Thread: Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Police

Default Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Police

Sarah Carlson
    April 05, 2013

Hundreds of poor people waiting outside of a closed grocery store for the possibility of getting the remaining food is not the picture of the “American Dream.” Yet on March 23, outside the Laney Walker Supermarket in Augusta, Ga., that is exactly what happened.

Residents filled the parking lot with bags and baskets hoping to get some of the baby food, canned goods, noodles and other non-perishables. But a local church never came to pick up the food, as the storeowner prior to the eviction said they had arranged. By the time the people showed up for the food, what was left inside the premises—as with any eviction—came into the ownership of the property holder, SunTrust Bank.

Read more: http://www.globalresearch.ca/america...police/5329966
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Polic

Every night at Whole Foods, they throw out into the trash, prepared food that goes unused. One evening, I asked an employee (it was around 9:30, and they close at 10), "You guys have a lot of roasters that you surely won't sell in a 1/2 hour; do you donate the food?" "Unfortunately, we can't; the department of health strictly forbids it."

Default Re: Food loaded into Dumpsters while Hundreds of Hungry Americans Restrained by Polic

The documentary Dive explores this in detail. It's criminal IMO.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

You gave me an idea Sam. I'm going to ask if Cid's, my local health food store, would sell to me any leftover food at a discount. This would relieve them of any "health whoever ******" liability. Then I can give it to those in need.
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

If all of this colossal waste can continue to be concealed from general public knowledge, then it should be much easier to manipulate opinions into believing that practices such as GMO foods, CAFO meats, etc. truly are necessary to feed the starving people of the world. Clever multi-pronged ploy, eh?

Veteran Member

Samurai is right about the health department regulations. I was at Panera one morning to buy some bread (when I still ate bread products). They were getting ready to throw out a batch of their little breakfast quiches. I said I would take some of them if they were just going to dispose of them. I was told they couldn't sell or give them away after a certain point because of health department laws. So into the bin they went.

Such laws seem a little extreme at times, but I can understand the reason for them. Not only that, there are liability laws in our lawsuit-happy society that serve to protect the sellers of perishable goods. Unfortunately, these same laws make it less than simple to donate excess food products to the poor and hungry.

Similiar laws in Australia mean I can't take home a 'doggy bag' from a restaurant.

Knowing that people anywhere are hungry....breaks my heart!! After learning of a huge unmet need by a local food bank, I began to donate regularly. The food bank has seen an increase in working people who are in need of food. Also, the people who brought us the movie, Food, Inc. has created a documentary on hunger in America. It is entitled, "A Place At The Table." I have not seen it yet, but I understand it is now available in some theatres, on ITunes, and on demand cable TV. According to the documentary, some 50 million people in America are "food insecure." Sadly, some 16 million are children.
    Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 04-18-13 at 08:26 PM.

Astounding.
    Maurya, that's a good point.

Thread Information