Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium: “The Most Powerful Relaxation Mineral Available”

Default Magnesium: “The Most Powerful Relaxation Mineral Available”

Mark Hyman, M.D.
    No Date

Could a deficiency in a magnesium be to blame for some of your chronic health problems, lack of sleep or anxiety? Mark Hyman, M.D. reveals why this “secret antidote to stress” works so well and tells you how to get more of it — naturally.

Watch video here: http://tv.greenmedinfo.com/magnesium...ral-available/

Default Re: Magnesium: “The Most Powerful Relaxation Mineral Available”

Very informative!! I put magnesium right up there with vitamin C. I was happy to hear Dr. Hyman emphasize the co-factors needed in order for your body to effectively process magnesium, like B6, vit. D3, selenium, etc. This is one mineral most Americans probably need to supplement because the SAD American diet includes very little magnesium.

I wish this had included a transcript - I struggle to hear videos.

Magnesium also works synergystically with calcium, but because they compete for absorption, they should be taken separately. Along with the co-factors Mr. Wizard points out in the post above, I supplement with magnesium threonate and calcium hydoxyapatite. I am occasionally treated to magnesium chloride foot massage as well. Oh, and "Got Sulfur?" (I'm sounding like Patrick.)
    “It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.”
    ~ Mark Twain~

Veteran Member

This video assumes that almost everyone eats a bad diet and therefore needs to supplement with magnesium. Also, it overlooks the fact that some of us can't take much supplemental mag, if any at all, because it causes diarrhea. IMHO, if you aren't displaying symptoms of mag deficiency and you eat a healthy diet that includes foods high in mag, chances are pretty good that you don't need to supplement.

LMW, I eat an exemplary diet, 99% of which I grow myself, and yet if I don't have a cup of "Calm" periodically, I will wake up in the middle of the night with leg and foot cramps. Once again, everyone's different!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

As to the issue of supplemental Mg "causing diarrhea", this outcome frequently has to do with using a less absorbable form of Mg, such as the very commonly used magnesium oxide. Most drug store brand multivitamins use the oxide form of Mg, which is quite effective as a laxative, but not so effective as a usable source of Mg. In addition, failure to begin a supplement with small doses and then to titrate upward to the correct, effective, therapeutic dose can result in this sort of digestive distress. Timing of supplemental Mg is important, as well. As mentioned, taking one's Mg later in the day, with one's Ca intake earlier in the day is more advantageous for many people.

None of these known effects imply that just supplementing intelligently with Mg "causes diarrhea". Lack of research and lack of following what really is going on in one's own body are responsible for these ill effects.

Veteran Member

Islander, I tend to get tight muscles and back spasms on occasion. I've narrowed it down to overuse of unsweetened iced tea (black with lemon), which is probably my one dietary vice. After some research, I discovered that too much tea can deplete the body's supply of mag. Combine that with not drinking sufficient water--which I tend not to do when I fill up on tea--is enough to cause problems for me. The solution is to limit the tea and make sure I get a good 64 oz. of water per day. Voila, problem gone.

Maurya, thanks for the info. However, I've tried every type of magnesium known to man, and none of it was drugstore variety. I tried taking it with food, without food, at night, in the morning, split doses... You name it, I tried it. I simply cannot take much supplemental mag. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I do fairly well with "Calm" powdered mag, of which I take about a quarter teaspoon stirred into a glass of water several times a week. That's far below the recommended dose, but that, apparently, is the correct, effective, therapeutic dosage for me. As Islander pointed out, we're all different.

Thank you for your info.
    Magnesium is one of the six essential macro-minerals that comprise 99% of the body’s mineral content. It is necessary to maintain a good health and especially good for brain functions. However, even when you involve in a healthy diet, that does not mean you get enough magnesium. The human body contains approximately 20-28 grams of magnesium Over 50% of this amount is stored in the skeletal system while the rest in found in muscle, soft tissues and bodily fluids. Magnesium plays a key role in over 300 enzymatic reactions within the body including the metabolism of food as well as synthesis of fatty acids anvd proteins. It also plays a part in neuromuscular transmission and muscle relaxations. Therefore, magnesium deficiency can lead to insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome or heart disease. However, facts have shown that nearly 50% of people in US consume less than the necessary daily amount of magnesium. One of the biggest magnesium benefits is to improve PMS symptoms in women. Because magnesium deficiency may lead to migraine, it is reasonable to use magnesium supplementation as a way to treat this problem.
    To provide the body this mineral, you choose foods such as cashews, peanut butter, chia seeds and brown rice. Edamame also have high content of magnesium, which links to many health benefits. https://wikihomenutrition.com/edamame-health-benefits/

And in case it needs to be repeated ("wr7476") and emphasized, the Mg supplement version of choice is said to be Mg THREONATE, which has the better ability to cross the blood brain barrier.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/magnesiu...-powers-brain/ http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swans...FYKBaQodPecHfA

My two tips with magnesium...I find if I put a tablespoon of Epsom salt in the hole when I plant my tomatoes and peppers, I avoid end rot. I buy magnesium chloride by the kilo. Put it in water until it doesn't dissolve any more, it is now a saturated solution called magnesium oil. If you get a cramp and spray this "oil" on the spot , the cramp will go away in seconds. Your skin will absorb it as well.
    mitakuye oyasin na akita mani yo!

Stephen, thanks for the reminder! I planted out some tomatoes yesterday and didn't think about magnesium. Last year they showed symptoms of a deficiency later in the season, but didn't respond that well to Epsom salts. Better to add it now and prevent the problem.

Grulla, there are many forms of magnesium, some of which are more absorbable than others or a better fit for one person. I have tried several and find magnesium citrate to be the most effective for me. YMMV.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grulla, there are many forms of magnesium, some of which are more absorbable than others or a better fit for one person. I have tried several and find magnesium citrate to be the most effective for me. YMMV.
    Your acronym "YMMV" is not crossing my blood brain barrier either, what's it mean??? lol

Veteran Member

I think it means Your Mind May Vary but my brain lots may be interfering with my capacity for typing coherent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information