Thread: Garlic Supplement Slows Cardiovascular Disease Progression

Default Garlic Supplement Slows Cardiovascular Disease Progression

Sayer Ji, Founder
    March 30, 2013

Given that cardiovascular disease is the #1 cause of death within industrialized societies, anything that can slow the underlying pathological process in its decades-long, mostly subclinical march towards heart attack, embolism or stroke, is worth considering as a prophylactic -- especially if it is as safe, accessible and affordable drug alternative.

Indeed, a new study published in the International Journal Cardiology indicates that aged garlic extract, in combination with vitamin B12, folic acid, vitamin B6 and arginine, is capable of favorably altering the ratio of brown to white adipose (fat) tissue surrounding the heart muscle, reducing homocysteine (a blood vessel damaging amino acid) and slowing the progression of coronary artery calcification in human subjects.[i]

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/res...m_medium=email

Default Re: Garlic Supplement Slows Cardiovascular Disease Progression

I wonder how it compares to eating fresh garlic? Or what the equivalent amount of garlic would be, compared to the extract?

@Julieanne: My understanding is that raw, crushed, organic garlic is the best. After crushing, it needs to sit about 10 minutes before consuming. The freeze dried are next best and standardized to a certain amount of allicin but the mg strength given is whole garlic. So, depending on your product you would have to figure out about how much allicin you are taking per tablet. A clove of garlic contains 5 to 12mg allicin.

Julieanne, garlic should still be crushed, even if to be consumed fresh and/or raw. Crushing causes a chemical compound reaction in the mixing of a protective agent alliin, and an enzyme called allinase, that free up the active molecular compounds such a the allicin that mellow mentions. Allicin then quickly decomposes into sulfides of diallyl and trisulfides, which is ultimately what you are after. It is actually a high speed fermentation event and it makes food taste great. Mellow, you are the first person I've seen that knows this chef's secret outside of la culinari. I think it would be a tough call comparing it to the extract though.
    Wow Reesa, is Sayer Ji not aware of the bad ju-ju of folic acid? We want only folate. I'll post an article.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Andrew Saul wrote for OMNS (Orthomolecular Medicine News Service) in the article Folic Acid Does Not Cause Cancer:

"But there is virtually no difference whatsoever between the two forms of this nutrient. Folate and folic acid are different only in whether the carboxylic acid groups have dissociated or not. Folic acid's molecular formula is C19, H19, N7, O6. Folate is C19, H18, N7, O6. The difference? Folate has one less hydrogen cation (H+). A hydrogen cation is a proton. A single proton. I have never seen evidence that protons cause cancer."

http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...ate+folic+acid

The problem with folic acid is long term consumption of high levels of it. Considering almost all processed foods are fortified with it, this is a problem for the majority of the population. I'm not sure I agree with Andrew Saul as folic acid MUST be metabolized in the liver into fo and requires the presence of a certain enzyme. Folate, from food is metabolized in the small intestine. This enzyme is present in very small amounts in the liver, thus leading to high levels of folic acid in the blood. This excess folic acid is known to stimulate cell growth which in turn could increase the chance of a precancer becoming cancer. There are many studies showing high folic acid levels in the blood seem to correlate with increased risk of breast, colon and prostate cancer and other studies that don't find a correlation unless the person is also a smoker. The other problem is that these high levels mask the very common B12 deficiency. In the elderly especially, this leads to a serious cognitive decline, usually written off as dementia. It is probably OK to have an intake of folic acid from all sources of no more than 400mcg/day. Food sources (and I don't mean processed foodstuffs with added folic acid) such as leafy green veggies are always preferable. Pregnant women need much higher intakes.

Dr Jonathan Wright has written extensively on the differences between folic acid (to be avoided) and folate. In my understanding, the L-5MTHF form of folate is best for supplementation.

Thank you all for that valuable additional information!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thank you Mellow and Maurya!

mellow and wr7476, I was aware of the allicin release after crushing. I once posted this info on JM's site and got negged - the guru said it must be consumed as soon as it's crushed!

Hi Julieanne. Did the "guru" say why? Personally, I would hope this is the case in cooked foods, as it would make it less tedious as I prepare a meal if I could cook it right away. I know I get negged on that site for really good posts. The culprits are too cowardly to post why they disagree, so I just keep on keeping on. I know in my heart that I am helping someone somewhere.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Quote Originally Posted by wr7476 View Post
    Hi Julieanne. Did the "guru" say why? Personally, I would hope this is the case in cooked foods, as it would make it less tedious as I prepare a meal if I could cook it right away.
    I could be wrong, but I don't wait when I use garlic in cooking because heat destroys much of the allicin. The change in taste from raw to cooked is because of the loss of the allicin. I think a lot of the other healthful compounds survive cooking though.

Thread Information