Thread: The Blood Will Out: Dr. De Meirleir on Low Blood Volume, Low Blood Pressure and CFIDS

Default The Blood Will Out: Dr. De Meirleir on Low Blood Volume, Low Blood Pressure and CFIDS

Cort Johnson
    June 2, 2013

When Dr. DeMeirleir first sees a person with chronic fatigue syndrome they often have cold hands, cold feet and low blood pressure – even in people who are overweight – which is, as he put it…’highly abnormal’ (except that ‘abby-normal’ is kind of status quo for this disorder) and their heart rates are increased (10-12 beats a minute faster than in healthy people.). Welcome to chronic fatigue syndrome, the disorder in which the seemingly paradoxical is commonplace. Low blood pressure and high heart rates when standing signify a condition called ‘POTS’ Dr. De Meirleir then mentioned postural hypotension (tachycardia) syndrome where blood pressure often drops as one stands (it should increase), while heart rates increase (up to 30 beats more/minute).

Read more: The Blood Will Out: Dr. De Meirleir on Low Blood Volume, Low Blood Pressure and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2013...yndrome-mecfs/

Default Re: The Blood Will Out: Dr. De Meirleir on Low Blood Volume, Low Blood Pressure and C

For some suggestions on helping enhance low blood volume, see the page Enhancing Blood Volume:
    http://www.cortjohnson.org/treating-...-fibromyalgia/

Elevating the head of the bed 4 inches, eating sea salt, and laying down with feet level with heart really help me.

Low blood volume can cause reduced blood flow to the brain (cognitive difficulties), problems standing (orthostatic intolerance), increased heart rates and reduced heart functioning which are common symptoms in CFIDS/ME.
    Last edited by Reesacat; 06-04-13 at 05:23 PM.

Default Re: The Blood Will Out: Dr. De Meirleir on Low Blood Volume, Low Blood Pressure and C

An environmental doctor I saw for a little while in SC said he could tell chronic fatigue patients as soon as they walked in the door. They were the ones who always carried a big container of water and couldn't be without it. He felt that all CFIDS patients probably have a little bit of Diabetes insipidus (a hormone made by the pituitary gland helps control fluid/electrolyte balance and in CFIDS, the pituitary doesn't make quite enough.) This goes right along with derangement of the HPA axis which occurs in CFIDS.

I tolerate walking short distances better than I tolerate standing still for any length of time. Sitting with my feet down for even a short time triggers symptoms. I do better when I make myself lie down a few hours every afternoon but I hate this and I'm bad about it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    An environmental doctor I saw for a little while in SC said he could tell chronic fatigue patients as soon as they walked in the door. They were the ones who always carried a big container of water and couldn't be without it. He felt that all CFIDS patients probably have a little bit of Diabetes insipidus (a hormone made by the pituitary gland helps control fluid/electrolyte balance and in CFIDS, the pituitary doesn't make quite enough.) This goes right along with derangement of the HPA axis which occurs in CFIDS.
    This would be me. Although I have no diagnosis whatsoever, I frequently have wondered about the outward symptoms of diabetes insipidus, which gets little mention compared to diabetes mellitus. I am one who drinks a lot of water, urinates a lot, and perspires a lot. If I neglect drinking adequate water during the day, my body will retaliate by waking me up with cramps in the legs and feet during the night. Perplexing!

Have you ever had a head injury Maurya? Or has this been something you have dealt with all your life? Sometimes a head injury will damage pathways in the brain and cause mild symptoms.

Yes, quite a few head injuries. People always said of me that my head was so hard that I never got damaged from having my head bashed, but perhaps the damage was lurking undetected. Back when I was a young person, nobody sought help for an injured kid unless bones were sticking out through the skin. The thinking about kids is quite different these days. Probably nothing can be done about it at this late stage of my life.

You have already figured out your water needs — you are a very wise person who listens to what your body needs

Thread Information