Thread: Gut Bacteria Might Guide The Workings Of Our Minds

Default Gut Bacteria Might Guide The Workings Of Our Minds

ROB STEIN
    November 18, 2013

Could the microbes that inhabit our guts help explain that old idea of "gut feelings?" There's growing evidence that gut bacteria really might influence our minds.

"I'm always by profession a skeptic," says Dr. Emeran Mayer, a professor of medicine and psychiatry at the University of California in Los Angeles. "But I do believe that our gut microbes affect what goes on in our brains."

Mayer thinks the bacteria in our digestive systems may help mold brain structure as we're growing up, and possibly influence our moods, behavior and feelings when we're adults. He says, "It opens up a completely new way of looking at brain function and health and disease."

Read more: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013...s-of-our-minds
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Gut Bacteria Might Guide The Workings Of Our Minds

Now, if only they could find ways to manufacture a synthetic product that mimics the probiotic effects, but that would be patentable and could be sold for megabucks…

Think I posted this before, but after I started taking probiotics a few months ago, my mild depression just lifted, along with a few other symptoms.

Anti-psychotic drugs that suppress seratonin and dopamine, also cause dyspepsia, (heartburn). Almost all bipolar patients wind up on Prilosec soon after starting bipolar meds. I got off Prilosec by supplementing with a probiotic, and that may have helped me get off bipolar medications with such ease, along with the amino acids. There's only a 44% success rate for patients who have been on their medications for 6 or more years, but I had no trouble.

Veteran Member

Probiotics are good. I generally use VSL#3, which is effective but expensive. It's available in individual sachets as well as capsules. I've also used a loose, granular probiotic called (if I remember right) Prodophilus, which is a little cheaper. I'd be interested in what probiotics others like.

I recently picked up Vitacost Probiotic 10-20, just because I thought (after reading two of these articles) that it might be a good idea to add some variety to my yogurt and homemade sauerkraut. I've been taking it for about a week and feel no different... probably because I didn't need it.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I use Theralac carried by Life Extension Foundation. It regularly costs 35.96, but it lasts two months. http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Suppleme...key=probiotics "Theralac®'s breakthrough technology guarantees 100 percent live delivery of its probiotics into the intestinal tract. Once in the gut, Theralac®'s strains are stimulated into action by LactoStim®, a patented prebiotic that feeds probiotics. Rapid colonization of intestinal surfaces follows and bowel movements normalize quickly.
    http://www.internationalprobiotics.org
    Probiotics work by competitively excluding harmful microorganisms from gut surfaces. When Theralac’s probiotics are present, harmful microorganisms can’t occupy the same space. Probiotics manufacture lactic acid, a food acid that hinders the growth of bacteria. Each lot of Theralac® is pre-tested for lactic acid production which, along with colony forming units (CFU, a measure of live strength) and purity, is published by lot# at http://www.theralac.com.
    Big CFU numbers on a probiotic bottle mean nothing if they are killed in the stomach. Theralac®’s probiotics survive. A patented gel formulation utilizes sodium alginate from seaweed and grape skin to protect Theralac®’s strains. A powerful dose of 30 billion CFU is delivered alive into the gut. Theralac® is protected by US patents 7,122,370 and 7,229,818."
    Also, Theralac contains Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, which improves anxiety, reduces cortisol, and affects GABA receptors promoting calmness. See the Related Articles on the product site.

I found choosing a probiotic thoroughly confusing. I can't remember now why I chose the one I did, but it seemed to do what I wanted. I buy Gr8-Dophilus from iherb - 120 caps for $21.66.

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Probiotic Blend of 8 Strains 4.0 Billion Organisms * Lactobacillus acidophilus 1.2 billion * Lactobacillus casei 600 million * Lactobacillus rhamnosus 600 million * Lactobacillus salivarius 600 million * Streptococcus thermophilus 400 million * Bifidobacterium bifidum 200 million * Bifidobacterium longum 200 million * Bifidobacterium lactis

Here is another article on probiotics, referred to as psychobiotics, that I believe belongs in this thread.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/psy...r-brain?page=1

Veteran Member

Hmm... Maybe some day they'll find out that bacteria are responsible for our ability to think and reason--literally, bugs in the programming. Wouldn't it be a hoot if that's what makes us all tick? It wouldn't surprise me.

Thread Information