This is from LivOnLabs who actually analyzed Dr. Mercola's Liposomal Vitamin C:

"Review of Dr. Mercola® Liposomal Vitamin C by LivOn Laboratories Inc.

Over the years, Dr. Joseph Mercola has done a commendable job of promoting natural ways to maintain
    good health. He is highly regarded by millions of people for the information he has shared with the
    public regarding the dangers of vaccines and fluoride, the benefits of proper nutrition and supplements,
    and more.
    This is why we were disappointed to see the deceptive information Dr. Mercola recently released in
    promotion of his company’s new Liposomal Vitamin C dietary supplement.
    The fact is: The product is NOT liposomal. In other words, there are NO liposomes in it."

The rest of the PDF gives the in-depth analysis.
    http://www.livonlabs.com/liposome-en...-Vitamin-C.pdf

And this note on the Vitamin C Foundation blog:
    http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/fo...p?f=20&t=10809

Hi Owen,
    We are still working out the logistics of how to distribute this[Mercola] review. Since you and your members are really educated when it comes to liposomes and real liposomal products, we wanted to get your feedback before we made any plans for widespread distribution.

Regarding a “challenge” to Mercola to make a real liposomal product, we have actually made this request directly to Mercola. In an attempt to help him save face we contacted him directly with our concerns. He never responded to our requests, and when we have talked to members of his Customer Service team, they are unable to answer our questions about the lack of water and apparent lack of liposomes. They have also refused to provide proof that the product contains liposomes, but have been quick to guarantee 100% liposome encapsulation (which is nearly impossible for a nutraceutical liposomal product unless it’s been extensively “cleaned” to remove any un-encapsulated nutrients). This whole experience with Dr. Mercola has caused our entire team – once faithful subscribers to Mercola.com – to question everything he’s ever said, and every product he sells.

It’s our hope that anyone taking Mercola’s product will take this “Review” as a cue to question Mercola before relying on his Liposomal Vitamin C to help them.

Shari Paulsen
    Project Manager
    LivOn Laboratories Inc.
    Last edited by Islander; 10-31-13 at 11:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information