Thread: One Theory To Explain Them All? The Vagus Nerve Infection Hypothesis for CFS

Default One Theory To Explain Them All? The Vagus Nerve Infection Hypothesis for CFS

Cort Johnson
    December 28, 2013

One Theory To Explain Them All? The Vagus Nerve Infection Hypothesis for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Big Theory

It could explain the Chronic Fatigue Initiatives pathogen study results. It could show how an infection could cause chronic fatigue syndrome, and then seemingly disappear. It integrates two of the biggest players in ME/CFS; the autonomic nervous system and the immune system. It focuses on the herpesviruses. It includes sensory nerves, an increasingly hot topic in ME/CFS/FM, and it follows an established model of fibromyalgia.

It’s the Vagus Nerve Infection Hypothesis (VNIH) for chronic fatigue syndrome, and it could change how this disorder is viewed, researched and treated.

Created by Michael VanElzakker, a Tufts neuroscientist, the VNIH proposes that nerve loving viruses trigger a difficult to detect immune response which produces the fatigue and other symptoms present in chronic fatigue syndrome.

To read the rest of the article go to:
    http://simmaronresearch.com/2013/12/...igue-syndrome/

Veteran Member

Default Re: One Theory To Explain Them All? The Vagus Nerve Infection Hypothesis for CFS

It seems to me that interfering with the vagus nerve might be a bad idea. I wonder if homeopathy, undertaken through an experienced, knowledgeable homeopath (NOT use of over-the-counter stuff) might be able to knock out the infection. I've had very good luck with homeopathy over the years, and I know it can treat issues that allopathic medicine doesn't have any answers for.

Default Re: One Theory To Explain Them All? The Vagus Nerve Infection Hypothesis for CFS

I find this fascinating. For me, the trigger appears to have been Epstein Barr meningitis in 1999.

Thread Information