Thread: Dietitian Organization Attempts to Cash In on Obesity

Default Dietitian Organization Attempts to Cash In on Obesity

June 25, 2013

It’s politics as usual, but at a cost: the health of the American public. Action Alert!

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND, formerly the American Dietetic Association) has collaborated on a Medicare bill that will ensure that Registered Dietitians receive Medicare reimbursement for weight loss counseling. This bill excludes most other nutrition professionals, including many nutritionists and health coaches, limiting consumers’ options.

HR 2415, the Treat and Reduce Obesity Act of 2013, would allow Registered Dietitians (that is, dietitians who go through the AND’s credentialing program), Certified Diabetes Educators, and instructors trained and certified by the National Diabetes Prevention Lifestyle Coach Training Program (funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) to perform intensive behavioral therapy, communicate nutrition plans to an individual’s primary care physician or practitioner, and be reimbursed for these services by Medicare. It would also provide Medicare coverage on new prescription drugs for obesity management (note that Medicare does not currently provide coverage for weight loss drugs—see our article on that subject in this issue).

Read more, take action: http://www.anh-usa.org/dietitian-org...in-on-obesity/
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Dietitian Organization Attempts to Cash In on Obesity

My youngest daughter has an Honors Degree in Dietetics and Nutrition. Now I don't know what the education system is like in the US, but here in Oz, virtually anyone can read a book on nutrition and then call themselves a 'nutritionist', they are not qualified to work in hospitals (but can set up shop themselves)and do not have Medicare rights, only those with a four year Degree like my daughter can practice in hospitals and have accredited training. I may be biased, but I know who I would consult.

Someone will come along soon and clarify what I'm about to say. I think here, nutritionists as well as dietitians have 4-year degrees. The difference (if I've got it right) is that nutritionists embrace the philosophy of the alternative movement, whereas dietitians have learned conventional wisdom (e.g. low-fat, low cholesterol, plenty of whole grains, asartame is safe because the FDA approved it etc. — this is the advice I got from dietitians when I was diagnosed with diabetes). The ADA is sponsored & supported by corps. like PepsiCo, Yum Foods, Nestlé's, McD's and so forth. Currently they are on a tear in some states to prevent nutritionists from handing out advice at all.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

That was my understanding Islander, from everything I have read. I think way back I may even have posted something on who sponsors the ADA. It may be a little different in Australia, but I don't really know.

Thread Information