Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our friend just got shot in the chest. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Our friend just got shot in the chest. Any suggestions?

I think megadoses of C can do absolutely no harm in lipo form, since so much more is absorbed and it bypasses the loose stool issues. He would still benefit from divided doses, as with any C, I would think. C will assist the immune system, fight stress and inflammation, speed healing. Idiotic moronic hospital food rules... what they know about nutrition I could write on my thumbnail and still have room for my shopping list.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I don't see a contraindication to divided doses of liposomal C in some juice or something.

I totally agree with Islander and Reesacat.

Prayers to your friend Ed. I echo what the others are saying. I'd wait until he is out of the ICU and perhaps is even back home, then kick in with alternative treatments to speed his healing. But for now I think it would be too many cooks so to speak.

Thank you all for your prayers and counsel.

Here are the latest updates with our friend: http://emmanuelguitarman.blogspot.com.br/

There are several issues we are working on that I would love to have your input on.

1. He hasn't had a bowel movement since he arrived at the hospital. Hopefully he will be going home this week, but I'm concerned with this lack of bowel movement. The hospital staff did one enema and it didn't work. They gave him mineral oil orally and that didn't work and they gave up. I suggested a Vitamin C flush or bowel tolerance Vitamin C procedure that will bring him to diarrhea. Any thoughts? It will also serve to see how depleted he is of Vitamin C which will give us a baseline for further dosing.

2. He seems to also have the beginning of bed sores on his back and feet. I am recommending messages with Magnesium oil. I just got some and will try to get it to the hospital today. I am also suggesting dry brushing. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the help!! He's making such progress.

Here's a very specific question: Does anyone know any contraindications for B vitamins? His family members are bringing Vitamin B, some very complete ones etc and a natural one too. I know that Vitamin B tends to methylate mercury and that's why I don't take it as I'm still a bit mercury toxic from my old dental work. I don't yet know if Eman has any amalgam fillings. But if you have any thoughts, please let me know. Thank you.

With the damge to the spine I think B vitamins are a good idea -- stress depletes them and they are essential for nerve health.

Ed, do you know about Reflexology?
    It's easy to get a chart and work acupressure points on feet for organs and systems, including colon.

Vit C and magnesium oil both excellent suggestions. The magnesium also helps constipation.

Manuka honey is good for any skin lesion. Messy but effective.
    Last edited by Reesacat; 03-18-13 at 08:30 AM.

It has been such a gift to pray for Eman and family -- such precious people. And to see the miracles! Our prayer group has been rejoicing!
    I am so glad the family has you Ed to help them

I have been following the blog and I'm just so thrilled at his progress. I agree that B vitamins are a very good idea; especially if sourced from food. Is there any way to ask for B12 and folate levels to be checked? Vitamin C is essential for healing and collagen formation so that too is a great idea. I do have reservations about a vitamin C flush as he is still pretty immobile. It would be very very uncomfortable for him and harsh on his skin. Once he is able to get onto a bedside commode, that may be an option but I think something gentler at this time. Readers; don't read any further if you are easily grossed out but Ed asked a question and I feel I need to answer in detail

I hope this isn't too much information but, if he hasn't had a BM in this amount of time, he may have an impaction and it may need to be manually removed. Most patients with spinal cord injuries have to have this done routinely. Sometimes stimulating the rectum with a finger is enough to bring on a bowel movement. Hopefully the nurses/doctors would be aware if he needed this but: Is his abdomen firm; is it distended; is he nauseated; does he have an appetite; does he have belly pain (might not know with the injury); is he passing small amounts of liquid stool? You might want to ask a nurse to check him for an impaction.

For the skin breakdown; by the time you see it on the surface, damage has been done deep into the tissue. It is absolutely essential that he be turned every 2 hours. Another suggestion would be an oscillating air mattress. I have no idea if that is possible where you are. If it is not open, very gentle massage is helpful if not too painful. If open, the most critical thing is to prevent infection and as Reesacat said, Manuka honey is great.

I am just waking up — early morning here in US. Mellow is right about not doing Vitamin C flush — any diarrhea could collect under his back and cause skin breakdown.

Some of the problems with constipation and skin breakdown are just due to what happened — massive trauma from gunshot wound, temporary paralysis of spine including nerves for skin and digestive system, swelling, not being able to eat or move, most pain medications and anesthesia for surgery are constipating. Food, fluids and movement are critical for bowel movements and also for good skin health.

