Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A long journey back

Default Re: A long journey back

Are you grain and dairy free Tara?

Not a long winded story at all but inspiring and thought provoking!

Congratulations on making such strides from what might have seemed like an impossible low point in your life. Welcome to Hawkes Health and if you are on Facebook, you can "like" our page there too at https://www.facebook.com/hawkeshealth.

Sending my very best wishes for continued success in your journey back to where you want to be.

Tara, about the cinnamon: did you know that there are 2 types, cassia cinnamon (the one in your supermarket spice section) and "true" or Ceylon cinnamon, Cinnamomum verum? The former is useless at BG control and can be dangerous, because in large doses it will interfere with blood clotting. The latter is harder to find and its usefulness to diabetics is in doubt. It is most effective in enhancing insulin sensitivity for those who are bordering on metabolic syndrome. If you like cinnamonm, by all means use it, but be careful not to OD on cassia.

I brought my A1c from 8.9 to 5.2 by disregarding everything the medical professionals told me to do. I quit sugar and all sweeteners, bread and all grains, and starches like rice, potatoes, etc.; I increased my consumption of healthy saturated fats and ate lots of green & yellow vegetables and a modest amount of protein. I lost weight and have maintained a healthy weight for about 2 1/2 years. I try to walk or ride my bike daily as well. (I should add that I farm and garden on a modest scale; I raise all my own organic fruits & veggies, pork & chicken, and barter for beef and lamb, so I have absolute control over my diet). I'm still working on lowering that A1c further; it's a work in progress.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Yes, thanks for the warning. The cinnamon extract in the formula is Cinnamonum Cassia, but the toxic aldehydes have been removed. "Studies in humans have proven equally impressive. In a recent double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial,17 a group of maturing individuals (average age 61) taking 500 mg per day of the cinnamon extract contained in this CinSulin®formula experienced an average decline of 12 mg/dL in fasting blood glucose after only two months. This novel cinnamon extract also produced a significant decrease in after-meal glucose spikes (an average of 32 mg/dL) after ingestion of 75 g of carbohydrates!"

"Cinnamon polyphenols have been found to activate our cells’ glucose detection systems, enabling them to support healthy blood glucose already within normal range.18-23 Cinnamon also induces satiety (the feeling of being full) which inhibits overconsumption and optimizes after-meal blood sugar spikes at healthy levels. However, cinnamon naturally contains fat-soluble compounds known as aldehydes. The good news is that Life Extension® has identified a highly purified, water-soluble cinnamon extract."
    I'll try it, and report on the results. I'm very anxious to lower my fasting glucose, so I can get on with brain-building.

Thanks, Jane. I followed the link to facebook and liked it. There was some very interesting content, I'll enjoy browsing there.

Hi Reesacat, I'm grain free, but I've been using whey protein shakes with organic milk for my protein and calcium source and meal replacement to keep my calories down. I'm switching to raw, grass fed organic goat's milk next month from a local farm I found. I'm not sensitive or allergic to dairy, so I haven't tried eliminating it yet. I would have to see some some pretty compelling reason to eliminate the goat's milk, it's been consumed for thousands of years and is more widely consumed than cow's milk, but I'm open to new information and often change my mind.
    Last edited by Tara48; 12-08-13 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to include name of person I am replying to

Hi Islander, I did some research on the cinnamon and found out that the toxic substance you referred to that interferes with blood clotting is coumarin and it is not an aldehyde which is mentioned in the literature on the product, so I contacted a Life Extension advisor and asked them specifically about the coumarin. He looked it up and came back with the information that coumarin is an oil and fat based, it is removed along with the fat soluble toxic aldehydes in a patented process. There is no coumarin in the product. However, it only takes a teaspoon of the spice in my cooking to exceed recommended levels, so I'll be careful with it's use. Thanks for the heads up.

Welcome Tara48, I don't have any additional advice for you at this time, but wanted to let you know how impressed I am at what you've managed to accomplish on your own. I'm sure you find even more valuable FYI here and of course, lots of support.

Another welcome, Tara. When considering dairy products, one size definitely does not fit all. Just considering cow milk products, for example: There is the raw milk as opposed to pasteurized milk to think about. There are differing sensitivities based on which sort of cow produces the milk; many people are quite sensitive to milk from Holsteins, but tolerate milk from Guernseys, Jerseys, or Brown Swiss just fine. Many people cannot tolerate the casein in whole milk, who can tolerate whey protein just fine. So it is quite individual. Such a process in finding our own individual path to better health!

Thanks bmc65 for the supportive comment! There's so much information here to catch up on, I'll spend many hours and days and probably weeks at it!

Hello Tara,
    I read your heartwarming story, and just wanted to chime in. I am deeply sorry for the loss of your husband; I lost my brother a few years ago, and the stress over that started a chain of reactions that nearly killed me. All of the women here have helped me tremendously, and I am thankful for them. Healing is certainly a journey, and may it bring you a lot of happiness in the future.

Tara48, on the Wahls protocol I have had a great deal of improvement in many symptoms.
    Background — I became ill with CFIDS/ME (Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) in 1984 and was homebound, partially bedfast, not able to drive, etc. I was on narcotics that really didn't help the pain much and seizure medications.

On the Wahls protocol giving up grains my horrible migraines, 80% of my pain, joint swelling and some fatigue went away.

Giving up dairy (I was eating raw organic goat cheese) my chronic sinusitis, chronic bladder infections went away. Also my balance improved — I was surprised at how dairy affects my neurological system.

I already was not eating soy due to thyroid problems, so that wasn't new. I had been switching from vegetable oils to olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon fat and do much better with those fats. I find coconut oil helps with brain fog and memory problems for me.

I no longer take pain medication or seizure medication.

At this point I have improved from being about 10% functional to about 25% functional and am able to drive once a week within a five-mile radius. I started the Wahls protocol as my beloved husband was dying from prostate cancer in hopes that I would be able to stay in my own home and be able to take care of myself and my 6 kittehs. I believe that the Wahls protocol has given me the improvement to do this — it has been several years since he died and I am still in my own home.

Thanks, Reesacat, that is certainly a great endorsement for the Wahls protocol. I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband, thank goodness you improved enough to take care of yourself.

Thank you, Samurai,
    We know what loss can do. I am so happy to have found this site with all the wonderful, supportive people. I am indebted to Islander for ushering me in here.

Hi Islander, I should add that that is a very impressive improvement in your A1c. I hope I can get my Mom to check out this site, she has diabetes and it would be good for her to meet someone who has conquered it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information