Thread: Rethinking Stress: It Could Save Your Life

Default Rethinking Stress: It Could Save Your Life

Mark Sisson
    October 30, 2013

Think back to the last time you were under stress. What kind of physical symptoms can you recall?

Pounding heart. Increased pulse rate. The sensation of blood rushing through your body and brain. A narrowing of focus, your thoughts and gaze centered on the stressor itself; and then, suddenly, you’re scatterbrained. Anxiety. Your stomach a pit apparently filled with fluttering, winged insects. These are all familiar to anyone who’s faced down a deadline, bull in the arena, mounting stack of bills, or mugger.

But those symptoms also show up at other times in response to different situations. Mustering up the courage to ask a girl or guy out?

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/rethi...ave-your-life/

Default Re: Rethinking Stress: It Could Save Your Life

Don’t ever say any permutation of “I’m so stressed,” even if you are. What’s the point? Whose cause does it serve? By reaffirming your stress level in a negative manner, you give it life and power over you. You’re literally telling yourself to be stressed out. It’s silly, so stop feeling sorry for yourself.
    I think this is key. I recently went through two weeks of agonizing and anxiety over indecision about a couple of major purchases. Maybe this is not the kind of "stress" Sisson talks about, but I found myself acknowledging my stress in exactly those words... and I eventually caught myself at it, and stopped immediately. I replaced that mantra with a more positive message — something like, "This is a tough moment, but you'll make the right decision." And once the final decision had been made, the symptoms (stress always manifests for me in intestinal grief) ended.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I've been stressed for weeks about getting work done in my garden that I can no longer do. I have to prepare for summer and bushfire season and felt overwhelmed. I never actually thought 'I'm stressed', so I'm not sure how this would help. But I sure had some of the symptoms! For me, that's acute insomnia and forgetfulness, waking up at 3.00am and not being able to go back to sleep.

I only used the word stressed when I found a solution - then I said "I was really getting stressed about this". Basically (not to go off topic) it was financial. I had quotes of $50 and $70 an hour to get work done, which was not skilled labour. I finally found someone who is willing to do the work much, much cheaper, and someone else on the LETS system who can come along with a chainsaw. Whew, what a relief! I feel so much better knowing the work will be done, This might sound trivial, but it's pretty important to get it done where I live, especially with the terrible bushfires in New South Wales.

Glad you found some help, Julie, because I know that feeling all too well! Those hourly wages are daft! Yes, things are tight here and unemployment is high, but I can still find people willing to do a good job for $10/hour.

To be honest, if I had any such work that I wanted someone else to do, I would expect to pay about NZ$20 an hour, which would be about US $16, which I consider to be a reasonable recompense for time in relation to the cost of living in this country. Someone working a 40 hour week earning the equivalent of US$10 an hour here would be below the poverty line. Time Banks here use NZ$21 as the value of an hour of time.
    Having said that I also know how difficult it can be to find the resources to compensate for having work done. The LETS system is a godsend for this type of thing. The beauty of it is that you don't even need to have the LETS currency on hand. It is expected that people will "move through zero" many times and have a negative balance as often as they have positive balance. There is NO interest paid either way. It can in fact be easier to gain credit than to use it in this system. We are lucky to have a very strong and growing LETS group in our area.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_...trading_system

Veteran Member

I agree that self-talk has a huge effect on how we feel...and therefore on our health. I do pretty well in the stress department (because I know I don't do well AT ALL if I let myself get stressed), but there is a type of situation in which I tend to get upset/angry and if nobody's around I'll talk about it out loud, and it's not good. I'm working on it.

I know worrying changes nothing, but sometimes situations are just worrisome! It's their nature!

Yes, I've been negative and positive with hour exchanges. Right now I'm in the positive range but am waiting for someone who agreed to help me stack stovewood. It's just magical to be part of a network where people help people & no money changes hands!

We're going a bit off topic here, but our local LETS system has been going for 21 years. Which means a lot of us are growing a bit too old to do the work we used to do. Some younger members are coming in, but it's harder now to get people along to busy bees. Once, a dozen or more folks would turn up and get massive amounts of work done. Now. you might get three, and they don't stay long enough to finish the job. Everyone seems to be so busy these days.

Islander, if I could get someone for $10 an hour, or even $20, I'd just pay the cash. Even students want around $25 - kids are more affluent today and don't seem to really need the money. Mind you, I do live in a fairly affluent area - it could be different elsewhere. The guy coming from LETS retired about a month ago,so he's not young either.

Re wages - the minimum wage here is (I think) around $17.50. I have seen on a couple of TV progs that in the US you can be paid as little as $2.13 an hour for working a restaurant. They rely on tips to make it up, but still don't do very well. So while $70 an hour is ridiculous, most people get a fair wage.
    Last edited by Julieanne; 11-01-13 at 06:31 AM.

Veteran Member

I've never heard of the LETS system. It sounds great. I'm sorry to hear it seems to be losing steam, though. That's sad. I have a feeling that we whose parents lived through the depression learned different values (many of us, anyway), and most of us have tried to pass them along to our children, some of whom caught on and some of whom didn't. After that generation, though, it seems that that ethic of saving what you can and spending carefully seems less a part of life for more people than it was before.

And to add to that, I think the credit card system encouraged instant gratification and overspending. Consider this, too: at one time a teacher's annual salary was equal to the cost of a decent house. How long since that's been true??

Veteran Member

Try EFT for stress and anxiety. It works for many people, myself included. You can't always change a stressful situation, but you can change how you react to it. I've successfully used EFT and FasterEFT (which I prefer) for a number of issues, including pain. I've found that the more you use it the better the response gets since, apparently, you can condition your brain to pay attention to what you're telling it--sort of like training a puppy. If you've ever taken valium the result is somewhat similar in that you know the stressors are still there but they no longer upset you, and, of course, EFT won't make you loopy like pills do.

I've read articles, usually written by therapists, who claim a person needs guidance or hypnosis to "properly" do EFT, but that simply isn't true. The process does not need to be lengthy, difficult, or complicated. The fact is that EFT isn't at all hard and FasterEFT is even easier. Repetition is needed, but it only takes a few seconds each time you do it, and it can be done discreetly just about anywhere. I'm always amazed that so few people have ever heard of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAhNS...i0mV_wumpbqU3Y
    This is a link for a video showing how to do FasterEFT.
    Last edited by Lovemywesties; 11-01-13 at 12:36 PM.

Thread Information