Thread: Water Fasting and Juice Fasting

Default Water Fasting and Juice Fasting

Jon Barron
    03/09/2013

Water fasting and juice fasting, like detoxing--and heck, if done correctly, they are forms of detoxing--are the Rodney Dangerfield of alternative health: they "don't get no respect."1 According to WebMD, for example, there isn't enough evidence to support health claims for either water fasting or juice fasting, and "that type of fasting can actually be dangerous, especially for people who have other medical problems."2 And according to an NBC News article that cites a number of so-called experts, long-term fasts can lead to muscle breakdown and a shortage of many needed nutrients, in addition to depriving the body of the vitamins and minerals that you get from food, which can "actually weaken the body's ability to fight infections and inflammation."3 The article goes on to state that because crash diets--their euphemism for either water fasting or juice fasting-- can upset blood sugar, potassium and sodium levels in the body, people with diabetes, heart or kidney disease or women who are pregnant or nursing shouldn't try them; and children, teens, older adults, or people with certain digestive conditions should also steer clear.

Read more: http://www.jonbarron.org/detox/water...er+3%2F11%2F13
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Water Fasting and Juice Fasting

That is one of the most reasonable, balanced articles on fasting I have seen!

Fasting makes me feel better than when eating...for a while.

Highlander, if you don't mind being questioned, in what way does food make you feel "bad"?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Highlander, if you don't mind being questioned, in what way does food make you feel "bad"?
    Most foods make me feel tired at best -- especially anything cooked. It's like I get hit with a tranq dart. Grains make me feel bloated, brain foggy, give me cravings. Sugar (including honey) makes me itch and gives me cravings, although I can handle very small amounts (like 1/2 a tsp). Potatoes (which I love more than bread and sugar) make random joints hurt and sometimes cause "digestive upset." Most food makes me hungrier than before I ate it. I know that doesn't make sense but it's true. Oats make me feel like I have the flu.

Some foods are ok -- like most fruit, most raw veggies, nuts and seeds. The last few days I've lived on organic apples, natural peanut butter, raw walnuts, and cabbage soup. I feel better than usual (even though the soup makes me want to take a nap).

And as you all probably know I can't deal with meat in general. I can eat eggs if I'm craving them; but if I eat them when I'm not then I get sick. I don't understand it; but it's consistent.

Thank you for your honest, if puzzling, answer. I've concluded that you are intolerant of food.

It puzzles me, too. It's very frustrating. I honestly wish I just never needed to eat. But what's weird is that my daughters are similar to me in that regard although not quite as extreme.

For detoxing, it is best to remember that Phase 2 requires amino acids. Without keeping up some protein intake, the nasties get detoxed right into the bloodstream, and do not actually leave the body. We do not want to just move the stuff around to different tissues, we want to encourage the nasties to leave, via the bowels, urine, and skin.

Veteran Member

Highlander, far be it from me to know what your particular situation is, but it sounds like you react unfavorably to starchy foods in general, especially nightshade veggies and grains. Have you considered getting allergy/gluten tested? Often an allergic reaction isn't immediate. This can make a person think the most recently eaten food is the culprit, when in fact it might have been something eaten a day ago.

Every spring I do a cleansing fast. The first three days are water only; but to avoid an electrolyte crash I put a small pinch of sea salt and a shot of lemon juice into my water. After this I'll do fresh juices for a couple of days (carrot and celery are favorites..maybe a little beet in there, too). The first time I drank beet juice (many years ago), I freaked out when my urine was red. (beet juice...duh!). The longest I've done this is 28 days; but I usually do it for 7 to 10 days. After this I feel light and energetic. I once knew someone who got very ill after doing this. They broke their cleansing fast by eating a half of a chocolate cake. Cleansing takes common sense and strong discipline.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovemywesties View Post
    Highlander, far be it from me to know what your particular situation is, but it sounds like you react unfavorably to starchy foods in general, especially nightshade veggies and grains. Have you considered getting allergy/gluten tested? Often an allergic reaction isn't immediate. This can make a person think the most recently eaten food is the culprit, when in fact it might have been something eaten a day ago.
    I don't seem to have any problems with eggplant, tomatoes, or sweet potatoes. I've kept notebooks full of food logs over the years. What a boring read. I haven't seriously considered testing. I can just imagine they'll say don't eat gluten (and this and that) and I'll say no kidding. Yeah, my body doesn't like starches which seems to include beans and peas. I honestly can't think of a single solid food that makes me feel better after I eat it. Homemade juices are the only thing that comes to mind. I feel the effect hours later. I think Islander is right.

Thread Information