Thread: I have a root canal. What are my options?

Default I have a root canal. What are my options?

No Author
    July 24, 2013

I wish this were a more fun subject to be discussing. However, we have received so many questions about root canals and positive options available, we want to address this subject for you. For the sake of clarity, we WAY prefer to write about solutions that are purely positive rather than weighing the risks and downsides of various options like when pondering options if a you already have a root canal.

http://www.orawellness.com/blog/i-ha...re-my-options/
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Default Re: I have a root canal. What are my options?

I would suggest to anyone in a new or bad root canal situation to inquire about implants. They can be expensive, but probably more cost effective in the long run compared to root canals, and all the possible long term complications that go with them. I've had 3 successful implants over the past appx 8 years. The second implant was the result of a failed root canal I had regrettably opted for thinking I could save the tooth...wrong, it failed in a year and a half. Implants can sometime take over a year to complete if a complication like bone grafting is required to help build upo the jaw bone, but still worth the effort IMHO.

Grulla, what type of implant did you feel was safe and beneficial?

Veteran Member

One thing people should know about a root canal, and are seldom told, is that it makes the tooth very brittle and therefore easily broken. I had an implant about 20 years ago due to a root canal and subsequently broken tooth. Unfortunately, the underlying jawbone wasn't built up enough to support the implant properly. This caused a slight collapse of the gums surrounding the implant, creating a pocket. Oral surgery was needed to correct the problem. I don't know if I would ever get another implant because of this. Hopefully implant techniques have improved since then. To say I dislike dental work would be a massive understatement, so I'm very diligent about my dental home care.

Grulla has been having problems accessing the site. He sent me replies to comments in this thread:

@Good-day: The only type implant im familiar with is the one with the titanium pin, insert and ceramic toothlike cap, which looks, feels and behaves like the real deal. My dentist recently reminded me if the ceramic cap should ever come off, (has never happened to me), I can get dental adhesive at any pharmacy to reattach it and then return to the dental office at my convenience to examine to make sure it is stable. In other words, don't lose or throw away the ceramic cap.

@Lovemywesties: I have needed bone reinforcement for two of my three implants over the past 8 appx years. This involved my dentist having to insert bone grafting material into my jawbone through the gum. It can take anywhere from 3-6 months for that bonegrafting material to build up suitable strength before the implant can be performed, thereby increasing the overall implant procedure time to as much as a year or more. A normal implant might only take about 6 months overall to complete. If I remember correctly, the dentist told me that a minimun of 10mm bone thickness is required for a stable implant.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thanks "Islander", for relaying my messages. I'm back on at least for the moment. Don't know how long my Exede satallite connection is going to last..."grulla".

Thread Information