Thread: The Bitter Truth About Splenda

Default The Bitter Truth About Splenda

Sayer Ji, Founder
    Wednesday, January 18th 2012

If you were told to ingest a biologically alien synthetic chemical whose presence on this planet did not predate 1976, and whose structure is only a few atoms away from the deadly pesticide DDT, and you knew that not only were there no long term human safety studies performed on it, but that it had been already proven in tests to have following adverse health effects:

· Shrunken thymus glands (up to 40% shrinkage)
    · Enlarged liver and kidneys.
    · Abnormal histopathological changes in spleen and thymus
    · Increased cecal weight
    · Reduced growth rate
    · DNA Damage

There's more here: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/bit...-about-splenda
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Re: The Bitter Truth About Splenda

So, what is the implication behind this statement:

The makers of sucralose/Splenda argue that this "remarkably stable" chemical passes unchanged into the urine and feces, when in fact, up to 11% to 27% is absorbed into the body (FDA, 1999). In fact, the varying degrees to which sucralose is absorbed is used as a marker for gut and intestinal permeability to determine certain disease states.
    I've had Splenda only 4 times, all by accident. It had been nearly 5 years since i'd last had it when i got toxed again about 2 weeks ago. I was very ill with a remarkably small amount of the stuff. Does that indicate "gut and intestinal permeability" and if so, what diseases are related?

NOT that i'm looking for things to go wrong, rather, what would i need to supplement with food or other supplements to strengthen that weakness and be preventative with possible future problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Katee View Post
    I was very ill with a remarkably small amount of the stuff. Does that indicate "gut and intestinal permeability" and if so, what diseases are related?
    If more than your GI tract was affected, I would say yes, possibly related to intestinal permeability. However, because some is absorbed even in healthy people, you have to look at the fact that you are ingesting a substance related to chlorinated pesticides and contaminated with methanol etc etc. So, your reaction may have nothing to do with abnormal permeability but rather a systemic reaction to poisonous compounds.

If you do have increased intestinal permeability, major causes are gluten sensitivity, any food sensitivities and overgrowth of Candida albicans. Because research is showing that virtually all grains can have serious effects on people with gluten sensitivity, I would advise a no grain/seed/legume/dairy diet. I know that you are mostly vegetarian and this could be very very difficult. If yeast related, then again, a no grain, very low carb diet to starve the yeast. As to supplements, not sure what to recommend although, per earlier discussions here at Hawke's and experience of others on nutrition groups, glutamine tends to be recommended.

My digestion was wrecked by undiagnosed gluten/grain sensitivity.
    I have to take probiotics, psyllium and fermented foods daily.

I also take (Standard Process Brand in parenthesis), probiotics (ProSymbiotic), digestive enzymes (Multizyme), bile salts (Cholacol) and betaine and other chlorides (Cal Amino).

Thread Information