Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Bronner's Soaps

Bridestein

Question Dr. Bronner's Soaps

I noticed that Mike Adams was praising Dr. Bronner's soaps in his newsletter yesterday. I was surprised as they had stung my hands horribly and I had come to the conclusion that they weren't what they portrayed themselves to be. I don't have this reaction when I use the handmade soaps I bought at the local crafts fair. I was just wondering if any of you all had any experience with them.
    Here are the ingredients listed:
    Water, Saponified Organic Coconut & Olive oils (w/ retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Natural Bitter Almond Fragrance, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Re: Dr. Bronner's Soaps

Quote Originally Posted by Bridestein
    I noticed that Mike Adams was praising Dr. Bronner's soaps in his newsletter yesterday. . . I was just wondering if any of you all had any experience with them.
    When i first began trying "healthy" alternatives, i tried Dr. Bronner's. Using it for the shower made me itch after a while. It isn't good as a shampoo. Trying to use it to clean didn't work so well as it left soap spots. It didn't work to do the dishes. I tried the unscentd/mild/baby, the almond, the peppermint, & the tea tree. I still have some left. I rarely use it, but i do use it as a hand wash on occasion. I moved on to other things.

kurtis1

I have tried bonner and I feel this soap is overrated. not sure about Mike Admas either.

I have recently started using this soap as a liquid hand soap. As suggested by Reesacat, I am diluting it one part soap to two parts water for use in a pump dispenser. For this use I am finding it excellent. It leaves my hands feeling very soft with no need to use a moisteriser afterwards. I did try using it as a shampoo and was not very impressed. The natural super fatted soap my husband makes makes a much better job of washing hair. I also use my husband's soap in the shower but had been looking for a liquid soap for hand washing as the cakes of soap do make rather a mess when left wet by the hand basin. The diluted Dr Bronner's soap is solving this problem.

oceanforkids

I really like Dr. Bronner's for cleaning. I use the lavender in my bathroom and it smells so clean. One thing I've learned is that it truly doesn't take much of this soap or it will leave a residue. About 1/2 tsp to a 1/2 gallon pail about 3/4's full of water is all. I use the Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds for the tub, sinks and toilet. It smells heavenly (pine/fir/balsamy).

Have never used any of them for bathing, only for hands at the kitchen sink. I find a used pump-type thingy and make a 3/4 water and 1/4 Bronner's mix.

We installed hardwood floors in 2007 and I use only water and essential oils to clean that. Does a wonderful job, plus lots of the essential oils provide antibacterial cleaning without overdoing. I also use a dash of clove oil or allspice for the scent. I can't stand the smell of tea tree oil and I'm not big on eucalyptus smell either, but they are good cleaners so I mix 'em up with other scents. No rinsing. Every Monday morning when my clients come, they are anxious to "smell and sniff" to see if they can identify what oils I used!! It's become a game with them.

Tell about your clients?

Dr. Bronner's soap + baking soda makes great cleaning paste and good for stainless steel pots/glass bakewre.

I love microfiber cloths and mop! I'll run a dozen through the rinsed cycle and have perfect damp cloth to dust/clean with.
    Dip into vinegar water and wring out to scrub kitchen and bath.

I bought a dozen microfiber cloths just to use as washcloths-takes off make-up with just water.

I use old t-shirts for cleaning, and I don't wear make-up, but still, I want to know: what are microfiber cloths?

They are a sort of synthetic fiber woven with fibers less than 1.0 denier. They are woven into very tiny hooks and loops that trap dirt and dust and scrub also-so you can clean with just water.

One company website:
    http://starfibers.com/microfiber.php

Thanks. Can you get them retail?

I can't stand the feel of micro fibre cloths against my skin. I'll stick with the cotton cloths I am currently using.

oceanforkids

Islander, what do you want to know about my clients? They are the parents of my day care infants and therefore are in and out of my house twice daily.

Aaltrude, I'm with you about the microfiber. My hands are rough from being in the water a lot (changing poopy diapers and all, ya know!) and the microfiber sticks to my fingers. I use old socks to dust with, old underwear, t-shirts, cloth diapers, flannel jammies and receiving blankets to clean with.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanforkids View Post
    Islander, what do you want to know about my clients? They are the parents of my day care infants and therefore are in and out of my house twice daily.
    I didn't know what you do for a living. Others here have clients, and given the variety of members here, their clients could be patients, professionals, or who knows what. I was just exercising my curiosity muscle...and now that I know, I give you fair dues for patience!

Veteran Member

Islander, I don't use makeup either. Sometimes my daughter-in-law's side of the family and their friends try vigorously to persuade me to do so, and also to dye my hair. My hair is light brown with natural lighter highlights, and a grey streak I've had since I was thirty or longer (which is so strategically placed that some women think I had it done); just recently some grey has shown up on the other side. But even if I had a worse scenario on my head, I wouldn't dye my hair. You should have seen the last time they ganged up on me, at my son's birthday barbecue! Strangely enough, the only person who agreed with me (out loud anyway) was one very flighty, seemingly superficial young woman.

Sorry about the digression--leave it to me to get off the subject...

About Dr. Bronner's: The lowest EWG score any Dr. B soaps get is a 1; some are higher. There's a bar soap with a 0 rating (the best rating possible) called Kiss My Face pure olive oil soap that has only 3 ingredients, supposedly: Saponified olive oil, water, and sodium chloride. I don't know if it uses other ingredients to saponify the olive oil (is it possible not to?), but I know I like the soap. I only use it on my face, though.
    I wish I could get a pure soap locally, but I've never found one. So I order the KMFace for my face (it lasts a looong time) and Dr. B's baby castille soap for hair and shower (not hands at the sink, though) when a friend or relative is going to the U.S. or coming from there, and they bring it to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information