Thread: 11 Disease-Causing Ingredients Added To Garbage Bags

Default 11 Disease-Causing Ingredients Added To Garbage Bags

Michelle Schoffro Cook
    September 26 2013

Have you seen those Febreze commercials with the pseudo-scientific experiments in which people are blindfolded and exposed to garbage? When the blindfolds are removed people are elated and overjoyed that they couldn’t smell the filth right below their noses. There is no miracle odor-elimination chemical at work here—just the work of toxic chemicals.

As if spraying this stuff around the house wasn’t enough, now household garbage just got a lot more disgusting. The Glad Products Company—the makers of Glad garbage bags—decided it wasn’t enough that people are breathing Febreze in so-called “air fresheners,” they’ve started adding it to their garbage bags as well, under the guise of “OdorShield.” But what exactly are you breathing when you use these Febreze-infused garbage bags? According to Proctor and Gamble—the makers of Febreze—there are three ingredients in its product. But, according to the Environmental Working Group, an American-based non-profit that advocates for health protection, there are a whopping 89 chemicals in Febreze Air Effects

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/11-...#ixzz2g5U0dFNH

Default Re: 11 Disease-Causing Ingredients Added To Garbage Bags

Sigh.....I didn't think I would have to start reading labels for garbage bags! Thank you Julieanne for the article!

Your trash shouldn't smell!

Outside the door to the woodshed I have two containers, one for pig swill, one for compost. Naturally I realize that a lot of people have no pigs and no need for compost, but there are ways to remove odors from carbon-based garbage (as opposed to trash). I rinse out items like cottage cheese containers and cat food cans before trashing them (actually the cans are recycled). For true garbage (like rotten bananas, spoiled celery etc.), empty coffee cans or cottage cheese containers are airtight solutions. Four thousand new and untested chemicals are released into the environment DAILY. All we can do is try our best to avoid them!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yeah, this crap has been in the bags for a while now. There are several brands (Ruffies for one) that I simply can't buy. It is getting harder to find garbage bags without scents or odor shields etc. I belong to a survey site and once in a blue moon get a product to try. I did a survey about garbage bags and in the comments, I put DO NOT SEND TO ME and explained the chemical sensitivity. A few days later, the box showed up. The scent was so strong that I could smell it through the cardboard box. They sat on my porch until next time my daughter came over and I gave them to her. I am beginning to believe that they truly are out to kill us all.

Well, sometimes garbage does smell! Mine doesn't because I don't add any food waste, except bones sometimes, with the meat removed, and I wrap them in newspaper. I have never used garbage bags, as I try hard to cut down on the use of plastic. We have large bins for waste, and they can be washed out. Maybe some areas in the US only pick up garbage in bags?

I wonder if we aren't just getting a little too fussy and finicky in our throwaway society. Scented toilet paper, things to hang in the toilet, air fresheners, all designed to cover (not remove) natural odours. I guess I'm a just bit more down-to -earth than most people. My DIL would probably be horrified, she even shrinks at the idea of a worm farm!

I think perhaps advertising has helped to make us more fastidious by shaming us over natural odors.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Thread Information