Thread: Problem editing with Firefox

Default Problem editing with Firefox

Not strictly an HH site issue, but it's driving me nuts. Can anyone help?

When I go back to an article I've posted, to add info, Firefox won't let me just close that window, but closes down the whole site, so I have to log on again.

The message is something like 'close multiple tabs', so I can't just close that tab and get back to the site as I did before with Explorer. Hope I'm making sense!

Default Re: Problem editing with Firefox

I use Firefox. I guess I don't understand the first move, the one where you close a window. Why would you do that?

One suggestion that comes to mind: before I post anything, I click the Preview button. When I see what the post will look like, I can scroll down to the actual post and make any needed corrections before I submit. If you aren't already doing that, it may be something to try.

I see you are getting typos in your titles. Do you not copy & paste the entire title?

ETA: another thought, a shortcut. I've found the fastest way to post is to try to copy all I can gather into one stroke: title, author, date, first ¶ or two... paste. Once in the HH window, I can move text around quickly and then go back to harvest the link. See if you feel comfortable with that.
    Last edited by Islander; 07-24-13 at 10:48 AM.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Make sure you are clicking on the X only for the tab you want to close, not on the red X in the right corner.

Here's what just happened. I read the greenmedinfo article on Australian health, then clicked to leave that site and return to HH (what I normally do). The message:

You are about to close 2 tabs. Red cross on right hand side
    Are you sure you want to continue?

Close tabs Cancel

Mellow, there is no other X.

That's it - if I want to leave the site I have to close the tabs, which takes me back to my screen. There must be a way to fix this, but Google didn't really help. Explorer often had a message "close current tabs' or 'close all tabs' - I want to close current tab. Can't go back to that, as it got too damaged by the virus I had last week.

I have Firefox version 22.0. When I open the "About" link on Firefox it comes with a prompt, "Check for Updates." Why I think you should do this: Your FF does not look like mine. I have no red cross. Each tab has a cross. I multitask so I may have up to 10 tabs open at once and I can open or close any one at will.

But wait. Can you not just return to the HH tab that you have open? Why close anything? F'r'instance, I keep HH as my second-leftmost tab (next to the email tab). When I want to read an item on HH, I click the link and it opens a new tab to the right. I read, then I close it by clicking on its x, which returns me to the HH window. If you don't have that option (which seems odd), why not just return to the HH tab, which is still open?

Julieanne, I second what Islander said. I think you have an old version or if you've updated some kind of glitch. I would try updating or re-installing.

I don't understand any of this! When it comes to using a computer I only have very basic knowledge and need to learn a lot more. I'll try and follow it up. Sigh!

Julieanne, I know the feeling! We have all been there. No one is born a computer expert. With support from the crew here, I think we can get your issues resolved. Hang on & keep reading!

First, do you have Skype? If you don't, here's a suggestion. Go to http://www.skype.com and download it — just the basic version, if you have a choice. In case you don't know, Skype is a free Internet-based telephone service that connects people worldwide. It's a video call, but you can disable the video (or if your computer has no camera, it's a non-issue, lol). It would be SO much easier to talk you through the process. Email me first to see what hours out of the 24 we are both awake & alert!

Meanwhile, although I have a Mac and you have a pc, there should be a drop-down menu under the word Firefox at the top of your monitor. One of the choices should be "About". Clicking on that should open a window where you have the option to upgrade. Or failing that, go to firefox.com to upgrade to the latest version.

OK, thanks Pegg. Bit busy for the next two or three days, but I'll have a look when I can. It seems odd that I only changed to Firefox a week ago, after the virus messed things up, so you would think I had the latest version?

I've thought of getting Skype, but not really had the need till now. But my son will be in Timor in September, and I know he keeps in touch with family through Skype, so perhaps it's time.

Problem fixed! I finally found the small x that mellow mentioned, way at the top in tiny print. I was looking for it in the wrong place. Thanks for all your help, and especially the offer re Skype from Islander. I think what happens when I'm confused about what to do is that I don't read everything slowly and carefully enough. I should know by now!

I am so glad you got it sorted out Julieanne

Me too!

I'm glad to hear you got it all sorted Julieanne.

Thread Information