Thread: Omega-3 Fatty Acids as Biomarkers

Default Omega-3 Fatty Acids as Biomarkers

Plasma Levels Predict Mortality, CV Events in CHS Analysis
    Steve Stiles
    3 April 2013

The highest levels of plasma phospholipid omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), as measured in >2500 older adults initially without coronary heart disease or a history of stroke, predicted the lowest mortality in the observational, prospective Cardiovascular Health Study (CHS)[1].
    Read more: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/781894

Default Re: Omega-3 Fatty Acids as Biomarkers

And lately, I've seen articles saying no benefit to taking fish oil...yeah right! Further on in the article, it says that DHA has a stronger correlation than EPA to decreased risk but it is "wise to take both". If your doctors start recommending prescription Omega 3s, beware that last year the US approved a prescription SYNTHETIC EPA only drug called Vascepa. Lovaza, while highly processed, purified and concentrated at least has its origins in fish oil. The cost of either of these is of course, outrageous and what's worse is drug plans will pay thousands and thousands for these drugs but won't cover fish oil :(
    Last edited by Islander; 04-05-13 at 11:14 PM.

Once again I'm confused. Stoneharbor is the expert on oils, he'd sort this out... I was under the impression that PUFAs included the vegetable oils, which were directly implicated in CHD (excepting olive oil, which is monounsaturated?). I have a DHA/EPA supplement but take it rarely, on the assumption that I get all the essential fatty acids I need from my diet. I confess to taking a T. or more of coconut oil daily though.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yes, Omega 3s (and 6's and 9's) are PUFAs. The bad veggie oils are mostly Omega 6. Canola has a good Omega 3/6 ratio but there are other problems with it. PUFAs in and of themselves are not bad. If you are consuming food, you are consuming PUFA. Yes, meat has varying amounts of PUFAs although all you ever hear about is the saturated fat. A diet with a preponderance of (added) PUFAs is proinflammatory but if you keep a ratio of 1:1 (and some sources say up to 1:4) Omega 3 to Omega 6, then PUFAs aren't a problem as long as they come from the right source. Fish oil is highly anti-inflammatory.

The average diet today provides a ratio of 1:15 to 1:20 which is where the problem lies. Your body and brain cannot function without DHA/EPA and other "essential fatty acids". Gamma linoleic acid, an Omega 6 is anti-inflammatory. Olive oil, avocado oil and macadamia nut oil are high in monounsaturated fats but they also contain some PUFAs, yet they are not culprits in heart disease. Although the benefits of coconut oil are immense, they do not provide DHA/EPA and your body cannot make them from coconut oil.

Omega-3 fatty acids are a group of polyunsaturated fatty acids that are important for a number of funtions in the body. This nutrient can help us to prevent heart diseases. Omega-3 is found plentifully in seafoods. But for those who have an allergic reaction to seafoods, you can replace by wheat germ.
    Read more: https://nccih.nih.gov/health/tips/omega
    https://wikihomenutrition.com/wheat-...alth-benefits/

Thread Information