Anything they can do to passively move limbs, turn every 2 hours, sit up, etc. will help. Since he just had spinal surgery I would caution work with the nurses. Do they have any type of physical therapy available at that hospital?

Thank you all for the information. The good news is if all continues, he will going home on Thursday, in just two days. His children are there now at the hospital and I spoke with his oldest son who says they keep the places where his bed sores are from touching anything. He has one on his back. They move him every couple of hours. and they are keeping the place where he has a sore on his foot in the air as well.

We don't have that Manuka hones, but we do have Tea Tree oil. Would that be good? or Coconut Oil?

Reesacat, Eman's mother is coming on this Friday and is bringing Vit B. She found several different types sourced from natural sources that appear to be good. So we have that covered for the moment. Any ideas on dose sizes?

Regarding reflexology, I spent Saturday with Dr. Mark Sircus, who happened to be here visiting his mother-in-laws parents, and he showed me the main points on the toes and feet. I will have to find a good diagram and then I plan to show this to Eman's wife and youngest daughter so they can do it. I'm also going to get in touch with a friend who does acupressure and see if she can teach them how to do some basic pressure points to help stimulate his nerves.

We have Mag Oil and hope to use it topically and give him oral doses as well. I have it here, but haven't been able to get it to the hospital yet.

Mellowsong, I'll try to see if we can get his levels tested. I can't believe that the hospital has allowed him to go all this time without a bowel movement. I am hoping to talk with his wife a bit later this evening and see what she was able to do yesterday and today about this. How do you give an enema to someone in his condition? I know for me I would never be able to get it into a bed pan while on my back. It would go everywhere but the bedpan.

I'm not sure what therapy they have at the hospital but they will be leaving in a day or so, so it will be up to the family now.

Do you have any opinion about dry brushing? I do it daily and love it. It just feels so good. I also use the brush and/or the knobby side of the brush to bang and rub with too, which feels good. Once his sores heal, I imagine that this type of brushing and stimulation would be good for the skin.

Thank you all again for your prayers. You are all a part of this miracle!!

Here's a link to a site collecting donations for them plus quite a bit more information and photos for your information: http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...-Janeiro/47390

NaturalHealthEd — here is a site that is easy to understand and has basic foot reflexology charts:
    http://www.how-to-do-reflexology.com...gyfootmap.html

I don't know about doses for trauma/spinal injury for B vitamins. Natural sources are the best, and they do better if given in a complex since they work together. I take large doses of Vitamin B12 (5,000 mcg) 4-5 times a week for my CFIDS and some nerve damage (post-shingles, pinched nerves due to scoliosis) and do well. At this point with the type of damage he has suffered a good naturopath would be wonderful to guide nutrition through the recovery and I just don't know enough.

Here is a link to Patient Care Education on maintaining healthy bowels from the University of Washington Department of Rehabilitation Medicine:
    http://rehab.washington.edu/patientc...sci_bowels.asp

Coconut oil in itself is very good for any type of skin problem. I have used regular local raw honey for cuts and skin irritations when I have run out of the Manukua honey and it works well. Mellow mixes colloidal silver in with coconut oil to make a good infection fighting/healing skin salve.

I haven't used dry brushing so can't offer an opinion.

I will post the prayer request for the Sarah Rehab facility on our prayer group

NaturalHealthEd: Tea Tree oil would not be the same as the honey. There are various compounds in the honey that are healing and it also forms a shield. I have also had good results with local raw honey.

As to an enema; You don't use a bedpan. Ideally you give the enema, then assist him up onto a bedside commode. If this isn't feasible, you simply cover the bed with lots of disposable waterproof (or washable) pads; then bathe him immediately afterwards.

Dry brushing: I have a brush and did it for a while, I just kind of let it go as I saw and felt no difference. That's just me, I have a friend who swears by it. However, from what I've read, it would be immensely beneficial and I don't see how it could hurt as long as done right and any open areas left alone.

I am so inspired by him and his whole family and they remain in my prayers.

So glad you were able to meet with Mark Sircus! Prognosis sounds promising comared to your expections going into this. I am so thrilled and impressed by the power of intention and positive attitude!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information