Thread: Great BooK: Your Body's Many Cries For Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj

Default Great BooK: Your Body's Many Cries For Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj

I have just finished reading Dr. Batmanghelidj’s excellent book Your Body’s Many Cries For Water.
    In it he presents his research and experience for treating many health issues with just plain water.

Some background:

Dr. Batmanghelidj was born in Iran in 1931 and went to medical school in London. After getting his MD he returned to Iran and was building a family medical charity center when the 1979 revolution hit and he was imprisoned.
    About to be executed, they let him live to treat the medical problems of other prisoners.

While in the Iranian jail Dr. Batmanghelidj had a peptic ulcer patient with extremely severe abdominal pain. Having nothing except water to treat patients with, he gave the peptic ulcer patient 2 glasses of water and within 8 minutes the pain disappeared. For the next 25 months Dr. Batmanghelidj did research on how water could treat stress and stress-related disease conditions as the prison was the ideal stress laboratory.

In 1982 he was released from prison, escaped to the United States and continued his research into how water can treat disease.

The book:

I found the book fascinating — the depth of knowledge of anatomy and physiology applied to understanding how water or the lack there of affects the body was impressive.
    Dr. Batmanghelidj presents a paradigm shift in the way he looks at what water does for the body and what happens when there isn’t enough.

According to Dr. Batmanghelidj as we age we lose the thirst sensation and become gradually increasingly dehydrated (a dry mouth is the very last sign of dehydration). A shortage of water will manifest itself in the body with symptoms that conventional medicine labels as signs of disease instead of dehydration such as allergies, asthma, and chronic pain (rheumatoid arthritis, indigestion, angina pain, low back pain and migraine headaches).

Some interesting and practical ideas from the book:

1. The brain will send a hunger signal along with a thirst signal simultaneously. If your thirst sensation has deteriorated, you will just feel the hunger sensation and eat. This gets worse with age. If hungry, drink a glass or two of water and wait 20 minutes to see if you really are hungry. You can also put a pinch of sea salt on your tongue if just plain water doesn’t satisfy the hunger.

2. At the cellular level, the flow of water across the cell membrane generates hydroelectric energy (voltage) that the cell uses to make ATP and GTP — chemical sources of energy. When tired, drink a glass or two of water to help with fatigue.

3. To help with insomnia, drink a glass of water and put a pinch of sea salt on the tongue. According to Dr. Batmanghelidj this alters the electrical discharge pattern in the brain and induces sleep. ( I have been doing this on and off the last week and I think it helps!)

4. To help with an asthma attack, drink a glass of water and put a pinch of sea salt on the tongue. This sends a signal to the brain to relax the bronchioles and the salt also thins mucus and is a natural antihistamine.

Default Re: Great BooK: Your Body's Many Cries For Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj

Thanks, Reesacat. I've seen many mentions of this book... I just got up and poured myself a cup of water!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Great BooK: Your Body's Many Cries For Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj

Problem is, if I drink a glass of water before bed I know I will wake up during the night. Then I find it hard to go back to sleep. Maybe just the salt?

The dilemma for me always is if I realize that I have had too little water during the course of the day (as I did yesterday), I try to make up for it late in the evening. If I drink lots of water in the evening, I will be up several times going to the bathroom; if I don't try to make up for the water deficiency by the evening, I am likely to be up in the night anyway, coping with cramps in the legs and feet.

No substitute for doing the right things at the right time.

Veteran Member

I hear you, Maurya. I often get thirsty in the evening, and figure it's because I didn't drink enough water during the day. I do go ahead and drink a small cup anyway, because, as you said, if I don't, it will either disrupt my sleep or hinder my going to sleep anyway. I really need to get it together to drink enough water during the day. (I do usually drink almost a third of a liter when I first wake up, but sometimes not much more, in the form of just water, til I realize I'm thirsty near bedtime.)

Thread Information