Thread: The Squatty Potty makes me feel skinny

Default The Squatty Potty makes me feel skinny

Chaya Goodman Kurtz
    Thu, Oct 25 2012

When a company's goal is 'to change the way we poop, one 'stool' at a time,' you just have to check it out.

About a month ago, I blogged about the Squatty Potty. I came across it online, and it looked like a good idea. I wondered if I could DIY something similar. Much to my delight, the creator of the Squatty Potty saw my blog post, and offered to send me a sample unit to test.

The model that I tested is the 9 inch tall Squatty Tao Bamboo. They also make plastic and MDF versions. I chose the bamboo version because it is so very aesthetically pleasing. To me, it looks like one of those fancy meditation stools that you see at retreat centers.

Read more, get the link: http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-we...me-feel-skinny
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: The Squatty Potty makes me feel skinny

If anyone buys one let us know how it goes.

I also wrote a blog post about the squatty potty - a year or so ago!

The Squatty Potty – new and innovative but of course, at the same time, as old as the hills.

Other problems that squatting instead of sitting can resolve include:

- Protecting the nerves that control the prostate, bladder and uterus from becoming stretched and damaged.
    - Securely sealing the ileocecal valve which is between the colon and the small intestine. In the conventional sitting position, this valve is unsupported and often leaks during a bowel movement, perhaps contaminating the small intestine.
    - Relaxing the puborectalis muscle which normally chokes the rectum in order to maintain continence.
    - Using the thighs to support the colon and prevent straining. Chronic straining on the toilet can cause such problems as hernias or pelvic organ prolapse.
    - Providing a highly effective, non-invasive treatment for hemorrhoids.
    - Avoiding pressure on the uterus in pregnant women when using the toilet. In addition, daily squatting helps prepare the mother-to-be for a more natural delivery.
    - Avoiding constipation by allowing complete elimination during a bowel movement. Unfortunately, constipation is a common problem in the western world due to an often unsuitable diet lower in fiber, too little exercise and other poor lifestyle choices. Constipation is the primary cause of hemorrhoids and/or anal fissures which can be very painful conditions with considerable discomfort.
    - Eliminating completely can maintain good colon health because many studies have pointed to fecal buildup in the colon as a cause of diseases including colon cancer. Such build up also means that we do not absorb all the nutrients from the food we eat.
    - Supporting the female pelvic organs which straining on a toilet can cause to prolapse or slip out of place. The “sitting” position causes a great amount of pressure on the anorectic angle of the colon so that the lower part of the colon can drop and protrude into the wall of the vagina. Pelvic floor nerves can be protected by squatting for bowel elimination. Men can also suffer from pelvic floor disorders.

I wrote it partly for the many people who come to the Healing Natural Oils site looking for natural remedies for hemorrhoids and anal fissures.

http://www.amoils.com/health-blog/sq...ural-function/

Jane, I thought of you the minute I saw that item! I was ready to buy the bamboo model as soon as my budget recovers from the triple whammy of the Cuba trip, the March plumbing adventure and the April plumbing sequel. But I have a curved wooden step stool that's just the right height and when I tried it, I thought it would do nicely.

This might be a really weird question but do other people actually sit up straight on a toilet? I instinctively lean way over -- elbows on knees, head hanging.

I used to lean forward too. Some fixtures (I guess for the handicapped) are rather high and I feel uncomfortable even to pee. The stool is a good indoor solution but the most natural position for me is squatting over a 5-gal. bucket, which I have had to do many many times when pipelines were frozen or some other problem made use of the toilet impossible. It's the next best thing to squatting over a hole in the ground, which I am unwilling to dig.........

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

My ILs have remodeled every bathroom and recently put in a very high toilet in the bath we generally use. It now matches all the others. I complained to Duane that "my toes don't touch the floor" - which i find isn't accurate, but i feel as if i'm hanging high on the wall!

My FIL, who is quite short, thinks them "elegant" or something, i guess. No point in discussing the reality with him.

I've had to really, really back off on discussing healthy living with them. I was working not to come on too strong, but i must have, somehow. If i've suggested something to them, they do the opposite.

As I recently have replaced a toilet (the old one was a water hog, and was leaking, as well), I have had occasion to look at a whole bunch of toilets in various home improvement stores. This "higher toilet" phenomenon seems to me to be part of the general disabling of the population. It is becoming quite acceptable to have all home fixtures be accessible for people who are obese or are otherwise unable to move their bodies normally. While I do believe that having fixtures accessible for actual disabled people is essential, of course, the assumption seems to be that everybody soon will be in need of these, so why not just get it over with, accept it, and ensure our own disability ahead of time.
    Last edited by Maurya; 05-04-13 at 03:39 PM.

How dreary!

Quote Originally Posted by Maurya View Post
    This "higher toilet" phenomenon seems to me to be part of the general disabling of the population.
    They took "porcelain throne" literally, I guess.

LOL @ Highlander!

Well, I for one appreciate the higher toilets, lol. Consider the shape of my knees, hips and back, getting up from a lower toilet is rather difficult and painful.

When I broke my pinky toe on my right foot I was very grateful for any higher toilet. Every time I had to get up from a lower toilet I became keenly aware of the purpose of my pinky toe. Ouch.

I wish I could still squat. It's the most comfortable position for working on anything outdoors, or even inside, like cleaning out the stove in the study and laying a fire. Like Patty, my knees are past it now. No problem doing stairs, but crouching or squatting, well, they just won't bend that way any more!

Thread Information