Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Bronner's Soaps

Veteran Member

Default Re: Dr. Bronner's Soaps

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I didn't know what you do for a living. Others here have clients, and given the variety of members here, their clients could be patients, professionals, or who knows what. I was just exercising my curiosity muscle...and now that I know, I give you fair dues for patience!
    Not only for patience, Ocean--I'd throw sheer stamina in there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    I order the KMFace for my face (it lasts a looong time) and Dr. B's baby castille soap for hair and shower (not hands at the sink, though) when a friend or relative is going to the U.S. or coming from there, and they bring it to me.
    Where do you live, PP? Have you ever tried making your own soap? I haven't done it for a while because I'm still working my way through all the free "mistakes" that some soapmaker friends made. Really, soap requires only 2 ingredients: fat and lye. I used pork fat or beef tallow because it was what I had handy, along with a can of Red Devil lye. There are instructions on line. Some add essential oils for fragrance but I happen to like the natural scent of real soap. Sometimes I throw some oatmeal in before it hardens, to make it "scrubby." I've also heard of using coffee grounds, which do the same thing and add a nice scent to the morning shower. Homemade soap is long-lasting too.

oceanforkids

Quote Originally Posted by Pattypans View Post
    Not only for patience, Ocean--I'd throw sheer stamina in there too!
    My stamina comes solely from being a Swede who is even more stubborn than her German/Russian husband! Been in the day care business for a looooong time. Started with toddlers, now doing only at-risk infants. In October of this year it will be 22 years, plus raising my own three. My oldest will be 36 this year.

I could write a book about the perils of dealing with the parents, but all of my day care kiddo's were angels! It does get a bit more challenging every year, however.

oceanforkids

Have you ever tried making your own soap? I haven't done it for a while because I'm still working my way through all the free "mistakes" that some soapmaker friends made. Really, soap requires only 2 ingredients: fat and lye. I used pork fat or beef tallow because it was what I had handy, along with a can of Red Devil lye. There are instructions on line. Some add essential oils for fragrance but I happen to like the natural scent of real soap. Sometimes I throw some oatmeal in before it hardens, to make it "scrubby." I've also heard of using coffee grounds, which do the same thing and add a nice scent to the morning shower. Homemade soap is long-lasting too.
    Never made my own soap but I have used some excellent soaps made with tallow or lard, lye and lemon oil. Called Grandma's Old-fashioned Kettle Soap and it's a huge hunk of stuff. It's gotten rather expensive since her web site became popular though. http://www.daybreaklavenderfarm.com/...606-c-337.html

She has some very nice things but as I said, it's gotten slightly out of hand spendy. (Jody is the owner of Daybreak, which is the only recognized totally organic lavender farm in Ohio or something like that. She also had gastric by-pass and so did her daughter. They fully bought into the whole medical sales pitch).

I just got a coconut oil soap from Tropical Traditons-it's just saponified coconut oil.
    Very creamy. Will let y'all know how it does. I usually use the Kiss My Face olive oil soap.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by oceanforkids View Post
    I could write a book about the perils of dealing with the parents, but all of my day care kiddo's were angels! It does get a bit more challenging every year, however.
    Ocean, maybe you should write that book. It would give you a break from the rigors of your profession. Including the parents.

Veteran Member

Islander, one of the things I heartily admire about you is the plethora of practical (and difficult) things you not only know how to do, but actually do. Every time I've checked out a recipe for homemade soap, it's seemed fraught with danger and difficulty. Danger about the lye, and if you don't get this or that exactly right, it won't work, etc. So I've never tried it. I live in Brazil. Near the beach. It's lovely. (I live in a very small apartment, but I'm not complaining!)

Islander is amazing-I want to be like her when I grow up!

I always wanted to be just like Islander when I grow up. I suppose that means that I am not grown up yet!

I'm STILL not sure what I want to be when I grow up!

Pattypans, you just added another continent to our member collection! How did you hear about us? Are you another mercola refugee whose screen name I've forgotten?

Veteran Member

You haven't forgotten it, Islander; I just have a different one there. I've never mentioned there where I live. I'm not Brazilian, though, but American.

Funny thing about saying you're American: When I lived in Colombia (and no, I was not doing what you probably think of first when you think of Colombia) many years ago, at first when people asked me my nationality, I'd say American. Then, with dignity and respect, most people would respond, "American? We are all American. You must mean North American."

In saying "all", they were referring to people from South America and North America. Makes perfect sense. I've never had other South Americans feel so strongly about it, though. Anyway, I quickly learned to say North American when asked my nationality and still do to this day. It only seems fair and accurate.

So, do we still get to count the added continent?

PattyPans, you must be from Mercola. You seem so familiar to me, I thought you were a long time poster on this site. As for the beach in Brazil, I wouldn't complain either lol. Islander maybe you should teach classes or something on how to do all this nearly forgotten self sufficient stuff you know how to do.

Yes, Pattypans, if you live there, we count it! And aren't you going to reveal your other identity? C'mon, pleeeeeze?

No one 'round these parts is interested, it seems. There's a group in a town 30 minutes away that is focused on energy conservation/alternate energy and is encouraging some of the old skills, like gardens and backyard hens, and I volunteered to be a garden mentor to first-timers. But no one seems to want to learn how to tap trees, or make soap, or milk a cow, or cure hams & bacon, or shear a sheep...I hate the idea that all this knowledge will die with me. Wish I knew how to share it.........

But no one seems to want to learn how to tap trees
    But if they don't tap the trees, won't they just EXPLODE?

Maurya, you want the ROFLCOPTER again?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information