Thread: Best Kept Secrets to Prevent, Halt, or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

Default Best Kept Secrets to Prevent, Halt, or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

Written By: Katherine Carroll, NTP
    April 15th 2013

ARMD is the leading cause of blindness in elderly Western populations and it is marked by central vision loss where blind spots or scotomas intrude. Threading a needle and passing the driver's licensing test eventually become impossible but ARMD is preventable – even reversible to some degree with the diligent, intelligently targeted efforts we have put into practice in our clinics to increase the chances of success.

Read more: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/bes...r-degeneration

Default Re: Best Kept Secrets to Prevent, Halt, or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

That was fascinating that they found bile salts aiding digestion and fat absorption helped get the fat-soluble lutein and zeaxanthin to the macula. Thank you Aaltrude for a great article!

Default Re: Best Kept Secrets to Prevent, Halt, or Even Reverse Macular Degeneration

I would love to pass this on to my institutionalized friend with macular degenation but it is not possible for her to benefit from it. The diet in this facility is shameful (sugar salt fat, empty calories) and she doesn't have enough spending money to buy the recommended supplements.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I need to save and go through this article thoroughly. My sore, itchy eyes have been driving me nuts lately. I have some homeopathic drops which usualy help, but aren't helping now. Looks like some fermented food might help?

Sounds like allergy symptoms, Julie. Is there pollen in the air?

Not really Islander, it's autumn here, and damp weather. I have some allergy drops (not homeopathic) which only seem to work when it is an allergy. They sting a lttle, them I get relief. Not happening ATM. So I have been wondering what else might be the problem. I'm not a person who has allergies usually.

Veteran Member

Am I the only one who couldn't read the article because of a "Share with your Friends" popup that I couldn't get rid of?

You seem to be the only one who mentioned it, LMW. I just clicked the link again and had no problem. Does your browser have a pop-up blocker? Those annoying boxes usually have an x you can click to close them, too.

I often see those pop ups on GreenMedInfo Julieanne though not on this article, but they always have a little "x" to close it.

Very interesting article. So, it seems HDL cholesterol is key to getting fats to the macula. The critical bile salts are made from cholesterol. I really like the sensible suggestions for raising HDL levels.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 04-17-13 at 07:26 PM.

Veteran Member

I tried again later and was able to get into the article.

It is a interesting approach to ARMD and one that makes good sense. I have also read that a combo of 20 mg. CoQ10, 200 mg. of acetyl-l-carnitine, and 760 mg. of omega-3 fatty acids can effectively halt and even reverse ARMD. I don't know how crucial the dosages are, but you can probably come pretty close. Keeping vitamin D optimized is almost certainly a good idea as well, since low D can affect every aspect of the body.

My mother had ARMD, which is often hereditary; therefore, effective treatments are always of interest to me. To my knowledge, she did not supplement at all, and she ate a diet that was quite high in grain products and sugar. She also had a problem with IBS, which can play hell with the health of the gut.
    Last edited by Lovemywesties; 04-17-13 at 11:23 AM.

Thread Information