Thread: Fibromyalgia Mystery Solved?

Default Fibromyalgia Mystery Solved?

Rebecca Savastio
    20 June 2013

Researchers have found the main source of pain in Fibromyalgia patients, and contrary to what many believe, it does not stem from the brain. The findings mark the end of a decades-old mystery about the disease, which many doctors believed was conjured in patients’ imaginations. The mystery of Fibromyalgia has left millions of sufferers searching for hope in pain medications. Up until recently, many physicians thought that the disease was “imaginary” or psychological, but scientists have now revealed that the main source of pain stems from a most unlikely place- excess blood vessels in the hand.
    Read more: http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/fibrom...inally-solved/

Default Re: Fibromyalgia Mystery Solved?

One commenter said the study only looked at 6 people and that only 3 had this finding. I cannot find anything other than 2 articles about this study, nothing about the study itself. If I find further information I will update. FM, like CFIDS, I'm sure has multiple causes leading to the same end. So, while this may pertain to only a subgroup, it is still a start. I just wish the entire goal wasn't to develop new drugs.

According to Byron Richards at wellnessresources.com, ubiquinol (a form of Co Q-10) helps boost energy levels of fibromyalgia patients. The study confirmed that fibromyalgia patients were low in Q10. Providing as little as 100 mg of ubiquinol per day for 12 weeks boost their energy levels and their cholesterol metabolism. Ubiquinol provided antioxidant protection in the energy-producing mitochondria and is required in the final steps of making energy.

I think we need the advantage of time before considering this solves the "Fibromyalgia mystery". I am thinking back to the XMRV solution for Chronic Fatigue. The trail of that one can be traced through the various posts here on HH. These hypothesis' need to stand the test of time and further study. These only one that so far has withstood these tests is Martin Pall's NO/ONOO- solution for these multi system illnesses as a group. These is considerable overlap between all of these conditions and it does make sense that there is likely to be a common denominator. In the case of the NO/ONOO- theory, there have been clinical studies that have backed it up in MCS patients. The findings of this group in the above link could well be the end result of a biochemical process such as the NO/ONOO- cycle rather than the cause in which case the cure needs to be one that eliminates the cause rather than a band aid.
    http://www.hawkeshealth.net/communit...highlight=XMRV

Sounds like a good topic for those of you out there looking for a PhD. Alternative Bob, these protocols you mention sound really interesting. The NO/ONOO (nitrous oxide) theory is also advocated by a Dr. Ignaro - the reference escapes me at the moment but things may be looking up for FM and or Chronic Fatigue sufferers. Mr Wizard, just be careful taking Co Q-10 should you require surgery, you need to stop 2 weeks beforehand or you risk bleeding complications.

Quote Originally Posted by LabDoc View Post
    Sounds like a good topic for those of you out there looking for a PhD. Alternative Bob, these protocols you mention sound really interesting. The NO/ONOO (nitrous oxide) theory is also advocated by a Dr. Ignaro - the reference escapes me at the moment but things may be looking up for FM and or Chronic Fatigue sufferers. Mr Wizard, just be careful taking Co Q-10 should you require surgery, you need to stop 2 weeks beforehand or you risk bleeding complications.
    LabDoc: You absolutely correct about avoiding Co Q-10 before surgery. I would also add to that list: Vitamin E, Yohimbe,
    Ginko Biloba, Garlic, Ginseng, Ginger, Dong Quai, Ephedra, Feverfew, St. John's Wort, and Omega 3 fatty acids.

Nattokinase also - don't forget that one.

Yes, definitely don't take Natto within 2 weeks of surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard View Post
    Yes, definitely don't take Natto within 2 weeks of surgery.
    Mr. Wizard and Julieanne, the suggestion of pre-surgery avoidance of natto has me puzzled. I associate natto with Vit K, and K1 in particular, is good for slow clotting, to which I am prone. I don't know about the K2, or anything else in natto that could be problematic for surgery. Is there a better way to help more efficient clotting to take place without over-doing it?
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Natto delays clotting. It's a proteolytic enzyme, reduces lung scar tissue, cleans out plaque, consumes clots. D/c prior to surgery, definitely!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I have had multiple surgeries and procedures where I have had to discontinue nattokinase. I've only stopped it for 3 to 5 days though. 2 weeks is a long time if you are using it as an anticoagulant like I am. I take pretty high dose.

Thread Information