Thread: Health Risks from Dental Sealants

Default Health Risks from Dental Sealants

From the Office of Gary M. Verigin, DDS, CTN – Integrative, Biological Dentistry
    Posted on October 31, 2008

A sealant is basically a protective covering on the teeth. It’s made of a resin material, similar to composite (the stuff used to make “white” fillings), which is placed directly on the molars and allowed to seep into the crevices. A curing light is then used to harden the material (a process called polymerization), creating a protective barrier against decay. While this may sound good in principle, there are problems that make this a less than ideal treatment.
    First, a number of sealants contain BPA, a known endocrine disruptor.

Read more: http://drvee.wordpress.com/2008/10/31/dental-sealants/

Default Re: Health Risks from Dental Sealants

I knew dental sealants were not a good thing, but thanks to this article I now know why. Thank you Aaltrude!

So I have a sensitive tooth (exposed tooth root from gum recession) due to be covered with composite (I think, maybe the dentist was actually planning to use a sealant) plus a cavity due to be filled with a composite filling. I don't really want an amalgam filling as they make electrical shock pains (in my mouth).......but the dentist assistant read the ingredients in the amalgam and she said it has so little mercury these days that it isn't a problem............so which toxin is the least harmful? the BPA in composite/sealant, or the mercury etc in the amalgam. If I choose neither, how can I prevent the cavity from worsening? Have the tooth crowned? I just don't know what to do or what other alternatives there might be.
    thanks,
    sollyb

As far as I know, mercury is toxic in the body, in any amount. There are many different types of composite materials used in fillings, some without BPA. A good competent dentist would be willing to test for biocompatibility, and then to use the best composite material for the individual patient.

@sollyb: I agree with Maurya that ANY mercury is toxic. Last summer, I really had to argue with the doc on replacing the filling with composite vs amalgam. There is NOT biologic dentist anywhere within even 4 hours and this was an emergency. I had no choice on what composite but I knew, even with small amounts of BPA that was better than mercury. The amalgam I had removed was about 45 years old yet apparently, there was still enough mercury in it to cause me problems (doc did not know about, nor use any precautions). I realize you don't have a lot of choices and I really doubt there's a biologic dentist near you, so I'd still go with composite. I would have preferred porcelain but he didn't have that plus the expense. Don't buy into the "so little mercury". That s propaganda pure, plain and simple. Today's amalgams are still almost 50% mercury!

Thank you! Was this in response to the question I asked on FB?

I have canceled the appointment, BTW.

Yes it was Sam.

I feel the benefit will negate the risk. To me better to protect the molars, than have amalagam filling, replaced with composite filling, then crowned or pulled -Of course prevention best!
    Does anyone have recommendation for crown material?

Good point Good-day. Preventing is the way to go. It is more conservative and costs less. If treatment is needed, then go with the options you mentioned, as needed. If in the end nothing else can be done for the tooth, have it extracted and replaced by a dental implant. They are well documented, scientifically based options. The benefit of them outweighs any risks, when the right materials are utilized. If your crown is needed on a first molar or anywhere in between, go with an Emax crown. They are very strong and really good looking. For second molars, go with a Bruxzir crown. They are both all porcelain options. Rest assure, they are really, really strong crowns. Especially the Bruxzir. However, I would not recommend this last one on the front areas. They are less translucent, rendering a less attractive restoration.
    Last edited by Islander; 08-07-13 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks for info boluno. I spoke unfortunately from eventual loss of molar because no other option was mentioned. What kind of implant, if any do you recommend and why?
    Last edited by Good-day; 08-06-13 at 10:38 PM.

I am sorry to hear that. All dental implants are made of Titanium. This material is highly bio compatible. Once the implant is placed in the bone, bone cells start surrounding it and fusing to it. This is called osseointegration. The process takes approximately three months. After that, you can have your implant crown made. There is some research going on involving all porcelain implants, however, it is too soon for me to recommend them as a main option.
    Last edited by Islander; 08-07-13 at 08:59 AM.

Thread Information