Thread: NO-POO for healthy hair... try this beaut' wee tip!

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

Default NO-POO for healthy hair... try this beaut' wee tip!

Not even kidding (sorry Islander if the title of the thread is a pain!).

Seriously though... girls, chuck out your shampoo. Chuck out your conditioner. I don't care how natural it is, you don't need it.

Next time you wash your hair, take a handful of baking soda and rub it into your hair. Let it sit for a minute or so, then rinse it all out.

Next, grab a little bit of ACV in a cup of warm water and rinse that through your hair.

Then rinse that out with water, and wait and see what happens.

My whole life, my hair has been so hard to deal with - there's soooo much of it but it's so fine and blonde it turns into a disgusting greasy mop by the end of each day. I've been shampooing daily for years but nothing works, it's always greasy, and the more I wash it the worse it gets.

Going 'no-poo' is really hard at first as the sebum levels in your scalp will go crazy until they balance out, so most people find that it takes weeks before things balance out and their hair gets nice again - this is a good way to skip all the nonsense. Seriously, my hair is SHINING with life, my scalp has stopped itching and getting irritated, I've got all these blonde highlights showing up, NO FRIZZ at all (even when it's humid and windy), and even my man came home before and commented on how pretty it was looking.

Win!!

So there ya go - who'd have thought the answer to beautiful hair wasn't in a bottle of chemicals nonsense but lurking in the cupboard. Is there anything baking soda and ACV can't do?!

This might be old news to some of you but I'm pretty stoked...

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Re: NO-POO for healthy hair... try this beaut' wee tip!

I know folks who swear by this, and it works well for them.

I have tried it a couple of different times with varying amounts of baking soda. It made my hair gritty and difficult to brush, and i ended up with baking soda in the brush. I know this sounds like i used too much (and i did use too much early on), but this happened even when i was only using a very small amount.

My hair falls nearly to my waist, and i guess even with the vinegar it was too difficult to rinse out. And using the vinegar frequently was too harsh.

I'm glad it works for you, tho, Izzy. I frequently suggest folks try it if they are open to alternatives.

I too have tried this without success. It leaves my hair extremely dry. I also know people though who have great results with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    [SIZE="3"] And using the vinegar frequently was too harsh.
    I also found that using a vinegar rinse left my hair extremely dry and brittle. Initially using it gave me soft shiny hair but it was the continual use every time I washed my hair that did the damage.
    Last edited by Islander; 04-23-13 at 03:13 PM.

Aotearoa - Land of erm... sheep and clouds and grumpy volcanoes

You need to rinse the baking soda out really well - I struggle to rinse out shampoos but this just washes out, which is good (my hair's halfway down my back and really thick, even though the strands themselves are fine).

The trick is use baking soda, THEN vinegar, then rinse well - either one on its own will dry the hair out, but because one's a base and one's an acid they balance each other out and end up leaving the hair in a good state [from what I've read and experienced anyway]. Both things on their own have left my hair dry, but doing them one after the other leaves it beautiful.

Otherwise, I know people who just use the baking soda as a shampoo and still use conditioner on the lengths once or twice a week, which is the other way around dry hair.

I have used the no-poo just as DizzyIzzy says to do off and on for years. When I am having a flare of scalp itching and formication (I have chronic urticarial), it is the only thing that doesn't increase the itching. However, it does leave my hair dry and brittle. I've never had any residue of the baking soda though, but my hair isn't that long.
    I can't use any cream rinses, so even when using a shampoo I rinse with well-diluted ACV. ATM, I am letting my hair grow out from what amounted to almost a buzz cut, keeping it extremely short was the only way I could deal with my scalp itching and crawling. No way to apply cromolyn cream and actually get it into the scalp with hair that isn't ultra short, LOL.
    sollyb

Too drying for me too. However, nightly application of a little bit of oil (whichever one I have on hand - coconut, almond, sesame) makes my hair look more conditioned.

I am also moving from daily shampoo (yes, I know), to every other day with just wash and condition. Seems to do me good

Thread Information