Thread: Brain Drain – Brain Gain: Dr. Lapp on the Cognitive Problems in CFIDS

Default Brain Drain – Brain Gain: Dr. Lapp on the Cognitive Problems in CFIDS

Cort Johnson
    October 20, 2013

Dr. Lapp has been treating chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia patients for decades at the Hunter-Hopkins Center, and regularly participates in clinical trials. In his latest newsletter he addresses the cognitive problems found in ME/CFS, briefly reviews the scientific literature, and offers up some treatment ideas.

It’s tough to lose your mental sharpness to a disease but all may not be lost. Dr. Lapp suggests some ways to combat the cognitive declines common in chronic fatigue syndrome.

The research says the cognitive deficits in ME/CFS are relatively subtle compared to some other illnesses, but my guess is that a series of subtle deficits in information processing, short term memory, concentration, etc., can lead to pretty big cognitive and emotional hits.

Read more: Brain Drain – Brain Gain: Dr. Lapp on the Cognitive Problems in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and What to Do About Them http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/doct...igue-syndrome/

Default Re: Brain Drain – Brain Gain: Dr. Lapp on the Cognitive Problems in CFIDS

I've had those UBOs on 2 different MRIs and both times, although noted in the report, the radiologists both felt compelled to say that the finding was "meaningless".

Default Re: Brain Drain – Brain Gain: Dr. Lapp on the Cognitive Problems in CFIDS

I actually saw Dr. Lapp when he was part of Dr. Cheney's clinic in Charlotte back in the 1990's. My SPECT scan showed reduced flow to temporal lobes and midbrain and a couple of other areas. I also had a few UBO's.
    QEEG showed dysfunction similar to a midbrain trauma.

Thread Information