Thread: Extreme fatigue

Default Extreme fatigue

Hi guys, I have another issue that I would like some input on. This has been sort of a long term problem but it is getting pretty dramatically worse. Over the last 5 years or so, I have been noticing fairly serious fatigue and a sort of disabling ennui. When I was working out regularly in 2005 I would get very fatigued after workouts and not be able to work out again for quite a few days. Even at that time, when I was probably in the best shape of my life, I noticed dizziness after walking up the stairs of the three floors to the weight room. I would have to stop and sit for a while before working out after this. Originally I started working out every other day and was able to recover okay, but gradually the recovery time lengthened. I have seen Reesacat's posts on this as a part of CFIDS and am wondering if this is possibly what the problem is.

In 2007, I had a doctor diagnose me with "Adrenal Fatigue" but this diagnosis came with a requirement for a lot of high priced vitamins and supplements and I could not afford to follow his protocol. He also suggested that I would be better off on Thyroid medication, and because I had to quit my job shortly after that to take care of my elderly mom, I never pursued this either.

Within the last week or so, I feel as though I am slogging through VERY HEAVY mud or something when I am walking. It is almost like walking from my car to the grocery store is too much for me and I may not make it.

Mom died on January 29, and I am now looking for a job again- not easy at 56 years old. The added stress of this may be aggravating an already existing condition, but the fatigue is not helping in finding an income either.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thanks in advance
    Laura

Default Re: Extreme fatigue

Are you running a fever? Do you have any other symptoms such as cold hands or feet, dry skin, constipation, loss of the outer third of your eyebrows (all signs of low thyroid)?

Any swollen glands? Do you feel rested when you wake up in the morning?
    If you do do something physical, does it take you 1-2 days to recover?

Have you been able to get your blood pressure/pulse checked recently? Are you having an irregular heartbeat? Do you have swelling of ankles/feet after being up for a few hours?

Hi Reesacat- I don't have a fever, I have always had cold hands, and feet, do not have dry skin and still have the outer third of my eyebrows. No constipation either, at least not usually. No swollen glands. I don't sleep well and wake up tired. It definitely takes me a couple days to recover from doing anything physical and this NEVER used to happen to me- I was always a very physical person, lifted pretty heavy objects and did a lot of physically demanding work. I will stop at Walgreens tomorrow to have my bp checked, but also no swelling of ankles or feet. I usually had low bp in the past.

You can check the status of your thyroid and adrenals yourself using Dr. Rind's temperature graphing. It will show low adrenal function, low thyroid function, and mixed low adrenal and thyroid function.

Dr. Rind has this very good tool of taking your temperature several times throughout the day and then graphing it to check thyroid and adrenal function. It really picks up subclinical thyroid problems tests miss because it is a functional test. If your thyroid is working you burn food and produce heat. If you are up and in the afternoon your temperature drops, (like mine did before I got thyroid medication) something is wrong!

Dr. Rind also discusses thyroid tests and which ones to get.

The home website:
    http://www.drrind.com/Home.htm

Metabolic Temperature Graph:
    http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...perature-graph

Thyroid Tests (Thyroid Scale Overview):
    http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

Before getting a diagnosis of CFIDS, you want to rule out other things that can cause fatigue. Anemia, diabetes, cardiac problems, infections, low thyroid, low adrenals are just a few things I can think of of of the top of my head that can cause major fatigue that have to be checked out before going onto a diagnosis of CFIDS.

The post exertional fatigue is very characteristic of CFIDS — it is one of the main diagnostic criteria. Knowing what I know now and how so many of us are grain/dairy/soy intolerant you could also try giving up grains/dairy/soy for a few weeks and see if your sleep and fatigue improve.

Bormal, I read this thread but am afraid I haven't anything to add. I second Reesacat's suggestions, especially the temperature tests and diet suggestions. Maybe B-12 would help? I am using Life Extension's methylcobalamin 5 mg (ppargammagirl used to say that 5 mg was NOT too high). As we age, we lose our ability to absorb a lot of nutrients.

I do hard physical labor spring summer fall and I notice each year, with regret, that I can't git 'er done like I used to. But that's the natural process of aging and not at all what you describe. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

If this doesn't post this time I'm gonna SCREAM! Bormal, I think Reesacat's suggestions are right on. I don't know if you have insurance but if so, possibly a few lab tests may be helpful. I would suggest a CBC, comprehensive metabolic profile, Vitamin D level, B12 and Folate levels to start. The graphing will give you thyroid and adrenal info without lab tests and let you know if something you should pursue.

@bormal:
    You stated that you were diagnosed with "Adrenal Fatigue" but could not afford the high priced vitamins and supplements. Diet is extremely important to help correct adrenal fatigue. One of the most important things you can do for adrenal fatigue is to keep your blood sugar levels steady. Here's how you can do that:
    1. eat within an hour of waking up;
    2. eat small meals or a healthy snack every 3 to 4 hours;
    3. combine good fat (coconut or olive oil), protein and complex carbohydrates at every meal. This will allow for a steady stream of energy throughout the day.
    4. lunch should be eaten before noon with a snack around 2 p.m. This snack is essential as it assists the body to prepare for the normal cortisol dip that regularly occurs around 3 p.m.
    5. eat the evening meal around 6 p.m.
    6. eat a small snack before retiring
    **You mentioned you could not afford the vitamins. OK. But, vitamins C & E (antioxidants) are important for the adrenals. So, if you can't afford the vits, then make sure you get plenty of fresh citrus fruits. Also, the "B complex" vitamins are critical for restoring health to the adrenals. Beef liver, poultry, turkey, fish, leafy green vegetables, lentils, most beans, and broccoli are good sources of B vitamins. Paying attention to what you eat and "when" you eat will pay big dividends in restoring adrenal health. Lastly, you mentioned your Mom's death just a few months ago. This surely has been very stressful for you. Stress, however, IS NOT your friend. You must find a way to remain as stress free as possible. Avoid stress at all cost. Learn to relax...meditate, pray, quiet walks, reading a book,....whatever works to relax you because stress is the enemy of your adrenals!! Hope this helps!!

Good stuff Mr Wizard, and Reesacat's info was pretty comprehensive. I'd definitely go back to the adrenal fatigue and thyroid. You've been told you have one issue and possibly the other. That would seem the logical place to begin. If you don't make headway move on to other causes.

Hi All- You guys are the best- Thank you SO much for all the responses.

So far this fatigue seems coincident with what appears to be an attack of diverticulitis that has gotten worse since yesterday. (I don't have a diagnosis because I have no insurance and going to a doctor is out of the question right now, but it seems like it from what I have read- and diverticulitis can be brought on by stress, which I have plenty of). It started as lower left abdominal discomfort that seems to be getting more uncomfortable (not outright painful as yet). I have never had any symptoms of this before, so it is new to me. I went out this am and bought some papaya enzymes, aloe vera juice, and psyllium husks, which were recommended on most of the sites I found, and will use these along with fasting for a few days- and hope the issue resolves. Thanks again for all your responses.

Please keep us posted bormal! I really hope this works for you.

Feel better soon, Bormal! You and the girls are in my heart and prayers

So sorry to read of your extreme fatigue and discomfort. Hoping that the advice offered by the others will help and that you feel much better very soon.

Thread Information