Thread: Nebulizing Glutithione or Vitamin D for Asthma?

Default Nebulizing Glutithione or Vitamin D for Asthma?

I have been suffering from severe asthma for the past 27 years and have recently undergone two of three bronchial thermoplastys (the 2nd being about 4 weeks ago). I have still to notice any real improvement and have been looking at alternatives for bronchodilation/general lung healing to use in my nebulizer. It appears that overuse of the conventional bronchodilators has put me on the brink of pulmonary hypertension. Just a few days ago I have increased my vitamin D3 intake (and already have seen a little improvement in lung function) but am curious about Mellowsongs's experience with nebulizing glutithione and wondering about the possibility of nebulizing vitamin D. I have also seen a little bronchodilator effect from nebulizing Agricept-L and magnesium chloride (separately), these I continue to use.

Thank you!

Default Re: Nebulizing Glutithione or Vitamin D for Asthma?

First of all, welcome I did try the glutathione in the nebulizer. I have severe asthma, cough variant type. I was recently talking to my pulmonologist, throwing the idea of adding Mucomyst (which is NAC which metabolizes to glutathione). The problem with nebulized glutathione is that it releases sulfites in the bronchi. If you are sensitive to sulfites, it will cause severe bronchospasm. If you are not sensitive, there is a chance that you can become sensitized to sulfites. Asthmatics are especially vulnerable to being sensitized to sulfites. He said the same thing happens with Mucomyst; that it is well tolerated for a few days but most people develop bronchospasms when it is used longer than that. At first, I was fine with it but by the 2nd week, I was coughing a lot during each treatment and it got progressively worse. I had to stop the treatments unfortunately. I now take liposomal glutathione. If you tolerate it, my research indicates that it can definitely be very helpful. The pulmonologist is trying me on a very very old asthma/allergy treatment called cromolyn sodium as a nebulizer treatment. It can take a month or more to see a noticeable difference so I don't know yet. It appears to stabilize mast cells.

I would strongly recommend against nebulizing vitamin D. It is oil based and oil in the lungs leads quickly to lipid pneumonia. Not a risk you would want to take. Take it orally, get sun if you can, and raise your levels that way.

I'm not familiar with Agricept-L nor am I familiar with nebulizing magnesium chloride, so thank you for giving me other options to look into.

Welcome to the Forum Dharmaperson!

'adding Mucomyst (which is NAC which metabolizes to glutathione)'

I'm intrigued mellow. Don't the NAC tabs I take metabolize to glutathione? I thought they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    I'm intrigued mellow. Don't the NAC tabs I take metabolize to glutathione? I thought they did.
    Yes, however it is the fact that NAC and glutathione release sulfites directly into the airway that is the problem. The risk is very little to non-existent if taken orally. I honestly don't know all the chemistry involved but it is specifically sulfites that cause the reaction and it occurs much more often in asthmatics than in those with other lung conditions.

Thanks mellow, you've put my mind at rest!

Thread Information